Grounding DPP44

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
2lm7vpg.jpg

I currently have a 2 HWS + 2 Joey setup using a Duo node. I am wanting to add a DPP44 switch so I can also hook up my 211z (from my tailgater) at home. I noticed in the image above it shows the DPP44 being grounded.

Must the DPP44 be grounded to work? I was going to install it in the wiring panel inside my house at the same location as the Duo node.

A little extra info if this is relevant:
My Dish antennae is not grounded. When the antennae was installed years ago it was placed high up on my roof because that was the only spot that could get a clear signal due to trees but it was too far away to ground. The trees are gone now and I plan to move the antennae and properly ground it when I upgrade to Hopper 3 in the next year.

2lm7vpg.jpg

I currently have a 2 HWS + 2 Joey setup using a Duo node. I am wanting to add a DPP44 switch so I can also hook up my 211z (from my tailgater) at home. I noticed in the image above it shows the DPP44 being grounded.

Must the DPP44 be grounded to work? I was going to install it in the wiring panel inside my house at the same location as the Duo node.

A little extra info if this is relevant:
My Dish antennae is not grounded. When the antennae was installed years ago it was placed high up on my roof because that was the only spot that could get a clear signal due to trees but it was too far away to ground. The trees are gone now and I plan to move the antennae and properly ground it when I upgrade to Hopper 3 in the next year.
To be honest, grounding may be part of the specified method of installing a satellite system , but its really not crucial.
Look, all of your equipment is grounded inside the house once you plug it into an electrical outlet which are all.....grounded.
The reason why it is recommended to ground to NEC is that in theory as air from wind passes across the material of the antenna, it builds up a static charge. This charge allegedly can make the antenna a particularly good conductor of electricity. To expand on that theory it is thought that since the antenna is charged with either positive or negative electrons, it can be a target for a lightning strike.
Ok I will buy that. Here's the rub....If that antenna becomes the conductive path for lightning, my concern would immediately turn to dialing 911 because it is likely my house is going to burn to the ground...
Anyway, Dish specs say the switch can be grounded to the main house ground without use of a grounding block...Use a 10 ga solid copper wire to the D mark....it is not recommended to use a ground rod.....But if that is what you need to do, then go ahead. It won't harm anything.

If you already have grounded the duo node, you do not have to ground the DPP44 switch. My system is set up almost exactly as that diagram but I have a ground on the node after the 44 switch

Couple of grounding questions if an satellite installer could help out. Is the dish antenna itself considered to be grounded thru the coax cable if the Node or DPP44 switch is grounded? If the dish antenna is grounded by a separate ground wire to ground does the Node or DPP44 switch need to be grounded too? I have heard of several combinations and not sure which is correct. Just wonder what is the latest NEC and DISH requirements are! Thanks for any help.

Couple of grounding questions if an satellite installer could help out. Is the dish antenna itself considered to be grounded thru the coax cable if the Node or DPP44 switch is grounded? If the dish antenna is grounded by a separate ground wire to ground does the Node or DPP44 switch need to be grounded too? I have heard of several combinations and not sure which is correct. Just wonder what is the latest NEC and DISH requirements are! Thanks for any help.

Generally a small wire called the messenger wire is attached to the coax. One end is connected to the dish, the other end to the ground block or switch. Then a separate larger gauge solid copper wire goes from the ground block or switch to the house ground.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Generally a small wire called the messenger wire is attached to the coax. One end is connected to the dish, the other end to the ground block or switch. Then a separate larger gauge solid copper wire goes from the ground block or switch to the house ground.
So how do you ground when there is no messenger wire attached to the coax?

So how do you ground when there is no messenger wire attached to the coax?

We're only supposed to use coax with messenger. :)

That said, if there's no messenger wire then you probably shouldn't worry about it. If you are worried about it then you should either run a new coax with messenger or run a separate ground wire from the dish to the ground block or switch.

We're only supposed to use coax with messenger. :)

That said, if there's no messenger wire then you probably shouldn't worry about it. If you are worried about it then you should either run a new coax with messenger or run a separate ground wire from the dish to the ground block or switch.
I have a green ground wire going from my dish to ground. Four coax from my dish 1000+ goes thru a coax ground block to my first DPP44 switch. The coax ground block has a green ground wire to ground. Is that method OK since I don't have coax with messenger wire?

I have a green ground wire going from my dish to ground. Four coax from my dish 1000+ goes thru a coax ground block to my first DPP44 switch. The coax ground block has a green ground wire to ground. Is that method OK since I don't have coax with messenger wire?

Yes, the green wire from the dish to the ground is much better than a messenger wire. As long as both the dish and the coax are both grounded to the house ground you're in good shape.

So does the dish antenna itself need a ground wire too?
It is said that because the air passing across the antenna creates a buildup of negatively charged electrons, it is a good idea to connect a 17 ga wire from the mast foot to the d mark..Quite frankly, IMO this is not essential.

It is said that because the air passing across the antenna creates a buildup of negatively charged electrons, it is a good idea to connect a 17 ga wire from the mast foot to the d mark..Quite frankly, IMO this is not essential.
Is grounding the antenna mask what DISH and the NEC wants? It seems to me the mask would be grounded thru the coax built in cable shield (not the messenger wire) from the LNB to the Node or Switch then a ground wire from Node or Switch to ground. What do you think?

Is grounding the antenna mask what DISH and the NEC wants? It seems to me the mask would be grounded thru the coax built in cable shield (not the messenger wire) from the LNB to the Node or Switch then a ground wire from Node or Switch to ground. What do you think?
When you consider that the LNB mount is plastic you'll realize that there is no way for the coax to ground the dish. the only way is through the messenger wire or separate wire to the dish/mast.

When you consider that the LNB mount is plastic you'll realize that there is no way for the coax to ground the dish. the only way is through the messenger wire or separate wire to the dish/mast.
OK, that makes sense. I thought all LNBs and the mount were metal.