great signal - no picture

sert205

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
I recenetly installed an outdoor antenna. It is working great;however there is one channel that is not coming in. I am showing a 87% signal strenght yet the channel is blank. Why is this? Is there somethng I can do :confused:

Thanks in Advance

Is the station broadcasting anything? They may be a sending a signal but no prgramming. Call the station. This is assuming that you receive programming from other stations.

All my other channels are working great. And from talking to others yes they are broadcasting I even have a online guide that shows what they are broadcasting OTA. I did put a call into their engineering dept. waiting for a return call.

Well I could never getthe station to call me back so I called again today. They are broadcasting programms OTA HD. I am still showing a signal strength of 85-87%. I went and rotated my antenna and still no picture. All my other channles are working great. Whats funny is the channel I can't get is the closest to my house at 14 miles.

Any suggestions :confused:

What tuner and TV are you using? IS the box set to native and you are geting a 720p signal and your Tv only accepts/displays 1080i?

3 possibilities. Multipath is likely. The signal could be interfering with itself, by a bounce off of some large object some distance away from both you and the station., thus arriving at your house a few microseconds later than the main signal. That can confuse the 8-VSB decoder in spite of circuitry to correct for it.

Another possibility is that some receivers have software that checks some of the tables in a stream of auxiliary data sent by the station, called PSIP. If the station doesn't have that data setup correctly, those receivers will choke.

The PSIP problem could be detected by borrowing a receiver from a friend that does get the station. If that receiver works at your house, then contact the station and rattle their cage.

The multipath problem is tough. A more directional antenna may well help. the 4 or 8 element bow-tie antennas work very well in most locations, but in your case a combination corner reflector and yagi UHF only antenna may help.

One other possibility: If your antenna has a pre-amp, your closeness to the station may be giving you such a strong signal, that when amplified, it is overloading the first stages of your receiver. Try bypassing the amp. Some receivers are more susectible to this than others.

Tony N.

I am using an 811 with a sony LDP. When I go to that channel I get an error message that states " digital signal lost. Press up or down or adjust antenna". Also I have no preamp and I am using 120" boom, 37 element antenna from radioshack.

I have the tv set at 1080. Do I understand correctly if I change to 780 I may be able to get the picture? You know I don't even watch the damn channel but my wife sees the need to watch Reba in HD :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)