Great Install for 622 re: 129 sat.

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Bit the bullet and bought a 622 to replace my eight month old 942. Knew the drill about having to have a DISH 1000 antenna installed, but, given the buzz on these boards about the lousy signal strength for the 129 bird here on the Left Coast, I greeted the installer with the musical question: "say, what kind of signal strength are you guys getting on 129 with these 1000 installs?" He sez: "not so good, we have to come out and replace them with 500's to get anything decent." So I say: "hey, I have no problem with you turning that 148 dish to pick up the 129," which pleased him (and me). Got a 74 onscreen for that puppy, it's all good.

Nice to have an installer who will listen and interact with the customer. This was a DISH employee, not a retailer's field guy (not trying to impugn anyone):)

I bit the bullet, too - just ordered mine today. Intend to install it myself. I'm in the 129 black-out area so no issues with that one for me. My 110/119 D500 and wing 61.5 are working just fine with the 811 so I expect a smooth installation. Now if I can just convince E* to activate it without sending someone out I'll call it a great success, too...!

I called to do the 921-to-622 upgrade on Monday. I asked the CSR if the installer could do just what you said, turn the 148 dish that I have to 129. She said it would incur a $59 change fee to change the work order!

I'm still going to ask the guy to do it.

Airblair said:
I called to do the 921-to-622 upgrade on Monday. I asked the CSR if the installer could do just what you said, turn the 148 dish that I have to 129. She said it would incur a $59 change fee to change the work order!

I'm still going to ask the guy to do it.
Hope he will. It probably is a better deal all around. Assuming you have a D500 for 110/119, keep that one optimized for those 2 slots and optimize the wing for 129. You'll most likely get the best possible signal on 129 that way, the installer will save time, and E* will save the cost of the D1000. This assumes of course that you can "see" 129 from the wing dish's current location, but that's probably the case.

Report back, please...!

bhelms said:
Hope he will. It probably is a better deal all around. Assuming you have a D500 for 110/119, keep that one optimized for those 2 slots and optimize the wing for 129. You'll most likely get the best possible signal on 129 that way, the installer will save time, and E* will save the cost of the D1000. This assumes of course that you can "see" 129 from the wing dish's current location, but that's probably the case.

Report back, please...!

My install isn't until June 2.

But I also found out yesterday that my HD locals (San Francisco) will largely be on 119, not 129 (with the exception of two minor stations that I don't watch.)

And if I lose the 148, I lose the higher bitrate versions of HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. (I assume my access to CBS HD from LA will be turned off.)

So I'm rethinking the need to move the wing satellite, but I also have a month to decide.

Airblair said:
My install isn't until June 2.

But I also found out yesterday that my HD locals (San Francisco) will largely be on 119, not 129 (with the exception of two minor stations that I don't watch.)

And if I lose the 148, I lose the higher bitrate versions of HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. (I assume my access to CBS HD from LA will be turned off.)

So I'm rethinking the need to move the wing satellite, but I also have a month to decide.
Keep what you have. Then maybe you can talk the installer into a 3rd dish for 129 and a 44 switch ?? (Don't know if this is common or not...)