Ground Loop Via COAX

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JohnGalt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2023
OC
I had problems with noise via AV receiver to do Coax on both Direct TV and DISH. The problem is 100 percent the coax cable in the Joey 4k Box. Any suggestions ?

I had problems with noise via AV receiver to do Coax on both Direct TV and DISH. The problem is 100 percent the coax cable in the Joey 4k Box. Any suggestions ?
Was that noise there when it was installed?? Why didn't the tech replace the cable/connectors?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Was that noise there when it was installed?? Why didn't the tech replace the cable/connectors?

I don't think its the cable connectors. I think its a grounding problem with the coax install. Dish guy did try to sell me a a power strip and a pair of hdmi cables. LOL

Curious why that's funny

HDMI cables are all the same unless we are talking about long runs or using eARC, outside of that I can take a 15 year old HDMI cable and get the exact same results with a 100 dollar optical cable.

A Power Strip will not remove a ground loop noise hum coming from the Coax via the dish. Its a ground problem it is the dish or a splitter or something else.

I have my system plugged into a Furman power conditioner. If I unplug the coax from Joey 4 the noise goes away. I did have the same problem with Direct TV so its not on the installer for Dish but the Dish guy had 0 Answers.

HDMI cables are all the same unless we are talking about long runs or using eARC, outside of that I can take a 15 year old HDMI cable and get the exact same results with a 100 dollar optical cable.

A Power Strip will not remove a ground loop noise hum coming from the Coax via the dish. Its a ground problem it is the dish or a splitter or something else.

I have my system plugged into a Furman power conditioner. If I unplug the coax from Joey 4 the noise goes away. I did have the same problem with Direct TV so its not on the installer for Dish but the Dish guy had 0 Answers.
All HDMI Cables are not the same. The ones he wanted to sell you may or may not have a similar picture but the construct is completely different

The problem is probably caused by the Dish ground not being bonded to the house ground. I had this problem at my current house in 1996 when I first installed my Dish. Fortunately, I was able to trench in a copper ground line from my Dish grounding rod to the Service ground. Hum no more!

Since this is the Joey 4K with the problem, the loop may be coming through your HDMI cable to your TV or AVR. The Furman Power Conditioner should be grounded to your service panel through your house wiring. Your Dish should go through a ground block before entering your residence. If that is grounded to something other than a bonded ground back to the service box, that difference in ground potential will introduce 60 Hz hum or other annoying noise.

The problem is probably caused by the Dish ground not being bonded to the house ground. I had this problem at my current house in 1996 when I first installed my Dish. Fortunately, I was able to trench in a copper ground line from my Dish grounding rod to the Service ground. Hum no more!

Since this is the Joey 4K with the problem, the loop may be coming through your HDMI cable to your TV or AVR. The Furman Power Conditioner should be grounded to your service panel through your house wiring. Your Dish should go through a ground block before entering your residence. If that is grounded to something other than a bonded ground back to the service box, that difference in ground potential will introduce 60 Hz hum or other annoying noise.
The direct TV system was grounded to a stake in the ground it didn't solve the problem. The Dish guy stated that they do not ground the dish for lightening strikes. Either way its not the problem. Something nasty is coming through the coax but I Am not sure where its coming. I am starting to think maybe its coming from a splitter in the attic. I think Direct TV had a powered booster maybe that is causing the problem.

The Dish guy stated that they do not ground the dish for lightening strikes.
That doesn’t sound right to me, an actual technician will have to confirm though. All of the satellite dishes I’ve mounted have had a grounding point on the foot of the dish, and as far as I know Dish uses coax cables with messenger wires for this exact purpose.

The direct TV system was grounded to a stake in the ground it didn't solve the problem.
What I said was this separate ground path is the source of your ground loop. You need a low impedance bond between the Service Ground and your dish’s ground rod. I ran #8 copper cable between my Service Ground rod and the ground rod where my Dish antenna cable entered the house and this made my 60 Hz hum disappear.
I think Direct TV had a powered booster maybe that is causing the problem.
I agree, that could be another source of electrical interference.

The direct TV system was grounded to a stake in the ground it didn't solve the problem. The Dish guy stated that they do not ground the dish for lightening strikes. Either way its not the problem. Something nasty is coming through the coax but I Am not sure where its coming. I am starting to think maybe its coming from a splitter in the attic. I think Direct TV had a powered booster maybe that is causing the problem.
If any DTV hardware is in the system, that's a problem

That doesn’t sound right to me, an actual technician will have to confirm though. All of the satellite dishes I’ve mounted have had a grounding point on the foot of the dish, and as far as I know Dish uses coax cables with messenger wires for this exact purpose.
HA! Good luck. No one grounds anymore and new techs can't be bothered to carry an extra box of cable with the messenger. They use regular single way too often

I installed my first dish with DISH back in 97 and it was grounded. DISH has installed every subsequent dish and I'm not sure how many that is now, but none of their installs were grounded. Couldn't OP just disconnect the ground and see if that solves it? At least then he would know.

I installed my first dish with DISH back in 97 and it was grounded. DISH has installed every subsequent dish and I'm not sure how many that is now, but none of their installs were grounded. Couldn't OP just disconnect the ground and see if that solves it? At least then he would know.

Here is whats really strange that noise only seems to appear in the evening time. During the day the noise is still present but I can live with it. When 4 pm comes the noise sounds like a large hum especially from my sub. The dish guy came out and grounded the Dish but it did not nothing. Also during that time I was not running any large appliances etc so I don't think its related to the power.

It would make sense that the sub would transmit the hum louder. (60hz)
Can you run a temporary cable from the Hopper to the Joey? Just to double check the coax.
The other possible solution, albeit not a great one, is lifting the ground on the receiver. I had a Carver receiver years ago that just wasn't happy with any components plugged into it. Once I lifted the ground everything was hunky dory. (Although I was always nervous during thunderstorms.)

Reactions: navychop
It would make sense that the sub would transmit the hum louder. (60hz)
Can you run a temporary cable from the Hopper to the Joey? Just to double check the coax.
The other possible solution, albeit not a great one, is lifting the ground on the receiver. I had a Carver receiver years ago that just wasn't happy with any components plugged into it. Once I lifted the ground everything was hunky dory. (Although I was always nervous during thunderstorms.)
What is lifting the ground?

What is lifting the ground?
Using an adapter to remove the ground pin on the power plug. Like this:

I've also seen people use pliers and break off the ground pin on a cord. Not suggested.

I had a brand new heavy duty extension cord. My FiL (RIP) was a handyman, always had tools on him. He whipped out nippers and cut the grounding plug before I could stop him. I was losing it, had to walk away. I replaced the end, but not waterproofed. Sigh.