Grounding The System Question

kasitrol@yahoo.com

Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I know that the RG6 from the LNB to the Receiver must be grounded through a grounding block. My question is how far / or close does the grounding block have to be to the LNB's? Can I run a long RG6 30 Ft. before attaching to the grounding block and the LNB? In other words LNB---30Ft RG6---Grounding Block then from the Grounding Block to the reciever? Also is it ok to bury standard RG6 in the ground?

Per the NEC, the coax ground block needs to be at your point of entry into your house. The ground connection itself should be bonded to your main entrance's ground. There should also be a ground from the dish or mount to the ground block. Some coaxes provide an attached "messenger" wire for this purpose. I use 10 ga. THHN. There is no limit to the distance between the ground block and the LNBs beyond the equipment constraints, e.g. max 200' total run from the receiver to the LNBs with DP/DPP equipment.

There is special RG-6 made for direct burial. Ask the retailers. Standard coax could go in conduit, however...

I buy 10' ground rods and weld a V tip on the end to make ground penetration easy. Put entry a ground block wherever I feel like it ;)

with all that being said, keep in mind E* new ground policy also states that the ground wire from ground block to ground source can now no longer be more than 20ft. you also want to make sure that from the ground block, you have a shorter ground wire than you do coax to the receiver. Electricity takes shortest path of resistance. Also if you stick to the 4" service loop guidlines, that will also be a second backup for lightning, not very many electrical surges rated at several hundred million volts/several hundred thousand amps can pass through a 4" bend of RG6, it will just blow through at the bend.

Last edited:
I use a grounding block that simly grounds the outside layer or the RG6. I use compression connectors. The rod is hammered into the ground next to the Dish 1000 pole and a second copper wire comes from the Dish mount itself (also metal). Total overkill it stands inches from a 50 ft tall building. Total 4 ft to the house, cable is buried. The inside end inserts into a Panamax 5500Pro surge suppressor/voltage regulator, that BTW also provides isolated power to the projector for noise free HD. Of course the PQ is xxxxd up by HDLite, xxxx xxx Charlie very much :)

If your ground rod isn't bonded to the house ground, a ground loop could* be created putting a voltage potential on your receiver. Be careful.

Yes, any antenna placed into the air is grounded by the installers. Television, radio, cell towers all are well grounded with thought towards both electronic protection, human protection as well as lightning protection.

No kidding

Do TV networks/stations ground their systems too?
Good God yes. They are done on what is called a star system. everything is ground to 1 point and it runs from that in what is called a star. That way there is no different ground potential difference between all the different equipment. In transmitters there will be 2 and 3 inch wide copper ground strips run to solid earth ground. There are some wicked big amps and volts in a transmitter system that can kill dead instantly. I have myself been bit but 480vac from an FM transmitter. If it had been DC It would not have survived since it was AC it hit me then kicked me off on the reverse phase. It left burns in the center of my palms. I hurt like I had the flu for 2 days after it. It would have killed me if the x-mitter had not been well grounded and most of it went to ground.
:eek:

Good God yes. They are done on what is called a star system. everything is ground to 1 point and it runs from that in what is called a star. That way there is no different ground potential difference between all the different equipment. In transmitters there will be 2 and 3 inch wide copper ground strips run to solid earth ground. There are some wicked big amps and volts in a transmitter system that can kill dead instantly. I have myself been bit but 480vac from an FM transmitter. If it had been DC It would not have survived since it was AC it hit me then kicked me off on the reverse phase. It left burns in the center of my palms. I hurt like I had the flu for 2 days after it. It would have killed me if the x-mitter had not been well grounded and most of it went to ground.
:eek:

thanks that's interesting to know. My system is grounded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)