Grounding Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluetrain1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
I live in the city and my loft has roof access. On the roof I have 3 satellite dishes, one Over-The-Air HD UHF bowtie antenna and one old style analog antenna for my standard (non-digital) locals. Nothing is grounded! Living dangerously I know, but at 65 feet off the ground it would be a 150ft round trip at best to send all the cables down to street level and then back to my loft. Besides, I don't own my building so any permanent changes are frowned upon if ever discovered. I have put high end surge protectors on all the equipment and lightning arrestors on all the coax lines. My question is this: Is there any way to send one single ground wire down to street level (I can see an outdoor water pipe that Comcast and Verizon have strapped on to) and have some sort of central, multi-dish grounding block at the roof level? Also, I have heard that if I properly ground my Over-The-Air Antennas that I may even get a better signal. Is that true?
Thanks for any help, pictures, links, etc.

A system ground does not improve reception but allows for the dissipation of static changes so lightning does not get attracted to your system.

An antenna system is usually at the highest point on the home and a prime target for lightning strike.

A surge supressor will not survive a direct hit and neither will your equipment.

recipe:
-solid copper ground wire from sat mount
-solid copper ground wire from antenna mount
-ground block for antenna coax
-ground block for satellite coax
-combining and ground attachment hardware

The entire system (all coax, sat and antenna mount) needs to be grounded at a point before the coax enters the home. All ground wires would be combined to 1 and connected to a grounding point (electical system ground, metal electric meter box,etc... water pipe is not attachment spot).

Ok here is one for you techies....

Can you connect two double ground blocks to the same ground? I can not seem to find a quad ground block locally (but can on the internet). I have two brand new doubles (2300 Mhz rated) and I was thinking of taking one ground cable and connecting the ground through both connections. Is this correct, or should I just get a quad.

Essentially, I would run the ground wire through the first ground block connection and then push the wire through to the second. Kinda like grounding it in paralell. The ground would be connected to my electrical box ground as thats where the cables go into the house.

-Mark

Thanks for the link Bhelms.

There are a few other stores locally that have them....plus I might check the local dish retailer and see if they have one. If not, I'll order one from one of sponsors here at sat guys.

-Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)