great install here in ohio today :)

shaun-ohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
ohio
got my voom back i am so glad, the guy did an excellant job, he knew his job well, he was a little late but at least he got the job done, still have to use the a/b switch to pull in the local channels, i get them all except local pax, and wwho, but i can get them from the adelphia need be, i am well pleased with the work that he done, he even worked in the rain to get the job done, he told me that they had 8 systems to install today in ohio, good going voom, keep up the good work, and thank god it was not prostar digital, they have switched to another company now, and he could tell that prostar digital did the first install by the way things looked, anyhow im a happy camper now, love my voom, we even have a nbc weather channel plus now from columbus, all 3 were new receivers out of the box and it took the new software upgrade right away had to leave it on channel 100 but that was no biggie, anyhow i live in newark ohio

glad to here you had a good install about time to here a good story over there in ohio
LOL

Was your installer Instant-Lations? He did my daughter,s installation last week, and did a "bang up" job. Was friendly, knowledgeable, willing to do whatever, and it was just a pleasure to have conversation with him as he worked. He is out of Akron, and does work in the Cleveland-Akron-Youngstown area. Has been doing V* installs for about a year now after Pro-Star got dumped. Wanted to give him his due last week on this forum, but could not get a thread started at the time for whatever reason. Gave him a "heads up" on this forum, so we may be hearing from him one of these days.

I had a very good install of my VOOM service. The guys spent alot of time explaining the system and hooked it all up in the snow...amazing...Had one of my (4) stb's go bad last week and called VOOM to set up service call, they said they would be out today to fix or replace. The guy did not take up any of my time and just replaced the stb...GREAT JOB....

OTA reception in Columbus is pretty good with the following exceptions.

Sinclair stations(6/28) seem to have intermittent problems with the digital feeds, but hopefully they have them corrected. Although FOX Network itself was the culprit yesterday during the race.

Channel 4 is operating at somewhat reduced signal for the next few days while they are doing upgrades from 288 watts to 902 watts so they will be smokin by the 19th or so Shawn the Engineer tells us.

For more info on the Columbus, Ohio stations see this website: http://www.hdcolumbus.org

yes i had wondered what happened to the 2 nbc feeds that i received from columbus,thanks for the info, yes fox 28 was really bad yesterday, breakups and in and out all day, i have the 3 tv install, this is a weird situation on the tv in the living room i can receive 10, 5 pbs, no fox, no whho, no local pax channel 51, and no channel 6
and of course channel 4 is still unavailable while the upgrade is in process, the bedroom tv, i can receive fox, 10, 5 pbs channels ,no 6, no channel 4 yet, no wwho and no local pax which is only 5 miles from me, in the other bedroom tv i can receive 6, 10, 5 pbs, no fox, wwho, no pax or channel 4 until the upgrade is done, tommorrow they are coming back and install a amplified multiswitch, hopefully this will help with the local channels, the first install was a guy from pickerington, he knew his job well, and the second time the guy came from prostar digital, it was a very knowledgable person also, so they must still be doing installs from columbus area, thanks for the info on the 2 nbc stations, that is very helpful now.

shaun-ohio said:
yes i had wondered what happened to the 2 nbc feeds that i received from columbus,thanks for the info, yes fox 28 was really bad yesterday, breakups and in and out all day, i have the 3 tv install, this is a weird situation on the tv in the living room i can receive 10, 5 pbs, no fox, no whho, no local pax channel 51, and no channel 6
and of course channel 4 is still unavailable while the upgrade is in process, the bedroom tv, i can receive fox, 10, 5 pbs channels ,no 6, no channel 4 yet, no wwho and no local pax which is only 5 miles from me, in the other bedroom tv i can receive 6, 10, 5 pbs, no fox, wwho, no pax or channel 4 until the upgrade is done, tommorrow they are coming back and install a amplified multiswitch, hopefully this will help with the local channels, the first install was a guy from pickerington, he knew his job well, and the second time the guy came from prostar digital, it was a very knowledgable person also, so they must still be doing installs from columbus area, thanks for the info on the 2 nbc stations, that is very helpful now.

Shaun,
The NBC 4 is transmitting but at reduced power. I can actually still receive them in Richwood but they may go on and off until the upgrade is finished.
The amplified multiswitch should help you receive those channels. 6/28 seem to be the hardest to get for me in the north west. Channel four is down from about 99% to about 80% so it is just barely locking in for me but it is working.

Hooray for a decent install here in Columbus. Wish I had the same when I was installed, but no biggie now.

I am getting all 4 networks in my location, and I am just a tick away from getting WWHO-DT. My signal bounces from 84 to 79. No signal on PBS but they don't have much in programing anyways for what I watch.

I wonder if I get up there and fool with the "bat wing" if I might be able to tune WWHO, but I am scared of losing the others.

Posted this in the Installation forum, but wanted to comment here in case someone is researching voom installs in our area. My installers were from Midwest Satellite.

3/18/05 - I had my voom installed today. Installer called about twenty minutes before showing up. I had three rooms installed. There was a problem with one of the boxes but installer exchange with another box he had in his truck. The only problem in non of my OTA channels come in. I'm only 15 miles from towers so should have no problems. In fact I have an indoor antenna that worked in the basement when I was finishing HT room. The antenna installer brought with him was a Wineguard Sensor. He mentioned that this was the only installed he had done with an unamplified antenna. I have a work order for this Wednesday to upgrade antenna. I'm impressed with the channels I've looked at so far, but it's March Madness so I'm watching HD hoops (Time Warner cable).

3/23/05 - Second installer showed up on time with the upgrade antenna, but there was no need. The first installer incorrectly installed the antenna, which is what I expected since I'm less than 15 miles from towers. I know get 19 OTA channels, Cincinnati and Dayton, on two of my boxes. The third box was not able to pull in any OTA channels. Installer thought it was a bad box, so I'll have to call Voom to get another box. Despite needed to set up a third visit by installer, I'm pretty happy with Voom

Had my install done last Monday (Mar/14), no OTA (0 OTA's) by Midwest Satellite in Harrison (outskirts of Cincinnati) OH.
Installer insisted to wait for a whole day, then call VOOM CS and get a new antenna.
Did that.
Installer scheduled to arrive today and will see fate of OTA's.
Have a Hitachi Ultravision with PIP - did a comparison between Dish and VOOM.
Using antenna for Dish (need intl.) and component for VOOM to TV.
VOOM picture slightly better - better colors on SD and not much of a difference on HD.
TV format set to 540P, so both signals are processed equally.
Changed Dish to Composite (through amp) and still as above - SD better colors, HD not much.
Any way to get the colors like a component progressive scan o/p from a DVD ?

[Update]
Installer came and said the box is bad.
Had 2 other installs / problems in Cincinnati and the same issue today
Solution is to ask Voom for a new box by mail or via installer.
2nd installer seemed more "polished".
Will check with CS and update next week.

Aporter,

Yes, paying sales tax for Dish.
Also since I only want the Int'l channels, paying an extra $5/- as access fee.
Since I got Voom, cut the rest of the channels from Dish.

3rd installer showed up. 2nd installer was a trouble shooter only.
Called 1st installer some names :) :) !
Said -
OTA antenna should have been placed on the roof.
Current OTA antenna too small.
Ask Voom for longer OTA.
Why doesn't Voom provide a longer OTA instead of all this calling up!

Installed new box.
Had to Call Voom twice to activate as first time, nothing, 2nd time nothing - no signal,
even after un-plugging. 3rd time lucky.
Get some (maybe 1/3) locals, will call Voom ask for a longer antenna and wait for
4th installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)