Great moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not see a threat of an action or a consequence in the thread. All I saw was some one asking for posters to make themselves more understood.

I understand that in the forums it's heresy to correct some one when it comes to grammar. But to many of us, some comments are unintelligible. At the same time they make the poster look like a moron. ...not necessarily because of what the person had to say, but how they said it!

I have to bite my tongue 10 time a day not to say anything about the numerous "there/their/they're" blunders because I understand what the person said (even though it took me two passes to figure out what they meant). This post asks for some sort of return to English from the gibberish posted before and seems to be more of a plea than a threat!

But the point is taken. I can probably guarantee that no one will have to wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner for grammar. :) If so, I would probably be joining them within a few posts anyway. :D

See ya
Tony

Yeah, it's rampant on the web, the horrible use of the english language. It seems that pretty much no one understands it anymore in it's written form.

I know we all make typo's when typing fast etc. I don't think anyone is asking for everyone to be perfect, but some posts I read here and other places are so bad that I give up on them. It's not my job to try to decipher what the person was asking.

I do the same thing alot on forums, asking the OP to restate the question with some punctuation and some better use of words. What worse online (I see it in the thread referenced) is they use absolutely no line breaks or CR/LF. It's just a mass of words that can get irritating to try to read. Whitespace is a good thing online. What Iceturkee could have done to come off a bit nicer sounds anyways was maybe make a slight joke about it. Heck for all we know she was jokingly saying it. Trying to gauge a tone through a post is pretty tough.

But like others said, this isn't a place that will penalize you for it, just little reminders now and then about "hey we want to help, but it's hard to when you type like this" is common and I do it and support it.

Last edited:
Once upon a time it was my job to edit a High School newspaper and I still have this section of my brain that goes into alarm when I read the "stuff" that people use on Forums. Even at work I receive the occasional e-mail that will trigger the "Grammar Alert", and these people are professional engineers and technicians.

They're over there, talking about their bad grammar...
You're hard to understand with your bad grammar...
Two posters had to admit that they did it, too...
Don't lose your head when someone corrects you about your loose grasp of "lose/loose"...
I hear that a lot here...
:)

That overzealous mod can make posts like that all they want but do you really think the people it's directed at will change their grammar ?? Grammar and spelling skills have gone to absolute sh*t nowadays.... Then again, I see piss-poor grammar and spelling in the business world !! It amazes me because we had to take 8-10 years of "english" (grammer, reading, etc) classes for school to meet state requirements. What did those people do in those classes ?????

Like TNGTony said, you simply have to bite your tongue....

Maybe this explains it, http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=92438&highlight=iceturkee . I suspected it was a "newbie". :D

I would have said the same thing. All it said was dont run your sentences together and make it one big block.

Its hard to read those posts and most of the time I would pass over those posts.

But I guess grydlok needs something to bitch about.

Ice is right, I hate crappy grammer. Check out all my posts. I edit them almost a minute after I post them. I make a lot of mistakes but I correct them.

Ice is right, I hate crappy grammer. Check out all my posts. I edit them almost a minute after I post them. I make a lot of mistakes but I correct them.
I'm waiting for you to fix the errors in this post... ;)

Who's on the "grammar police force" around here ?? It's a shame that people don't help someone just because the OP has poor grammar. :(

One of the funniest episodes of Futurama episodes I saw had Fry (how ever he spells his name) writing a story to save the Earth from aliens. When he read the story he wrote to himself, the show's voice-over read the story with all the grammatical errors spoken out loud. I was laughing for a week on that bit.

See ya
tony

I'm waiting for you to fix the errors in this post... ;)

Who's on the "grammar police force" around here ?? It's a shame that people don't help someone just because the OP has poor grammar. :(

It has nothing to do with not helping them. For me, it has to do with "what the heck are they asking" sometimes. If I can't comprehend what they are trying to say, then I can't really offer any worthwhile help. I see nothing wrong with asking people to restate the question and explaining why I would like it restated. English is an ever evolving language, but certain rules will (should) always apply

I won't apologize for coming from a family that stressed good grammar and spelling. Yes, I make mistakes, typos, heck I even use contractions and use the word "TOO", but I will never chastise people for spelling errors on the forums unless for technical reasons it's important. I have even gotten over trying to explain to people the difference between there and their and they're. What I hate most is the rambling non-breaking posts that are incredibly hard to read.

Yeah, you did ..... "run-on sentences" is poor grammar.

I don't know what "break up your copy block" means though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts