Greenville/Asheville LIL's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bfarmer312

Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Just wrote a nasty letter to Directv customer service and this is the response I got back, hopefully they aren't blowing smoke up my ass...

Thanks for asking about HD local programming. DIRECTV has a tentative schedule to launch local HD programming in Greenville-Spartanburg SC-Asheville NC market area by late January or early February of 2007. As you might imagine, high-definition channels are some of the most expensive ones for us to carry, both in terms of what we pay the networks to distribute their programming and the technology we use to deliver them.

I know that HD programming is important to you and DIRECTV is committed to offering the best possible HD experience to you. In recent months, we have launched the first two of four satellites that will allow us to greatly expand our HD local channel offerings.

The two new satellites have allowed us to begin offering HD local channels in several cities, with many more to come later this year. Because our satellite capacity is still limited, we intend to focus on getting HD feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC up in as many cities as possible. Next year, when the other two satellites become available, we will be able to begin providing even more channels (including CW, where available) in existing HD local markets, as well as adding new HD markets and more national HD programming.

As soon as we launch local channels in HD in your area, we can upgrade your DIRECTV system with the right equipment to receive the new HD local channels. To learn more please call us at 800-531-5000, a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

Thanks again for writing and I hope this helps answer your question. Please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com/HDTV for the latest news and announcements as they become available.

Sincerely,

Rebecca T
Employee ID 100128908
DIRECTV Customer Service

I'm 60 miles west of Asheville. It seems that everyone from Florida and Atlanta are moving to the mountains, can't blame them.:) The only way that a lot us can receive HD is by satellite, these mountains get in the way of signals from the towers. The people in and around Asheville and Greenville can receive them OTA, but as you know you have to have that line of sight from the main towers, HD is not broadcast on the repeater towers that are scattered around the the DMA.
Its good to hear from another person with ties to this area. Its getting colder up here everytime I look outside (down 15 degrees in two hours in the Smokies)), Florida sounds nice with these dropping temps.
</IMG>
</IMG>

Last edited:
LOL!!! Lets talk in July and August!!! When I lived there you couldn't even get regular TV OTA because of the weirdness of the towers. Oh, it will be in the thirties here in Tallahassee tonight and tomorrow!!!

I am in Asheville and it is a total pain in the ass to get locals. I don't really care if the picture is better OTA, anything is better than SD on satellite! It's funny you talk about Floridians moving up here because I happen to be one myself. I didn't move up here to retire like everyone else, and I'm not a half-back! Born and raised in Florida and moved up here for the love of the mountains, and luckily the company I am with had a job opening. I don't miss the Florida heat or people one bit. Although I do find it a little crappy that the people I tried to get away from are the people that are moving here. Oh well. GIVE ME HD DIRECTV!

LOL!!! I totally understand your pain. I would love to move back to Asheville but it's full of artsy hippies now and not a lot of "real" jobs. Staying on topic though, you just about have to have your own tower to get locals there.

I too live in the Greenville/Spartanburg area and have contacted DTV about HD
locals and was told early January...then sometime in January and now I read where it could be early February. I finally put up an antenna and get all the networks in Hd. I got tired of DTV saying ten different things so now I rally don't
care when they give us the HD locals......I'm enjoying them ota.:D

I too live in the Greenville/Spartanburg area and have contacted DTV about HD
locals and was told early January...then sometime in January and now I read where it could be early February. I finally put up an antenna and get all the networks in Hd. I got tired of DTV saying ten different things so now I rally don't
care when they give us the HD locals......I'm enjoying them ota.:D

Was told the exact same things until the last 2 weeks when I was told by a local D* rep that the reality was until the new sats came up....New Orleans and many other cities wont get their locals in HD

Was told the exact same things until the last 2 weeks when I was told by a local D* rep that the reality was until the new sats came up....New Orleans and many other cities wont get their locals in HD

That doesn't make any sense to this discussion. Raleigh already has HD locals, except the CBS and FOX affiliates are withholding the HD product. The question is why can't somebody in the Raleigh DMA can't get Greensville locals in HD as a secondary market?

I live in Asheville (Well Fletcher). I can get FOX and WLOS perfectly fine OTA with an indoor UHF antenna. I currently have Dish, hopefully they will get it added soon too!

WLOS is key, as that is the only local charter doesn't offer in HD (along with the WB). I am a few miles up the road from fletcher and I get both the Greenville Fox and the Tri-Cities Fox (which comes in better), and pbs in hd with the indoor antenna but after they promised December (and now apparently jan/feb), I am not holding my breath and wouldn't expect to see them until August (not to say I wouldn't mind them being up in time for the superbowl or march madness.)

WLOS is key, as that is the only local charter doesn't offer in HD (along with the WB). I am a few miles up the road from fletcher and I get both the Greenville Fox and the Tri-Cities Fox (which comes in better), and pbs in hd with the indoor antenna but after they promised December (and now apparently jan/feb), I am not holding my breath and wouldn't expect to see them until August (not to say I wouldn't mind them being up in time for the superbowl or march madness.)

Is the Tri-Cities Fox UHF? I havent tried to pull that one. You know the degrees approx?

Is the Tri-Cities Fox UHF? I havent tried to pull that one. You know the degrees approx?

It comes in at 39-1/39-2 on my directv h-20 box. For the secondary market, i put in a zipcode up in that area and let it scan through and it happened to get that one. My silver sensor is pointing towards the northeast, and it definitely comes in with a stronger signal than the GSP fox @ 21-1.

Okay, thanks. I cant get it with my omnidirectional terrestrial digital antenna. weird because this thing is awesome. I point it south southeast and I pick up WLOS and FOX 21 in the mid to high 80's. I can barely pick up NBC out of Greenville if I move my antenna but I cant get it strong enough to keep it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.