Got new HR44 instead of HR54?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dmproske

Original poster
May 25, 2016
SE Texas
I've been a DTV customer since 2005, have had the protection plan as far back as I can remember. So I called to upgrade my HR24 to a Genie. Since their website says I could upgrade to the "Latest Technology" from DTV I asked over the phone which DVR I would be getting, since the HR54 is the most current. They said most likely a 54.
So today the tech comes out to do the install while I was at work. He installed a HR44. She asked why not a HR54. He said he did not have a HR54 to install, and that "HR54 IS FOR 4K SYSTEMS ONLY". I am throwing the BS flag on that. Also doesn't seem right to me that when using the upgrade on my protection plan that I am paying extra for, that I would not receive the latest equipment. I understand when replacing broken equipment you receive whatever is available, but I thought upgrading was different.

I am going to call them, but wanted to get educated here first. HR54 only for 4K??? Is that correct? If not should I have received a 54?
Thank you for the help.

I've been a DTV customer since 2005, have had the protection plan as far back as I can remember. So I called to upgrade my HR24 to a Genie. Since their website says I could upgrade to the "Latest Technology" from DTV I asked over the phone which DVR I would be getting, since the HR54 is the most current. They said most likely a 54.
So today the tech comes out to do the install while I was at work. He installed a HR44. She asked why not a HR54. He said he did not have a HR54 to install, and that "HR54 IS FOR 4K SYSTEMS ONLY". I am throwing the BS flag on that. Also doesn't seem right to me that when using the upgrade on my protection plan that I am paying extra for, that I would not receive the latest equipment. I understand when replacing broken equipment you receive whatever is available, but I thought upgrading was different.

I am going to call them, but wanted to get educated here first. HR54 only for 4K??? Is that correct? If not should I have received a 54?
Thank you for the help.

This isn't BS. It is true, HR54's are only installed on 4K true work orders which means to be promised a 54 you would have to be getting 4K content.

This isn't BS. It is true, HR54's are only installed on 4K true work orders which means to be promised a 54 you would have to be getting 4K content.
I'd go on to say that, as a SWAG, you'll be upgrading equipment in 3-5 years for whatever 4K actually turns out to be in terms of receiving equipment.

Really, DirecTV is so bleeding edge here that even the HR54 can only handle a channel of 4K viewing at a time.

Just my $0.02.

If ya don't have a 4K set (sounds like you don't) I wouldn't be too concerned about it, the HR44 is a very good reliable unit.

Now question I have, would be, say in 3-6 months he goes out and gets a 4K and wants his 4k signal.
He would have to call and upgrade again to a 54/61 ...
Does he have to pay addl. for these, seeing he'll probably (maybe) have to pay for the 44.
Is he stuck in a new 2 year commitment again ?

If ya don't have a 4K set (sounds like you don't) I wouldn't be too concerned about it, the HR44 is a very good reliable unit.

Now question I have, would be, say in 3-6 months he goes out and gets a 4K and wants his 4k signal.
He would have to call and upgrade again to a 54/61 ...
Does he have to pay addl. for these, seeing he'll probably (maybe) have to pay for the 44.
Is he stuck in a new 2 year commitment again ?
Yeah, that's the crappy part. He's stuck at this point and if he upgrades it'll cost him. We've been told of the work order is flagged 4K but doesn't have a 4K tv to remove the 4K client and add just a normal client.

Yeah, that's the crappy part. He's stuck at this point and if he upgrades it'll cost him. We've been told of the work order is flagged 4K but doesn't have a 4K tv to remove the 4K client and add just a normal client.
Maybe, when time comes, he can talk to them and explain the situation and they can work with him.

Personally, I wouldn't want the 54 ... unless I'm just playing with it.
I would much rather wait and see whats next, will there be a true HR 64 maybe, that does 4k all in one box ?

Reactions: AZ. and mdram
That was my situation when I researched it before my install, and talked to a user here. I knew you had to have a 4K display to get an HR54, but I didn't want to deal with the client. I just decided to go HR44 + HR24 and wait for hopefully a 4K DVR.

Big thing you dont want is an HR34!

Reactions: Jimbo
Well I stand corrected. This is the 1st I have heard of this. Hopefully my current TV will last a few years before I need to upgrade. 4k will be more mainstream by then. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well I stand corrected. This is the 1st I have heard of this. Hopefully my current TV will last a few years before I need to upgrade. 4k will be more mainstream by then. Thanks for the information.

IIRC, some have lucked up and gotten an HR54 because that is all the installer had (on a standard Genie install), but only way to ensure you got it over a 34/44 was a 4K note on your work order.

I made sure when the guy got here he had an HR44, because I was going to refuse the HR34.

You should not be upset sir, the HR-44 is great and the 54 is the same just 4k compatible and then you have to have a c61k mini to make it work. I honestly would rather have the 44 over the 54 because I am not chasing the dragon on this 4k crap. You will be very happy with the 44, good luck.

I got the 54 and it was not a specific 4K install although I do have a 4K tv I got c51 minis too - he had both a 44 and 54 on the truck the other diff is the power or something else is built in vs on the outside - everything is working great happy so far

the HR54's, while flagged for 4k jobs, still gather time on them. if you have a 54 without 4k, it was probably one the tech had to unload to avoid having to pay D* back. kinda stupid really.

Reactions: Hutch1814
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)