Green power lights, not responsing to remote

Mike045

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Quebec
I installed this morning the latest software GSPHD_0.11_08292012.zip and all went well. After I saved my userdb.udf and edited it with MediaBox editor and renamed the new file userdbA.udf. I uploaded it on the STB and checked that the changes I have made were there. Afterwards, I made new changes on my PC to the userdbA.udf file and updated it on the STB, so I made the update with the same name file, if that matters (I think not.). At one time I put the STB on standby mode then reactivate it because it seemed to me because I had only the Satellite which was accessible in the menu and nothing else (if I remember correctly). I unplugged the power supply and now I have no longer a video signal at all; all I get is power led stays green and I cannot put the STB in standby mode at all with the remote. No menu, nothing; I do not see again the logo when starting.
Help!! please. I wanted to watch the Ring on PBS tonight, I am not sure that I will be able to do it.
I disconnected the lnb, the hdmi connector, always the same situation:green light only, not even red when connecting the power supply.

Mike

What's unusual? The op played with his .udf file in the pc editor, and it sounds like his MicroHD is now bricked more or less. I hate to say it this way, but it sounds real familiar to me... We certainly have enough of them now to sense a pattern. Hopefully Brian can figure it out when he gets tekjunkie02's receiver back in the shop. Isn't yours (northgeorgia) the only report we have so far of an actual user fixing his bricked receiver using the TTL cable? All this certainly doesn't make me keen on ever using the pc editor to modify my .udf file.

Mike045: Have you tried plugging in the composite cable, and hooking the receiver up old-school 480i to see if you have an output? Maybe you are lucky, and it's only changed resolution to one your tv can't sense.

I played, as you say, with my udf file with an editor which is recommended here. It is rather strange that user data bug the system software, unless the editor is at fault.

Mike

plug in your composite video cable and see if you can see the microhd's osd. It might be that your set through HDMI is not supporting 480i (like mine) so you'll have to use the composite video backup option to see the on-screen display to change the video resolution to 1080i or 720p.

I've used the editor several times and so far no problem.

I just mean unusual in that it's not looping with the power on and off cycle with green, then red, then green LEDs as was the case with most of us that got bricked. Babadem also had this problem but was able to fix his receiver with the TTL cable. For some reason, tekjunkie02 wasn't able to. But I do agree, if it's not just the video output, it sounds like the .udf in conjunction with the 8/29 firmware did something to the receiver in Mike's case, too.

What's unusual? The op played with his .udf file in the pc editor, and it sounds like his MicroHD is now bricked more or less. I hate to say it this way, but it sounds real familiar to me... We certainly have enough of them now to sense a pattern. Hopefully Brian can figure it out when he gets tekjunkie02's receiver back in the shop. Isn't yours (northgeorgia) the only report we have so far of an actual user fixing his bricked receiver using the TTL cable? All this certainly doesn't make me keen on ever using the pc editor to modify my .udf file.

Mike045: Have you tried plugging in the composite cable, and hooking the receiver up old-school 480i to see if you have an output? Maybe you are lucky, and it's only changed resolution to one your tv can't sense.

If the unit only displays a solid green LED after connecting to power source without showing a one second Red LED within eight seconds after powering, the receiver is not booting. It is unlikely that TTL serial communication is possible if the unit is not booting. A solid Green LED is quite different that tekjunkie02's report of rebooting and probably is not related.

A user sent an .udf file that caused his microHD to power cycle. In viewing the .udf file in an channel editor, it was obvious that the data was corrupt. In speaking with the user we found that the list had been probably corrupted by a channel editor and found empty character positions and non ASCI characters. The list had been import/exported up/down loaded several times. It should be noted that the op had noted some data errors while viewing previous versions of the list.

We use both ALI Editor and MediaBox Editor Studio several dozen times each week here at the shop and have yet to have any issues. Wish that we could recreate this issue...

I also used both the ALI Editor and the Mediabox editor a few times since resurrection, and so far, I haven't had any problems return. (Knock on wood)

It is true as you say, since so many have used the editor software and haven't had a problem of this sort. But it's not a good thing for even a single person to have this happen after using the editor. I wonder if the editor software can be modified somehow, to do some sort of emulator TEST of the modified saved .udf file, to check it for errors? Just throwing out thoughts, but as I don't know...

If the unit only displays a solid green LED after connecting to power source without showing a one second Red LED within eight seconds after powering, the receiver is not booting. It is unlikely that TTL serial communication is possible if the unit is not booting. A solid Green LED is quite different that tekjunkie02's report of rebooting and probably is not related.

...It should be noted that the op had noted some data errors while viewing previous versions of the list.

Yes I know it is not booting. I do not remember having said that I have noted some data errors; must be somebody else.

In the meantime, what I do with the unit ?
I did many times updates for the system files, all with USB stick. I did once update for the userdb.udf edited with Media; the second time that I did it (always userdb.udf) this trouble appeared.

Mike

plug in your composite video cable and see if you can see the microhd's osd. It might be that your set through HDMI is not supporting 480i (like mine) so you'll have to use the composite video backup option to see the on-screen display to change the video resolution to 1080i or 720p.

When I installed the latest software, on booting my STB was in 480i by default and the menu was visible. I changed it to 1080p without problem.

Mike

When I installed the latest software, on booting my STB was in 480i by default and the menu was visible. I changed it to 1080p without problem.

Mike

Yes, but that's through the HDMI cable, and when the receiver was still working for sure. We are wondering now if you'll get any output to your TV set using the separate composite cable that plugs in using a mini-jack, and connected to your tv sets composite inputs? The composite output is hard-wired to 480i

Yes I know it is not booting. I do not remember having said that I have noted some data errors; must be somebody else.

In the meantime, what I do with the unit ?
I did many times updates for the system files, all with USB stick. I did once update for the userdb.udf edited with Media; the second time that I did it (always userdb.udf) this trouble appeared.

Mike

Mike,

Sorry, I was commenting on other members posted suggestions and was referring to the user (op) who sent the corrupted .udf for us to examine.

If you purchased the microHD directly from Satellite AV, please contact our support team for a RMA for repair or exchange. If purchased through a reseller, please contact the reseller to process the RMA and exchange.

I would appreciate a copy of the .udf file that disabled the receiver. Please PM me your email address. Was this .udf file based on the current default Satellite / Transponder list (.udf), a previous microHD default .udf, an .udf from another brand or one that you composed from scratch and not saved to USB from the microHD or any other receiver?

Last edited:

Make that two. I got mine working too.

Last edited:
I played, as you say, with my udf file with an editor which is recommended here. It is rather strange that user data bug the system software, unless the editor is at fault.

Mike
The Editor seems to be the only constant regarding this issue. I tend to agree.

To those with problems: do you remember using the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" feature on windows or did you just pull the thumb drive out of your computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)