Greetings..

frhrwa

Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Pacific NW NorthEast WA
I just joined up, retired from Data Telecommunications.. Telephone and Data Network. Did Central Office, Special Apps, Sales, Installation/Service, Network engineering, CAMA ID, VOIP, MUX... Now trying to set up my Dish service.. ha.. House was hit by lightning about a day after I finished building it, almost have it rebuilt now.. It took out ALL electronics in the house and outside.. burned up the TV, Computer, Telephones, Security system, everything attached to all low voltage wiring, which included my outsid DISH.. so, now I have a Dish 500 + dish and a Dish 1000 Network dish.. the 1000 has what looks to be a 3LNB on it.. wondering the difference in the two, what is required to use the better of the two, and which is the better? Thanks.. looking forward to a great forum.. Wayne

First off.
:welcome

The Dish 500 probably has a twin on it. This means it can receive signal from the 110 & 119 sats.

The other LNB you have is a 1000.2. It is capable of receiving 110, 119, & 129. 129 is the HD satellite. This LNB can send signal to three receivers and you can use any combination of single and dual tuner receivers.

The 1000.2 is the better of the two and will pick up all the national SD and HD programming for Dish Network's Top Packages and many of the local channels.

There are a few areas in the eastern half of the US that need to point at different sats to receive local programming.

Elory he said 500 plus dish not 500 dish. A 500 plus dish is for international programing

I could be wrong. However, it was written he has a 500 + (could mean and) dish and I may have misinterpretted that as a 500 lnb (incorrect name but many people use that term for a twin or quad) + dish. This is also why I said the 500 probably has a twin on it. I have no way of knowing for sure. But, I am certain that his other lnb is a 1000.2. I may have also wrongly assumed that he meant a 500 dish since the OP refered to the dish as a 1000 instead of refering to the lnb (1000.2). The plus dishes only have plus imprinted on them. The 500 dishes are easy to identify because they have 500 imprinted on them.

Tech is right. The 500+ and 1000+ are both designed to receive signal from 118.7. This is where the majority of international programming is broadcast. If the dish is a 500+ or 1000+ it would also need a switch in order to work. If you have a 500+ lnb it will have two ports on the bottom labelled as 1F and 2D. If this is the case I apologize for any incorrect info I may have given.

Tech, please don't take this as an attack. I come to SatelliteGuys because I want to share information. Sometimes I learn things and sometimes I try to help others. I believe that this is why most of us are here. I understand that you may not have meant anything by your remark but this is the second post of mine that you have questioned and I felt I needed to explain.

Everyone else, I apologize for the rant.

The 1000 could be the original non-1000.2. It has no extra port and the size is really too small. I have one, I know, I grieve. It does the 110/119/129 but not quite as strongly.
-Ken

the 500 dish is a smaller round dish, with a dual LNB.. the 1000 is elypical much larger dish.. with a dual and a single LNB.. if that helps? thanks.. and if there is a place on this that I can get a number or something to identify either one correctly, let me know what to look for.. and I'll get it.. thanks again..