Greg Maddux to retire- Your thoughts?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You are knowledgeable of the "Live Ball era" aren't you? For several reasons, post 1920, the hitters had more of an advantage, not the pitchers.

To me, this is what makes what Maddux has done during his career even all the more impressive.

He was a VERY GOOD pitcher(he was not great....Great is Seaver, Gibson, Drysdale and to a certain extent Clemens) that took advantage of a VERY LIBERAL strike zone in the 90s

See above!;)

Then the umpires gave the advantage right back to the hitters by making the strike zone as big and wide as J.LO's a$$!

If everyone knows the strike zone, then everyone is playing by the same rules.

If your a hitter, swing the bat instead of getting fanned. Plane and simple. Can't blame Maddux on a more liberal strike zone.

The criticism of Maddux here is not that he benefitted along with others by a wide strike zone, but rather, that when some pitchers attain "star" status, they are given a wider strike zone than are other pitchers. Similarly, star players in the NBA are allowed to travel more and to grab more.

The criticism of Maddux here is not that he benefitted along with others by a wide strike zone, but rather, that when some pitchers attain "star" status, they are given a wider strike zone than are other pitchers. Similarly, star players in the NBA are allowed to travel more and to grab more.

Excellent point.:up He ALWAYS got the benefit of the doubt because he was known to have a "mastery of the strike zone"....yeah right. He was also known to be a quick pitcher which helped speed games up. Umps love that crap!

If everyone knows the strike zone, then everyone is playing by the same rules.

If your a hitter, swing the bat instead of getting fanned. Plane and simple. Can't blame Maddux on a more liberal strike zone.

OH PLEASE!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: EVERYONE KNOWS full well that every umpre has THEIR OWN STRIKE ZONE....!

No you cannot blame him but it sure as hell helped him....ALOT!

Even though I couldn't stand him when he was with the Braves and I'm a Mets fan, you can't deny his body of work. 355 wins and played for 23 yrs. That's simply amazing for that body of work. I mean he just pitched so long and was so durable.

Even though I couldn't stand him when he was with the Braves and I'm a Mets fan, you can't deny his body of work. 355 wins and played for 23 yrs. That's simply amazing for that body of work. I mean he just pitched so long and was so durable.

And there was something almost autistic about him...and I mean that in a very complimentary way. He knew every batter he ever faced and what they did against him almost instinctively. Alot of guys keep a notebook and enter into the computer for reference. Gregg could rattle off amazing stats by memory re: what to throw to any given batter.

Truly amazing.

There is NO DOUBT his body of work DESERVES to be in the HOF. I will go on record to say I doubt we will see in OUR LIFETIME, someone win 350+ wins and pitch for 23 years. I really did not like this guy, but he was truly an amazing athlete.

There is NO DOUBT his body of work DESERVES to be in the HOF. I will go on record to say I doubt we will see in OUR LIFETIME, someone win 350+ wins and pitch for 23 years. I really did not like this guy, but he was truly an amazing athlete.

Oh, today he's an "amazing athlete"? Just yesterday you tied all his success to the umpires giving him a liberal strikezone! :rolleyes:

Oh, today he's an "amazing athlete"? Just yesterday you tied all his success to the umpires giving him a liberal strikezone! :rolleyes:

LMAO!!! You amuse me with your knee jerk reactions....Please find where I "tied
ALL his success to the umpire".....:rolleyes::confused:

I said that he took HUGE advantage of the very liberal strike zone in his career.
I am willing to bet that he would be THE VERY 1st one to tell you that he took advantage of that big ass strike zone they use to give him....and ANY PITCHER with half a pea brain woulda, shoulda and coulda done the same thing.

You don't NEED to be a good athlete to be a good baseball player....Babe Ruth was a huge, heavy drinking, smoking fat tube of goo....and recent players like John Kruk, Bartolo Colon, David Wells and to a certain extent, C.C. Sabathia and Prince Fielder. BUT you sure as sh** need to be a good ahtlete to pitch 25 some odd years in professional baseball(including the minors).

So IF you plan of trying to catch me on something I said, please make sure you quote me exactly......please. People try TOO MUCH to "catch me" on something I SUPPOSEDLY said, but for some reason 99% of the time, they can never find the EXACT quote....go figure...:rolleyes:;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)