Toshiba Finally Talking Blu-ray

That's about time! Hope to see first players announced by CEDIA, or by next CES the latest.

Maybe they can make a player that doesn't have the freezeup problem all the others seem to have.

Maybe they can make a player that doesn't have the freezeup problem all the others seem to have.

Never had a freeze up problem and I have been through 7 different players and brands. I had more freezes with my HDDVD players, particularly with the Universal dual layer discs.

S~

Last edited:
Can't say outside of samsung brand have I had any problems with any blu-ray player. Never had problems with my HD-DVD players either, even with dual discs.

More brands the better. Now that prices are coming down and its being realized blu-ray will be here awhile (slow azz HSI the US has), its good to see more manufacturers (even though I wont buy one of theirs on spite, and I love my Panny)

Yes, I figured this would happen (me & a few million others). I recall many folks saying if HD DVD doesn't make it, Blu-ray won't, and we'll all be downloading movies. Never mind it will be many, many years before we will have the infrastructure to support a large increase in that kind of traffic.

Which brings us to a related question. At the time of the dot com boom bust, there was supposed to be some huge amount of fiber in the ground, unused. Some multiple of the fiber actually in use, IIRC. So what has happened to all of that? Is it in use today? Available? Or lost forever?

Yes, I figured this would happen (me & a few million others). I recall many folks saying if HD DVD doesn't make it, Blu-ray won't, and we'll all be downloading movies. Never mind it will be many, many years before we will have the infrastructure to support a large increase in that kind of traffic.

Which brings us to a related question. At the time of the dot com boom bust, there was supposed to be some huge amount of fiber in the ground, unused. Some multiple of the fiber actually in use, IIRC. So what has happened to all of that? Is it in use today? Available? Or lost forever?

The fiber is still there, the problem is, as it always has been the last mile. But, now it seems that cable TV providers will bump up the speed and slap on a nice bandwidth cap to go with it. They know the bandwidth is going to video now, and they do not want the competition.

Blu Ray will be around longer because the downloading will be crimpped severly. I just hope the premium pricing of BDs starts to fade.

Think how painful, even humiliating, it must have been for them. That was a battle with high emotional content, beyond "just business."

I have always liked Toshiba's products. I have 3 of their TV's right now.

Well, it didn't take Toshiba too long:

BDX2000: 1080p, Profile 2.0, MSRP $250, expected in November.

Toshiba_BDX2000_BluRayPlayer_full.jpg

Toshiba Unveils Blu-ray Player -- Blu-ray -- InformationWeek

That explains it then! I was wondering how could they possibly turn arround so quickly?! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)