Green screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gcotterl

Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
so cal
I have a DishNetwork VIP-622 satellite receiver connected, via an HDMI cable, to my HDTV. I also have a DVD player connected, via a component (RYG) cable with separate audio-cables, to my HDTV.

Originally, the HDTV displayed both the satellite and the DVD images perfectly.

After I "neatened-up" the cables, the HDTV still displays the DVD image perfectly. But, for the satellite, the screen is a "Kermit-the-Frog" green. What is causing this?

Check a component connection

I have a DishNetwork VIP-622 satellite receiver connected, via an HDMI cable, to my HDTV. I also have a DVD player connected, via a component (RYG) cable with separate audio-cables, to my HDTV.

Originally, the HDTV displayed both the satellite and the DVD images perfectly.

After I "neatened-up" the cables, the HDTV still displays the DVD image perfectly. But, for the satellite, the screen is a "Kermit-the-Frog" green. What is causing this?

Hook up the 622 via component connection and if it comes back up then you have a broken HDMI connector. If that is true then I hope you have the ext HDD hooked up to transfer shows over to it. It time to trade out the unit for another. Huge amonts of 622's had thins problem, I had one and got it traded out.

Hi Hyperguy,

If only the green component cable is plugged in, would this result in an entirely green screen or a green-tinted image?

Gary

Component is Red, Blue,Green. Composite is Red, White, Yellow. Make sure that you have the correct cable plugged into the correct places on both the Receiver and the TV.... For HD you should be Red,Blue, green.

Some of you (whatchel1 being the exception) are ignoring he's got the satellite connected via HDMI and getting the green screen. Troubleshooting steps:

1) Plug the HDMI into a different input on the TV (and select that input). Does that fix it?
2) Try a different HDMI cable
3) Use component (red, green, blue + red/white audio) cables between the sat box & the TV.

The problem (as you described it) is either at the TV's input, the cable itself, or the output of the sat box. Also make sure the connectors are solid and that the sat box & DVD are going into different inputs on the TV.

Sometimes when I switch sources on my TV, the DVR comes back as green. Two solutions; cycle the power on the TV (probably won't help you). or unplug and reinsert the HDMI cable (I use the same port, I only have two ports ;)).

I love to know what channel.

FOX, either watching it live or from recording it, has been giving me audio stuttering problems for 2 months now and either a green or yellow screen pops in and out for 5-15 seconds . . . I have complained, but alas, no help yet

Originally, the HDMI cable ran from the HDMI outlet on the sat. to HDMI 1 on the TV and the all-green screen was displayed.
I then re-connected the HDMI cable to HDMI 2 on the TV and the all-green screen was displayed.

The component cable runs from the component-cable outputs on the DVD to the component-cable inputs on the TV. (These are NOT the TV's HDMI 1 or the HDMI 2 inputs). The DVD movies display perfectly on the TV.

So have you tried just hooking up your 622 with the component cables to see if that works for you like many others have mentioned. Like an earlier poster stated, my guess would be your HDMI cable, or the input on your tv, or the output on the receiver. I know he mentioned the 622's had a known problem with this...I had a 211 with this problem...they also had a lot of problems with their HDMI output being bad. Try the component cables...that will definitely help narrow it down.

I vaguely remember when my HDMI was failing on my 622 that I 'd occasionally get an all green screen.

Pull the HDMI cable upward and toward the center of the receiver (to the right from in front of the unit) and see if that restores the picture.

Swap the component cables from the DVD to the DVR. Same result? Bad DVR. Picture's fine? Bad HDMI port (have to replace the DVR) or bad HDMI cable. If you don't have another HDMI cable, Monoprice.com has good stuff for cheap.

Yup. You've eliminated the TVs input as the culprit. It could still be the cable or the DVR. Putting the component cables on the DVR doesn't really eliminate the DVR, the problem could still be either the HDMI output of the DVR or the HDMI cable.

Next step is to use a different HDMI cable. Alternatively, you can use your existing HDMI cable, but connect it to your DVD player (assuming the player has an HDMI out).