Great buy at Best Buy on new BD's

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I have been waiting for Braveheart to come out on BD for awhile and now it is out. So I go into Best Buy to check prices and see that they have it for $22.99! Same price as Amazon.com!

Not done, if you buy both Braveheart and Gladiator at the same time you get another $10 off at the register!! Now we are at $17.99!!! Boy, I am glad that Best Buy does not do this every Tuesday on new releases or else I would have to stop eating lunch!:)

Still not done as both titles offer another $10 off (in a rebate) if you send in the UPC from the original DVD!!! That makes these titles from Paramont only $7.99 each!

I don't know about you, but if I could replace my favorite DVD's for a BD copy for just $7.99 each I would do it everytime. This is just a great deal from both Best Buy and Paramount. Now if the other studios would just follow suit then my wife would not get upset everytime I replace a favorite DVD with a new BD release.:D

The downside is that I read that the Gladiator transfer is not very good at all. :(

I think the best non-knee jerk review is Ralph over at AVS. From what I gather, unless you have the one release with 6.1 DTS, the PQ is a good improvement and SQ is definitely an upgrade. It's got some issues for sure, good, but not worthy of what they hypes the Sapphire Series as. Sad too. I am gonna rent it, then decide if it's enough to not buy it since it is one of favorites.

I think the best non-knee jerk review is Ralph over at AVS. From what I gather, unless you have the one release with 6.1 DTS, the PQ is a good improvement and SQ is definitely an upgrade. It's got some issues for sure, good, but not worthy of what they hypes the Sapphire Series as. Sad too. I am gonna rent it, then decide if it's enough to not buy it since it is one of favorites.

I picked the two up after seeing the post on the software deals thread. The Picture quality on Gladiator is definitely better than the DVD including the 6.1 DTS (which I have). However it looks like the scenes that were heavyly CGI have some of the problems talked about. Perhaps its that way on the original film. :D Not owning a print of the film a can't make a comparison.

I picked the two up after seeing the post on the software deals thread. The Picture quality on Gladiator is definitely better than the DVD including the 6.1 DTS (which I have). However it looks like the scenes that were heavyly CGI have some of the problems talked about. Perhaps its that way on the original film. :D Not owning a print of the film a can't make a comparison.

Glad I could help ;)

I haven't gotten to Gladiator yet, but I would have expected it to have the better picture, given that it's a more recent movie. Of course, the DVD had a pretty darn good picture, so maybe it's just a comparison of the difference that's not all that favorable - I'll have to check it out....

In the meantime, here's a good middle-of-the-road review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2524/gladiator.html

I just watched Braveheart last night, and the picture on that, for a 15-year-old film, was fantastic. Really brought out the colors of the grass, uniforms, face paint, blood, etc.... The only downside was that a lot of the background fighting in the battles was a lot more noticable, and there's some pretty cheesy stuff going on back there... :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts