Great i'm blacked out of Minnesota/Detroit on NHL Network HD tomorrrow

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
KTSC-45 and FSN-Detroit are the local tv for both teams, I live 270 miles southeast of St Paul and why is Dish blacking me out of this game?????? Anyone else in Wisconsin getting the blackout symbol? Now I have to e-mail both Dish and the NHL about this. I do not have any blackouts of any NHL team on CI.

Don't feel too bad. I live in Anchorage Alaska and I was blacked out of the West Virginia and UConn game a few weeks back. I'm only a few thousand miles away so I guess they should be concerned.

I do not have any blackouts of any NHL team on CI.

It would seem that the NHL disagrees with you on this.

NHL Headquarter

Why are there blackouts?
Blackout restrictions exist to protect the local television telecasters of each NHL game in the local markets of the teams. Blackouts are not based on arena sell-outs. Keep in mind that blackout policies and restrictions are different for every sports package that your system may carry. (Remember, if you ONLY want to watch your home team, then NHL CENTER ICE should not be purchased. NHL CENTER ICE is designed for the NHL fan who wants to see NHL games other than just those which involve their local team).

Sucks when they blackout the HD feed of anything because the Local market channel has the rights.

Do you get FSN-Detriot or KTSC-45? If you do then the blackout rules definitely apply here. NHL Network is considered a national network when it comes to blackouts - so your local station is protected for their advertising revenue. Yes it sucks, especially considering the blackout rules for National Networks (Versus, NHL Network, HD Net) are different than the Center Ice blackout rules. For Center Ice, the litmus test is if you are in the same DMA as the team and you can legally recieve the channel via cable/satellite. For national networks it is based upon the "sphere of influence." For example -- I live in San Diego; when the Ducks are on KDOC-56 (LA/OC station), I receive the games on Center Ice (both teams feeds!) as according to DISH and Direct they cannot carry that station for San Diego per the FCC. When the games are on FSW or FSN Prime Ticket the game is blackout out on Center Ice (both teams feeds) as FSW and FSNPT is available on DISH (I really feel for the cable customers here, no cable company in San Diego has FSNPT except for a small ex-adelphia area; and they blackout the CI feeds when it is on FSNPT as the cable companies choose not to carry FSNPT). The Kings are never blacked out on Center Ice. Now here is where it gets crazy. When the Ducks are on FSW/FSNPT/KDOC and Versus/NHL Network, Versus or NHL Network is blacked out, regardless of the fact that you can't get KDOC in San Diego. According to the NHL this is known as the "sphere of influence," the same thing applies for Kings games shown on FSW/FSNPT, they are blacked out on NHL Network/HD NET, etc.

I live south of Madison WI and I have not been blacked out of Wild games all year. Saturday's game on CI for the Wild/Blue Jackets is not blacked out as usual, Dish is screwing up this one!

This is why i don't watch any sports nothing but politics involved and drama about steroid scandals and dog fights. I am sorry they blacked you out but only way consumers can do any thing is stop paying for this crap service as long as you pay for sports they couldn't care less what you are allowed to see and what is blacked out. Hit them where it hurts in their wallets.:eek:

I thought this only happened to Directv subs, now I have to deal with Dish wrongly blacking me out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)