Great Sports Moments on Father's Day

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Can you recall some great sporting moments that coincided on Father's Day?

Here's mine:

1996: The 72-10 Bulls clinched the title on Father's Day in 1996- I'll always remember the image of Jordan crying on the locker room floor
(It was the first title after his dad died three years ago)

P.S. Since nobody seemed to care about my previous signature, I changed it to one that seems to describe me to a T.

Am I right?

Can you recall some great sporting moments that coincided on Father's Day?

Here's mine:

1996: The 72-10 Bulls clinched the title on Father's Day in 1996- I'll always remember the image of Jordan crying on the locker room floor
(It was the first title after his dad died three years ago)

That was mine too, it was an unbelievably powerful moment that transcended sports.

A few of the Celtics players have become first time fathers during the year (Paul Pierce and Kendrick Perkins just off the top of my head), and Doc Rivers lost his father a few months back (whom he was very close to). Paul Pierce was heard, "let's win this thing on Father's Day", so you know it's on their minds. While it would be a very poignant moment if the Celtics did win it tonight, I still believe this series comes back to Boston.

:) To all you Dads: Happy Father's Day!!! :)

Today, Turkey scores three goals in the final 15 minutes to beat the Czechs and advance in Euro 2008.

Notice I mentioned in post 7 "Points Race" He does have wins in other races they just weren't for points in that time. Bud Shootout, All Star race last year I think it was.
The main thing is that he has ran consistantly well most of the year.

Jimbo

The MJ led Bulls winning the Championship in '96 has got to be the best sporting moments that happened on Father's Day without question.

However, I always get emotional when Tiger wins on Sunday. It is well documented that he grew up with his father on the golf course and now that he has passed away, you can always tell that his father is still on his mind. Each year, the US Open concludes on Fathers Day. Yesterday's performance and birdie on the 18th by Tiger to force an 18 hole playoff was one of the best Tiger/Father's Day memories since his Dad has passed.

The most emotional Tiger/Golf event I've witnessed though, while not on Father's Day, had to be when Tiger won the '06 British Open just 2 months after his Dad passed. I will never forget when Tiger sank the final put on the 18th hole to clinch the win and tears flowed as he was overwhelmed with emotion. He gave a very tearful speech afterwards dedicating the victory to his Pop's.