Grounding of components Solo Node, 2 way splitter and Integrator and loss of Sat signal/503 errors

evilsofa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Atlanta, Ga
My installation is about 5 months old going on 6. Dish contractor installed a Hopper w/sling, Super Joey and a Joey, all new wiring and a new dish (I held out and was still using my 322 boxes with old series 1 tivos till I could not stand only recording 2 shows at a time anymore). Everything was working ok till about a month and a half ago when I started getting recordings which were cut off with loss of signal and occasionally getting 503 loss of signal errors watching live tv. I have run a check switch and it tests ok, have done a power cycle of hopper and SJ then run test switch again and it is still ok however still have issues. I was going over the diagram from page 12 of the hopperjoeysystem_jobaid.pdf file and comparing to my cabling and everything looks spot on, connectors are tight no corrosion and center leg is long to reach connector inside devices. The only difference I noticed is on the diagram it shows the Integrator should be grounded to the Solo Node, mine is not could this be causing all of my issues?

You also have to ask yourself the question that if the grounding was the reason why did it work for so long and then all of a sudden it's flakey.

For me, I had a node go bad about 3 months ago after a 2 year install. Same as you, I checked all this on the Hopper and the connections and everything was good. Unless you have an approved signal measuring device to measure the signal strength at the dish and after the node outputs then you will probably need a tech to come out and measure for you to trace down why you are losing signal strength.

Been seeing a few of these issues being posted in online forums lately and it's almost always the node when this issue crops up after the customer has had a working setup for months/years. And not like it's a problem during a new/updated install. And yes, I do recall someone with a fairly recent install where a node went bad.

Good luck.

Reactions: Skytrooper