Grandfathered distant networks?

Chris Walker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
I called Dish a couple days ago to correct an error on my statement, and while on the phone with the CSR she mentioned that my locals are available in a free SuperDish upgrade(yes I know, I intentionally avoid adding them since they are crap) and I politely told her I didn't want them and I am happy with my NY and LA feeds and she said "well you are grandfathered for those". My understanding is that the grandfathering ends December 31, is there any chance this will be extended? Are they just planning on automatically switching people over January 1? That would really not sit well with me, I even had a signal test done way back when to prove to Dish my signal is not that great just so I can get the east/west channels. Can anyone explain to me more about what will happen if/when this grandfathering is not renewed?

You've hit upon a real sore spot! I had the East & West DishNets for 9 or so years when they took them away because my locals had become available. So much for being grandfathered. Not only are my locals crap stations that preempt network programming all the time, but Dish must be using the rabbit ears in some car dealer's customer lounge for reception because the picture is amazingly, unbelievably horrible.

I lost my grandfathered locals about 2 weeks ago. About 3 days before they were turned off I got a call with a recorded message from E* saying that they could not offer me those locals anymore. I had them from the DFW area. So now I am without ABC for Monday night football. It's amazing how much better the DFW locals look compared to my Wichta Falls locals.

LosingPatience said:
You've hit upon a real sore spot! I had the East & West DishNets for 9 or so years when they took them away because my locals had become available. So much for being grandfathered. Not only are my locals crap stations that preempt network programming all the time, but Dish must be using the rabbit ears in some car dealer's customer lounge for reception because the picture is amazingly, unbelievably horrible.

I thought locals becoming available had nothing to do with ability to get the distants? I thought it was all about if you could get a signal with an antenna or not? I would have definitely called Dish if I were in your shoes and asked them why after 9 years you weren't "grandfathered" for those channels. I have had to fight the local affiliates a couple times over the years, but it has been worth it to retain the NY and LA feeds. And I really don't feel bad at all about not watching the locals as I think preemption of network programming for local programming is totally unacceptable. I also have seen my local channels, and the NY and LA feeds look 100x better quality wise. Dish is definitely getting a quality fiber feed from NY and LA, but my locals look like they are picked up through rabbit ears. :eek:

Chris Walker said:
I thought locals becoming available had nothing to do with ability to get the distants?
CORRECT...
I thought it was all about if you could get a signal with an antenna or not?
you have to be outside a Grade B area
I would have definitely called Dish if I were in your shoes and asked them why after 9 years you weren't "grandfathered" for those channels. I have had to fight the local affiliates a couple times over the years, but it has been worth it to retain the NY and LA feeds. And I really don't feel bad at all about not watching the locals as I think preemption of network programming for local programming is totally unacceptable. I also have seen my local channels, and the NY and LA feeds look 100x better quality wise. Dish is definitely getting a quality fiber feed from NY and LA, but my locals look like they are picked up through rabbit ears. :eek:
I'd call them too. If you didnt change anything to your account, they really can't nuke them unless you DONT qualify. Run an address on Dish Network and see what it comes back as.

Just a reminder folks, don't blame E* (or even D*) for these changes - all this is in the hands of the politicians, the FCC, and their ilk. Dish and Direct are doing (somewhat grudgingly) what they are forced to do - they want to make money and charging you for these distants is a way to do it...why would they just throw that away unless somewhere higher up is forcing them to do so.

farmsatguy speaketh truth.

D* E* V* and everybody else would LOVE to be able to SELL you as many channels as you want. Heaven for Charlie is EVERY subscriber having 4 sets of network feeds (like me ;) ).

KRDO ABC-TV Colorado Springs SUCKS.
Boycott their advertisers.
They took away all my "other" ABC feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)