Grounding issues - please help

garfield207

Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
MD
I just rented a house and wanted to move my dish network service. The installer sent by dish network inspected my location and told me that only place he can install antenna is on roof. My landlord won't allow me to have antenna on roof (well, he wants to get a written guarantee that if his roof ever leaks, he would be covered - installer saya that DN will guarantee for a yr only, not forever). anyway, long story short, DN wont install dish anywhere else other than roof and I cant have it on roof.

I found a location at the far end of my backyard where I am able to get signal. I hooked up dish to the fence and and its working great. I have a coaxial cable running across the yard and connected to wall outlet (inlet for my setup) just inside the basement door. Then signal travels on internal wiring to garage on front of the house where all coaxial cables inside the house converge. There I have it connected to a cable which ends in my living room where I have my STB.

Now the issues: At the moment neither dish nor the coaxial cable is grounded. The grounding rod is in front of the house and there is no way to run a grounding wire from dish to the house ground. I can connect my coaxial cable where it emerges in garage to my house ground. Would that be enough? Can I install a ground rod near the dish in my backyard and connect dish and coaxial cable to that? Would that serve the purpose? Also, my dish is only about 2 ft off of the ground. I cant raise it any higher as my neighbors tree branches then block the signal. So my dish is sitting next to a 7 ft high wooden fence. As top of my dish is well below top of the fence, does that lower chances of lightening strike?

Any advice on how to increase safety of my setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

If it's working, go with it. Don't use a ground rod or ground the dish separate from the house ground, that guarantees a voltage differential that could damage the equipment. Code would require a #6 copper wire from the remote ground rod to the house ground but not much chance of lightning mounted that low. Just ground the coax to the nearest house ground.

If it's working, go with it. Don't use a ground rod or ground the dish separate from the house ground, that guarantees a voltage differential that could damage the equipment. Code would require a #6 copper wire from the remote ground rod to the house ground but not much chance of lightning mounted that low. Just ground the coax to the nearest house ground.
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts