Ground needed with pole install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mloiterman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Stupid question:

Is a ground wire still needed with a dish mounted to a pole installed into the ground?

Yes. Rarely if ever is the mounting pole a ground rod specification or adequate to do the job properly. Next to the pole, drive a specification ground rod 6 to 10 ft. into the ground and attach a solid ground wire conductor to the pole with a standard clamp. Soil conditions dictate and local codes dictate the length. Dry desert conditions require deeper and swamp less length. If you take a direct hit your electronics is probably hosed regardless of ground quality. The idea here is to bleed off static electricity continuously to prevent buildup during times when the conditions are right for a direct hit. Keeping the static charge low on the pole will reduce the odds of a direct hit. You do this by improving the quality of the pole to static ground path.

Stupid question:

Is a ground wire still needed with a dish mounted to a pole installed into the ground?

Yes, but how depends on your local codes. In my town, it must be grounded to the water service, within 5' of the entrance. A ground rod is not sufficient.

Looks like he didn't ground the dish outside. But the previous installer installed a ground block inside where the dish cables enter the house.

That grounding block is connected, with a wire, to what looks like another grounding block that is wrapped around some electrical conduit.

That conduit runs underneath, and touches, some water pipes. The only thing that is puzzling is that there is electrical tape in-between the electrical conduit and the water pipe.

What do you guys make of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have never grounded the dish itself. I have all my coax grounded to the house ground however.

I personally have never grounded the dish itself. I have all my coax grounded to the house ground however.

Fair enough, but is that was has been done in my case? I can't tell?

I can't tell what has been done here. It sure doesn't look legit to me.

So what should be done to correct this?

That depends on the local codes. Here in CT there must be a 10 gauge wire connecting the dish to the cold water feed within 5 feet of where it enters the house. Check with your local town hall to find your local codes.

All satellite systems need to be grounded.

Proper ground are:

The case of the meter socket
The mast of the SE Cables (as long as it is Metal)
The Line side of the service enterance Race way (As long as it is metal)
The case of the panel
The water pipe within 5 feet of the entrance of the water main
Any part of the main ground wire incuding the ground rod.
If you drive a new ground rod then it must be bonded with a minimum of #4 to the main grounding system. Useless except for extreme runs pole mounts. If you install a seperate ground rod, and do not bond it you are asking for trouble, there will be a difference in ground potential.
Metal Building structure (comercial buildings)

You can't ground to conduit, unless it is a service raceway

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)