MASN and NBC Regional Sports Networks removed from DISH TV, SLING TV

What does the data show. How many customers have they lost with no sports channels?

Forgot to mention that when my parents were in New York, I signed them up for DISH because I was so satisfied.

When DISH dropped MSG Network and my father couldn’t get Rangers games anymore, we had to switch them to FIOS.

The upside for me was that since I paid for their FIOS subscription, I was able to use the MSG app to get Rangers and Islanders games when DISH had me blacked out when the teams were playing the California teams.

Are they really? All those nonsense channels are cheap to carry. Helps DISH say they have 220 channels or whatever it is. Most are junk.
Those are just the low hanging fruit. I'm subsidizing all the Discovery network channels, Fox News, all of the ViacomCBS channels, all of the A&E Networks, etc.

Reactions: AZ.
Those are just the low hanging fruit. I'm subsidizing all the Discovery network channels, Fox News, all of the ViacomCBS channels, all of the A&E Networks, etc.
I'm getting tired of all these I don't want to pay for I don't use arguments.

Yes, aside from sports channels that I like, my wife regularly watches Viacom, Discovery, A&E - as do I for some - if not many.

Y'know what - I LIKE having a package that gives me channels that I may not always watch. I get a chance to see some other information rather than my own small world.

For example, I tuned into a channel I wasn't familiar with several years ago and learned about an almost nuclear war in 1983 because of a U.S. screw up with a test. This led to Reagan dealing with the teardown of the Berlin wall.

So, in the same vein, do you have kids that use the school system? Why should people who don't have kids pay taxes to send your kids to school?

This is a society, as far as that is concerned. And a TV subscription can be thought of in the same way. Although DISH is screwing me with sports - I am able to see things I may not otherwise be aware of, I get to be enlightened at times with NATGEO or whatever.

I would also prefer to not be provided the a$$hole coverage at FOX news but for the folks who want to see it - it's part of their package.

And when you get down to it - if you only pay for the stuff you WANT to see, it's gonna cost you more in the long run to pay each individual channel + subscription plus your data and whatever data caps apply.

Right, I'm making an inelegant argument. Whenever it's sports, people cry about subsidizing them but paying for their stuff is just expected. I subsidize their shows and networks too, more than they subsidize my sports.

Right, I'm making an inelegant argument. Whenever it's sports, people cry about subsidizing them but paying for their stuff is just expected. I subsidize their shows and networks too, more than they subsidize my sports.
Buy watching TV we are subsidizing a lot of stuff.

Pretty sure the reason with the RSN model being broken is how much more expensive they are over other sports channels.
What are the prices of these channels? I know they were way less than RSNs
MLB/NHL Network are a much better value.
NBATV
CBSSN
NBCSN (I know ending at the end of the year sometime)
FS1/2/Bigten
NFL Network what is the new price per month?

Yes I know Espn is the most expensive channel on TV, but that's as an package deal with so many channels.
With ESPN owning MLB/NHL network now they'll be part of the ESPN/Disney bundle when the contracts are up.

I subscribe to Locals Only, so neither one of us is subsidizing the other. You are not paying for my locals, and I am not paying for your sports. Now, if only they had a Sports Only package, we would both be happy.

When did Disney buy MLB NHL network?
That's just it, they didn't and it doesn't seem to be in the pipeline. Somebody is misinformed and passing that misinformation on. The MLB Network is owned by MLB, AT&T, Comcast, Charter and Cox. The NHL Network is owned by the NHL and NBC Universal.

Reactions: pattykay
That's just it, they didn't and it doesn't seem to be in the pipeline. Somebody is misinformed and passing that misinformation on. The MLB Network is owned by MLB, AT&T, Comcast, Charter and Cox. The NHL Network is owned by the NHL and NBC Universal.
The only thing they have in common is they are both in the same building.

MLB Advanced Media(which Disney bought or whatever the stake is) runs both NHL and MLB Network.

If it's wrong then those articles were wrong. Which said Disney was forced to sell the RSNs.

Pretty sure the reason with the RSN model being broken is how much more expensive they are over other sports channels.
What are the prices of these channels? I know they were way less than RSNs
MLB/NHL Network are a much better value.
NBATV
CBSSN
NBCSN (I know ending at the end of the year sometime)
FS1/2/Bigten
NFL Network what is the new price per month?

Yes I know Espn is the most expensive channel on TV, but that's as an package deal with so many channels.
With ESPN owning MLB/NHL network now they'll be part of the ESPN/Disney bundle when the contracts are up.

I don't know all of them, but this link gives the average cost from Sept. 2020, which had NFL Network at $1.79 per subscriber, FS1 at $1.04 (same as ESPN2), Big 10 at 59 cents. Virtual Multichannel Carriage: Sports Networks

There is a chart from 4 years ago that gives the estimated cost of the others, but once again, 4 years old. Has CBS Sports Network at 26 cents per subscriber, NBA TV at 30 cents a subscriber, MLB Network at 28 cents a subscriber, NBCSN and Golf channel combined was at 68 cents, Tennis Channel at 15 cents a subscriber.

Even at 4 years ago, all those other channels, even if they doubled in cost, is significantly less than the ESPN networks.