Great 60 Mbps download speeds. but what is up with the 5Mbps upload limit?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

razorphreak900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
tampa bay area
Hello everybody, long time since I have been on here and glad to see this forum/site still is around :]

In this family we have all enjoyed the services of bhn and it is RARE that we have any issues with the company.
I have always had understanding of tech stuff so I can understand many things.

but maybe anybody could give me a heads up on the reason why the upload bandwidth is, well in all honesty pathetic. I much rather have a slower download and have a better upload in my opinion. we went from 40 to 60 Mbps (witch is great on that part) in hope that the upload bandwidth would be upgraded as well, but was not.

is it something bhn is not able to handle? to expensive? either way i know bhn is quite advanced and they always have a very smooth running system.

once again, we are happy either way and would still keep supporting bhn due to their great services and stable system. at least for us it has been :]

cheers :happyd2:

Last edited:
No not ignored....truth be told the vast majority of users don't use the 5mbps they already have...in fact not even close. Thats said...keep tuning in...you never know what good things might come your way.

I think that the thinking in the past was they did not want to provide an upload speed that would allow people to set up servers which would have lots of outbound (upload) traffic.

Not the case. If that were the issue we would have just blocked the ports needed to do that....you will notice don't block anything but port 25 and some trojan ports.

Signs of life :eek: lol.

I could agree that the upload is not the worst, but I disagree being told that any higher is unnecessary. I remember when bhn was "not worried" about their 40 Mbps service speeds compared to the fios line up, because like you just said "people do not need it or want it" (yes i know not everybody needs it, nor can afford it) and then bam, bh jumped to 60Mbps in no time lol. due to competition or not, it was a nice upgrade. I still believe the upload should have at least been fair to see an extra 5 Mbps to show off the new speeds from bhn. if I did not "need it" i would have not been disappointed with the 5Mbps speeds. when it comes to having a family that uses the net often, especially on the gaming part and lets say i would try to upload pics on walgreens, etc, at the same time. it takes a short while, or in upload sense, one can tell when the bandwidth is being used up. I am used to a much faster upload service, so i can tell.

as for what people do with it, that is on them, i believe with so many legal services and great technology, i could not see the need for anybody to be torrenting, stealing and sharing by using up all the "extra bandwidth". anyways thanks for the reply, nice to see some life form going on around here still :p lol

happy easter! :]

Not the case. If that were the issue we would have just blocked the ports needed to do that....you will notice don't block anything but port 25 and some trojan ports.

Blocking ports does nothing to help prevent users from putting up their own servers. It is to easy to put the server on a different port.

Blocking ports does nothing to help prevent users from putting up their own servers. It is to easy to put the server on a different port.

If it's a personal server you are correct however if you plan to do anything commercial with it that is a problem you need to be on port 80.

Signs of life :eek: lol.

I could agree that the upload is not the worst, but I disagree being told that any higher is unnecessary. I remember when bhn was "not worried" about their 40 Mbps service speeds compared to the fios line up, because like you just said "people do not need it or want it" (yes i know not everybody needs it, nor can afford it) and then bam, bh jumped to 60Mbps in no time lol. due to competition or not, it was a nice upgrade. I still believe the upload should have at least been fair to see an extra 5 Mbps to show off the new speeds from bhn. if I did not "need it" i would have not been disappointed with the 5Mbps speeds. when it comes to having a family that uses the net often, especially on the gaming part and lets say i would try to upload pics on walgreens, etc, at the same time. it takes a short while, or in upload sense, one can tell when the bandwidth is being used up. I am used to a much faster upload service, so i can tell.

as for what people do with it, that is on them, i believe with so many legal services and great technology, i could not see the need for anybody to be torrenting, stealing and sharing by using up all the "extra bandwidth". anyways thanks for the reply, nice to see some life form going on around here still :p lol

happy easter! :]

Please don't put words in my mouth...where did you see me say "people don't need or want it"...what I said was the vast majority of folks don't use what they have now so your statement of "pathetic" is your personal opinion but as it applies to the masses is unjustified. Services are offered as the masses adopt them not the single user...sorry it just doesn't work like that. We are however watching this closely and you never know what might be in your future....

The upload speed is a technical issue, mainly where the signal travels makes it harder to push faster speeds.

The down stream is on very high frequencies in the 600mhz and higher range. Where as the upstream (your upload) is on sub low frequnices in the 15-35mhz range (below channel 2 which is 55mhz). Now in that range you have a TON of noise. That requires your system to be very tight to make it work well. With Docsis 3 and channel bonding this is ever so important to keep that bond. If you every notice your upload go slow but your downstream is fine it could be an issue of noise not letting that bond happen, or just giving you poor quality. As it is your upload is using what is called "QAM16" . Which allows a certain amount of data to be carried and at certain bit rates, and has a fairly decent tolerance for noise (you can drop in the 20 or below SNR range and still have acceptable service although most providers try to keep it in the 25-30+ range) Where as your downstream is running on QAM256 which allows for MUCH more data and faster bit rates. The problem with QAM256 is it requires a much higher SNR to work properly. So you can run it without much issue on the downstream because there is less noise and it is easier to maintain. But if you switch the upstream to QAM256 you would have to have a system with a MUCH higher noise threshold. In the 35-40 range which is very hard to maintain because you have a very large number of items that cause noise. You have 2-300+ homes connected to a single node and if just 1 of those houses has a large enough noise problem the entire node can go down as far as your internet is concerned.

So from a technical stand point the upstream is very limited compared to the down stream. And they cant just simply change the upstream frequency to a higher one like the downstream is, without completely changeing the entire cable plant. (As the "return/upstream") is handled in the amplifiers using diplex filters that specifically target the upstream range (between 2-45mhz)

Dont expect Fios style upload speeds on cable until the cable companies GREATLY reduce the number of homes per node, and make the technical upgrades needed to support this.

Thank you insider' this was the kind of answer I was looking for. Mr bhtech I never meant to say anything that you never said or werote and make assumptions, it was my opinion and was just sharing how I view things. As for bhn i always know they come up with new things and improvements. It is one of tbe reasons i like the company :)

Ditto on the thanks to Insider.

That was a great technical explanation and added a lot of understanding to the subject.

Yea I always appreciated a straight up answer, and from a non ( at least that i would know of lol) searchable search engine answer.

I hope every one of you's had a great Easter, whether u worked or not :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts