Gray To Acquire Schurz Communications, Inc.'s Television And Radio Stations

Thanks for the welcome

Does grey or charter own each other?
no. Gray owns TV stations and Charter is just a cable company.

But Charter (or any cable company) **IN MOST CASES** only carries the subchannels when they are on a local OTA station in the market. So by KDUH (KNEP) dropping Me & This then Charter (and Allo) will drop them too. There are a few cases where its kept (mainly on AT&T U-Verse) but for most cases they will be dropped

By killing. 2 great channels it leaves a void, as for having a second NBC totally do not need 2 , as for local news from North Platte don't need it either, expansion of ABC panhadel news would suffice on 4.1 our weather patterns out here are close to rapid & Cheyenne, North Platte can be off by 20 degrees. North Platte is close to170 miles away so there news not as important as Scottsbluff.
No what I mean is this summer the NBC which will be carried as a sub on channel 4 will be a local (Scottsbluff and areas around it) news. Not from North Platte or Cheyenne. The one question I've asked a couple times is will Gray drop the NBC on 10-2 in the area (thus wanting/forcing you to watch the new NBC on 4-2)

If they can't bring me & this back there are many subchannel options that could fill the void with a classic TV channel and a movie channel, I have quit watching 4.1 untill they fix there mistake. I joined Amazon PRI to help fill the void, and stream the weather & news I need.
part of the issue is bandwidth. When they add NBC to 4 that will give them 2 HD stations. They can add one SD station (like I say they do this in a few areas...North Dakota being one area. NBC on -1, in the west FOX on -2 in the East CBS on -2 and MetTV on -3. They could keep it. Best thing is to have folks in your area e-mail/facebook/call KOTA and tell them not to drop MeTV on Scottsbluff station.

from a previous post about the news

This exciting expansion will include the addition of live local evening newscasts dedicated to serving viewers in North-Western Nebraska. The newsroom staff in Scottsbluff will soon have access to the latest news-gathering technology, including the ability to report live on-the-scene throughout the viewing area. The station also will offer live, local weather forecasts for the first in its history.

no. But Charter (or any cable company) **IN MOST CASES** only carries the subchannels when they are on a local OTA station in the market. So by KDUH (KNEP) dropping Me & This then Charter (and Allo) will drop them too. There are a few cases where its kept (mainly on AT&T U-Verse) but for most cases they will be dropped

No what I mean is this summer the NBC which will be carried as a sub on channel 4 will be a local (Scottsbluff and areas around it) news. Not from North Platte or Cheyenne. The one question I've asked a couple times is will Gray drop the NBC on 10-2 in the area (thus wanting/forcing you to watch the new NBC on 4-2)

part of the issue is bandwidth. When they add NBC to 4 that will give them 2 HD stations. They can add one SD station (like I say they do this in a few areas...North Dakota being one area. NBC on -1, in the west FOX on -2 in the East CBS on -2 and MetTV on -3. They could keep it. Best thing is to have folks in your area e-mail/facebook/call KOTA and tell them not to drop MeTV on Scottsbluff station.

We have been and the rep I spoke with said the phone has been ringing non stop since they turned them off. If phone keeps ringing maybe they will put them back, since it was part of the deal to allow them to buy ABC maybe a shift is possible since grey also owns CBS they could take .2 NBC and .3 CW and put them on Abc which could open up a spot to put Me & This On 10.2 and 10.3 I see that Grey still carries these two channels as subs on other stations that they own. Just sad to see an acquisition screw up things, if it ant broke don't fix it.

We have been and the rep I spoke with said the phone has been ringing non stop since they turned them off. If phone keeps ringing maybe they will put them back, since it was part of the deal to allow them to buy ABC
They don't have to drop Me & This in Scottsbluff or Sheridan, WY. Part of the deal goes to the Rapid City area where they (Gray) would have owned 2 of the 4 highest ranked stations which you cant anymore. So they moved ABC (KOTA) to a subchannel of their owned FOX station (KEVN) which they CAN do. They sold the rest of the stuff to a different company (which included everything but the KOTA call sign, the 3.1 mapping number and ABC programming). So there is a station with Me & This as programming.

Why they couldnt keep at least MeTV when they add NBC is very odd honestly.

maybe a shift is possible since grey also owns CBS they could take .2 NBC and .3 CW and put them on Abc which could open up a spot to put Me & This On 10.2 and 10.3
I dont think they can do that and it goes to the point that 10 is a satellite station of the CBS in Cheyenne. (now you would know more about this than I would as you are there) but reading it looks like all they do is change a couple shows (because they are carried on KDUH) and commercials. Since its a satellite station they normally have to carry the programming as is. They can elect to not carry the full slate that is on the "mother" station...but I don't think they can substitute stations on the satellite station. So they couldn't have CBS -1, NBC -2, CW-3 on KGWN Cheyenne and CBS -1, Me-2 This -3 on KSTF 10 in Scottsbluff but they could drop NBC from 10 if they wanted (to make folks watch the "local" NBC when they add it. I'm sure Trip (who runs the rabbitears site and actually works for the FCC) would know about this more.

I see that Grey still carries these two channels as subs on other stations that they own. Just sad to see an acquisition screw up things, if it ant broke don't fix it.
it has to go back really to what the station (KDUH 4) is. A satellite station which is a full power station of ANOTHER full power station. So now that Gray doesnt have Me & This on the "mother station" (KOTA) they don't pass it through to the satellite station.

OK, I have been looking around, wow Denver has a regular over air cable looks like over 100 channels by anttena. I would love to be able to check out some of there channels retro, comet, ant, my, cozi, buzzer, weather n, movie me this. I counted over 16 that I would check out if I could, sad that none I have checked out are streaming online yet.

Are any of these on FTA on satelitte? I been considering getting a small ku movable dish.

Thanks bruce

Are any of these on FTA on satelitte? I been considering getting a small ku movable dish.
retro, comet, ant, my, cozi, buzzer, weather n, movie me this.
all except for AntennaTV can be had with a C-Band (6 foot or greater) dish (AntennaTv is scrambled on big dish)

edit: Cozi is on KU Band

as of tomorrow NBC Nebraska Scottsbluff goes live at noon MDT on BOTH 4-2 AND 10-2. They have some videos about it on their facebook page

from northpine

Full-length newscasts on Gray TV's new "NBC Nebraska Scottsbluff" channel are due to begin Thursday (5/5). "NBC Nebraska Scottsbluff" will be simulcast on channel 4.2 of KDUH and channel 10.2 of KSTF, as well as Charter cable channel 8 and DISH Network channel 11, according to a promo posted on the station's Facebook page. The newscasts originating from Scottsbluff will air weekdays at Noon, 6 p.m., and 10 p.m. and weekends at 10 p.m. They will apparently share some staff with other Gray TV stations in Nebraska, based on staff bios posted on the stations' websites. The change follows Gray's purchase of KDUH as part of the Schurz Communications deal. News updates from the station have suggested that 4.1 will continue to relay Gray ABC affiliate KOTA-TV (Rapid City) and 10.1 will continue to relay Gray CBS affiliate KGWN (Cheyenne). Channel 10.2 had previously relayed Gray NBC affiliate KCWY (Casper).

From what I've read they are going to carry KNOP from North Platte there as the NBC (but with different news) but looking at daytime schedules there are a couple shows that they will have to change on the schedule as they are already on stations in the Scottsbluff/Cheyenne area (mainly Phil and Dr Oz and Wheel) or they may just black them out

Or since they are all Gray stations maybe they won't change the programming (but assume they will)

Here is their promotional video (which mentions both 4-2 & 10-2)
one interesting thing is they say "Dish Network channel 11"...however that is NBC Cheyenne (KCWY)

another video
When he mentions KOTA news done as of Monday it sounded confusing (like they were pulling it from the satellite station there) but it more sounds like KOTA wont have anymore news pertinent to Scottsbluff

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamesjimcie
sounds like the NBC Scottsbluff news went off without a hitch per a couple articles/reports

The only hitch so far from reports was that Charter didnt switch the station from the NBC Cheyenne station to the new NBC Scottsbluff

We are live! But we are aware Charter customers can't see us!! WE ARE WORKING ON IT!! Thanks for your patience!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)