Got the Hopper 3 this morning.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
They came to install the upgrade from Hopper 2 to Hopper 3 today. Tech was awesome, he actually found some issues (corroded cable, and another cable end not properly installed) that the previous 3 techs (since Dec.) did not find. Played with it a little and the Hopper 3 seems a lot faster than the Hopper 2, it also sees a lot faster internet speed (109Mb vs. 69Mb on the same 100Mb service), so I would say this is going to take care of all the issues I had been having with juggling timers and also the VOD may work better with the faster speed through the receiver.

You are gonna love it! :)
I know, for the last few months I have had to check the schedule every night for overlapping timers and trying to keep at least 1 tuner available if someone wanted to watch something. Having to skip recordings and make sure that they record at a later time when no one would be watching (skipping the 10pm showing and recording at 2am instead) so this is going to be huge not having to watch the DVR schedule all the time. :)

I know, for the last few months I have had to check the schedule every night for overlapping timers and trying to keep at least 1 tuner available if someone wanted to watch something. Having to skip recordings and make sure that they record at a later time when no one would be watching (skipping the 10pm showing and recording at 2am instead) so this is going to be huge not having to watch the DVR schedule all the time. :)
The Hopper is the best. no recording conflicts for you now

Reactions: jannah
Yeah, I still have the Hopper w/s and the other night it missed recording one of my wife's favorite shows. I went into the timers and moved all of her and my favorites to the top, so they would not be missed again. Luckily, I found it "On Demand " a few days later and downloaded it for her. Actually, it would be nice if the Hopper added new timers at the bottom of the list, instead of the top. I only have the welcome pack, so it is hard to justify a Hopper 3.

Yeah, I still have the Hopper w/s and the other night it missed recording one of my wife's favorite shows. I went into the timers and moved all of her and my favorites to the top, so they would not be missed again. Luckily, I found it "On Demand " a few days later and downloaded it for her. Actually, it would be nice if the Hopper added new timers at the bottom of the list, instead of the top. I only have the welcome pack, so it is hard to justify a Hopper 3.

Yeah, I have the flex pack with several add on packages as well. Sometimes I could have 4 or 5 simultaneous recordings on a busy night (Tuesdays seem to have a lot of new episodes of popular shows) and that would require a lot of juggling and time shifting, especially if there was also a movie I decided I wanted to record.

Reactions: pattykay
There is an option for that. Menu > Settings > Timer Defaults > set Priority to Lowest instead of Highest. That should fix this problem for you. :)

(Actually, it is a good idea to keep checking that setting periodically, to make sure it actually stays set for Lowest. It tends to default back to Highest on its own, especially after a new software download.)

Enjoy the new $15.00 dvr fee. :eek:

That is the only drawback to the Hopper3 that I can think of . If you are good you can get a deal like $5.00 off for two years on your dvr fee like I did and it softens the pain a bit. But yes, over all you will love the Hopper 3 ,especially if you are coming from older receivers.

:yessign

That is the only drawback to the Hopper3 that I can think of . If you are good you can get a deal like $5.00 off for two years on your dvr fee like I did and it softens the pain a bit. But yes, over all you will love the Hopper 3 ,especially if you are coming from older receivers.

There aren't very many receiver models newer than the Hopper 3. :D

Reactions: TheKrell

I was already paying that for the Hopper with Sling so no difference.

I did notice that the VOD is much more responsive on the H3 than it was on the HWS+Snap. I do still very occasionally see buffering messages but they are much less often and they disappear very quickly rather than sitting there clocking like it used to do. So far very happy with the H3.

Reactions: TheKrell
And the ugly disfunctional hard to navigate carbon user interface. ;)
I used to dislike the Carbon interface when I first switched to a Wally. Then, I guess I got used to it. I tried experimenting with a deactivated original-model Hopper with the original Hopper interface, right before that receiver's software got upgraded to the Carbon UI. When it still had the old interface, I was lost, thinking "Why can't I find anything in the menus anymore?" Keep in mind that I had been quite familiar with that old interface back when I still had that model of Hopper activated on my account. It had not even been that long since I had stopped using that Hopper, but it must have been long enough for me to forget where everything was. I was so glad when the now-familiar Carbon interface showed up on the deactivated Hopper. (The Hopper I was experimenting with had a failed hard drive, so it only had limited functionality. Therefore, I did not get to fully see how bad the Carbon interface may have been on that model, functionality-wise. This was way back in the pre-Hopper Snap days, so it probably would have been pretty slow.)

Quick question on the Hopper 3. Yesterday I was checking things out and went to the TV activity screen through options. It showed tuners 1-3 normally and then tuner 4 showed updating guide (same as when it was installed on Tuesday) and it would not show any other tuners. Is this normal? Does it need a reset or something to complete the guide update on the other tuners? Thanks for any suggestions.

It only lists active tuners.

If you want to see a list of 16 tuners,
Say, just for demo/curiosity
Schedule 16 separate recording for same time
Then look at tv activity list.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

It only lists active tuners.

If you want to see a list of 16 tuners,
Say, just for demo/curiosity
Schedule 16 separate recording for same time
Then look at tv activity list.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!
There is an easier way.

Press Menu twice or the Home button three times.
Then select Status > Send Status > Test Signal
(You will have to complete the Test Connections (Internet) test on that page first, before it will let you Test Signal.)
The resulting table will show you all of your tuners, along with signal strengths for select transponders on each satellite.
(I only have a Wally, so mine only shows two tuners. This should work for a Hopper 3, though.)

You will only see tuners that are active. At the top of that screen you would see 4 of 16 Tuners in Use. There is a single guide. When that guide is updating it will use the next available tuner to download. So, if you were watching 2 different programs on two different TVs (Hopper3 and Joey) and were recording 3 other programs as well as getting a guide download you might see 6 tuners in use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts