Gray To Acquire Schurz Communications, Inc.'s Television And Radio Stations

One thing that pops up in the Scottsbluff market that hasn't been addressed.

Gray is going to make KDUH a satellite of KNOP North Platte. But right now KSTF (satellite of CBS 5 in Cheyenne) has 2 subs. NBC (KCWY) from Cheyenne and CW+.
I assume Gray would drop the NBC on KSTF because they probably would want folks to watch KDUH for NBC. Or would they keep it and give viewers 2 different NBC options OTA?

Charter gives customers KUSA from Denver (I assume that would be dropped when KDUH changes to ABC). Charter would have to import an ABC (assume from Denver) if nobody picks up the ABC there

Allo Communications gives them both Denver and KSTF-DT2 (but on the Allo site it says "9News Only" so they must black out any duplicate programming)

MORE changes in Scottsbluff. They are going to KEEP ABC and ADD NBC as a sub...oh they are now KNEP too
AND they are going to add local news down the road

http://www.ne-ba.org/news_and_events-news.asp?id=467

Gray Television Inc. is pleased to announce its acquisition of KNEP-TV – the former KDUH-TV on Channel 7 – and our plans for expanding local service to viewers in the Nebraska Panhandle.

KNEP-TV continues to carry ABC and other programming from KOTA in Rapid City on Channel 7. In a few months, we will add NBC and Nebraska news, weather, and sports content to a “sub-channel” of the station that should be visible to everyone who now receives KNEP-TV on Channel 7.

Local viewers will not lose anything. In fact, the local community will effectively gain a second station that is truly local to the Nebraska Panhandle.

This exciting expansion will include the addition of live local evening newscasts dedicated to serving viewers in North-Western Nebraska. The newsroom staff in Scottsbluff will soon have access to the latest news-gathering technology, including the ability to report live on-the-scene throughout the viewing area. The station also will offer live, local weather forecasts for the first in its history.

Scottsbluff will become an integral part of “Nebraska’s News and Information Network” - a successful collaboration among our stations in North Platte, Hastings, Grand Island, Lincoln and Omaha. This powerful connection gives our news organizations direct access to important stories happening anywhere in the state, including breaking news, severe weather, the Nebraska Legislature and Husker Sports coverage. Our stations, and soon KNEP-TV, also can report on local news of interest that occurs in Washington and in political circles through our very own Washington, DC, news bureau.

We welcome the staff of KNEP-TV into the Gray Television Family and look forward to serving our viewers.

http://kneb.com/regional-news/maag-...-produced-news-part-of-gray-purchase-changes/

Panhandle residents will see more of a Nebraska-based television station when changes involved with Gray Television’s purchase of the former KDUH-TV are finalized.

General Manager Patrick Maag says KNEP-TV, the former KDUH, will continue to carry ABC and other programming from KOTA in Rapid City. But he says in a few months a new sub-channel will add NBC plus Nebraska news, weather, and sports through affiliates in central and eastern Nebraska.

Maag says the expansion will include the addition of locally produced newscasts here in Scottsbluff, including the ability to report live on-the-scene throughout the viewing area. The station also will offer live, local weather forecasts for the first time in its history.

Maag says there is no definitive timeline for completion of the expansion, but he believes it will be just a few months.

MeTV and ThisTV are being dropped there

http://www.kotatv.com/news/nebraska...some-changes-for-scottsbluff-station/38049426

MeTV and ThisTV may no longer be available to viewers in Wyobraska, but there are changes coming to the television landscape that we think you'll be excited about.

With the purchase by Gray Television, what used to be KDUH-TV is now KNEP-TV.

ABC and other KOTA Territory programming will still be carried on channel 4 and in the coming months, NBC, Nebraska news, weather and sports will be added to a sub-channel that should be visible to everyone currently watching now.

as I was editing my post above....Technically the Nebraska side is only one county. Everything else around it is Denver DMA.

I dont see Nielsen ever breaking up a market to 2 separate markets.....They havent joined any markets together (which would be more logical in some areas). They're going to leave the 210 DMA's as is

One thing that pops up in the Scottsbluff market that hasn't been addressed.

Gray is going to make KDUH a satellite of KNOP North Platte. But right now KSTF (satellite of CBS 5 in Cheyenne) has 2 subs. NBC (KCWY) from Cheyenne and CW+.
I assume Gray would drop the NBC on KSTF because they probably would want folks to watch KDUH for NBC. Or would they keep it and give viewers 2 different NBC options OTA?

Charter would have to import an ABC (assume from Denver) if nobody picks up the ABC there

Allo Communications gives them both Denver and KSTF-DT2 (but on the Allo site it says "9News Only" so they must black out any duplicate programming)
Well we can scratch off the ABC issue for cable there now.

But the question for OTA still lies. Wonder if Gray will drop the NBC subchannel on KSTF that is on there right now?

And right now Scottsbluff has no FOX.
boy nothing gets by you eh?
It was noted waaaaay back in the thread (again I guess you dont read previous posts) :rolleyes:

BTW, they could take a few counties from Denver and add them to the new Scottsbluff DMA.
Nielsen is the only one who can do that and its done once a year. That would also require the cable companies in the area to have to change out the affiliates since most areas around there that are in the Denver DMA only carry ABC, CBS & PBS from Scottsbluff.

And its not new. Its still "Cheyenne-Scottsbluff"

I see Trip made some updates to the Rapid City area. Don't know if they took effect yet (or when they will)

He shows
KOTA on RF7 mapping to PSIP 3-1 (ABC)
KHME on RF2 (and 18) mapping to 23-1 (MeTV) and 23-2 (This)
KEVN-LD on RF23 mapping to 7-1 (FOX)

Now whether or not they will keep FOX also on RF7 still is anybodys guess. It looks like the LP station will cover Rapid City fine

KHME is definitely on 23-x according to very reliable information. The other information is somewhat less reliable but I am inclined to believe it.

I also have reason to believe KIVV may be 5-1 and 5-2 with KQME staying as 11-1 and 11-2 but I can't confirm it so I've not updated it yet.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
Bruce here in Alliance Ne 54 miles from Scottsbluff, before grey screwed things up we had a very nice free to air selection 9 channels as follows
4.1abc 4.2 me (classic TV) 4.3 this (movies)
10.1 CBS 10.2 NBC 10.3 CW
13.1 PBS 13.2 PBS news 13.3 create ( hobby's & crafts)

Many quite cable & satelitte, we had a great free to air line up now grey has screwed it up me and this are a huge loss!!

One has to wonder if this is a conspiracy by cable??????

Does KSTF's signal even make it to Alliance? My maps say no, but my maps also assume a receive antenna height of 13 feet.

- Trip

Welcome Bruce :wave:
Many quite cable & satelitte, we had a great free to air line up now grey has screwed it up me and this are a huge loss!!

One has to wonder if this is a conspiracy by cable??????

I dont understand that comment. I think the reasoning for Gray to be dropping Me & This there is 2 fold
-They are going to be adding NBC as a sub on the ABC. It will be a satellite feed from North Platte but later this year they will have their own local news
-In Rapid City (where the ABC station you get is the "mothership" as part of the deal for buying Schurz there they sold the frequency (RF2) there to another company. As part of the deal the new company kept the Me & This stations and Gray just wanted the KOTA callsign, ABC programming and the use of 3-1 for PSIP. Since they no longer have Me or This on the "mothership", it would be hard for them to keep it on the satellite stations. It could be done but will take some changing at the station level. They may possibly bring back MeTV (they do have 2 HD signals & MeTV in other markets)

Cable wont gain anything. They only carry Me & This on cable because its on a local station. When its dropped it will leave cable too

I dont understand that comment. I think the reasoning for Gray to be dropping Me & This there is 2 fold
-They are going to be adding NBC as a sub on the ABC. It will be a satellite feed from North Platte but later this year they will have their own local news
-In Rapid City (where the ABC station you get is the "mothership" as part of the deal for buying Schurz there they sold the frequency (RF2) there to another company. As part of the deal the new company kept the Me & This stations and Gray just wanted the KOTA callsign, ABC programming and the use of 3-1 for PSIP. Since they no longer have Me or This on the "mothership", it would be hard for them to keep it on the satellite stations. It could be done but will take some changing at the station level. They may possibly bring back MeTV (they do have 2 HD signals & MeTV in other markets)

Cable wont gain anything. They only carry Me & This on cable because its on a l

Cable wont gain anything. They only carry Me & This on cable because its on a local station. When its dropped it will leave cable too

Thanks for the welcome

Does grey or charter own each other? By killing. 2 great channels it leaves a void, as for having a second NBC totally do not need 2 , as for local news from North Platte don't need it either, expansion of ABC panhadel news would suffice on 4.1 our weather patterns out here are close to rapid & Cheyenne, North Platte can be off by 20 degrees. North Platte is close to170 miles away so there news not as important as Scottsbluff.

If they can't bring me & this back there are many subchannel options that could fill the void with a classic TV channel and a movie channel, I have quit watching 4.1 untill they fix there mistake. I joined Amazon PRI to help fill the void, and stream the weather & news I need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts