Grrr...lamp blown on DLP, now gotta watch TV on 13"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have seen replacement bulbs on ebay. Maybe could save a few bucks there. But try to be relatively sure that the seller is honest (feedbacks). If I have a bulb go out, at least I have a second set to fall back on. The older set is a Sammy 43" DLP, and the newer set is a 52" JVC HD-ILA. Would really be a super coincedence(spelling?) to lose both at the same time.

Ah, yet another reason to wait for the LED DLP sets...

120inna55 said:
Replaced the lamp today. All is well. When I went into SM to clear the lamp hours I noted that I'd used 6832 hours on the old lamp. I suppose that's expected. The lamps rated for 5000 hrs.

Checked mine the other day and I have just over 7000 hours on it, so I expect it to go in the near future. Decided it's time to pick-up a spare. Samsung lamp prices have been pretty much stable for the past 2 years.

NightRyder

hdtvtechno said:
Do you have any info on when they be available ?

The estimates I have seen say these are at least 2 years away. Long time to wait, IMHO.

NightRyder

Purogamer said:
Paranoid much?

No just a tightwad. I think that a certain amount of inconvenience is a part of life. Flat tires, blown DLP bulbs etc. Rather keep the little money I have in my pocket until I am forced to spend it. LOL

I bought a spare lamp about 6 months after I got my Sammy, which is now a little over 3 years ago. Sure, it was a tad spendy, but I look at it this way: the way things go, the lamp will probably go out on a Friday night or Saturday morning, leaving me with no TV. No way will I be able to get service on it during the weekend, so I have a spare, just in case.

Most people have insurance of some kind...an extra lamp is just another kind of insurance. :)

My lamp is rated at at 8000 hours and I estimate that I have about 7500 or so hours on it, so it's getting close.

NightRyder said:
The estimates I have seen say these are at least 2 years away. Long time to wait, IMHO.
My reasons for waiting for LED illumination for DLP RPTVs:
  1. High-powered LEDs have lifetimes that vary from 20,000 - 200,000 hours;
  2. Ellimination of the color wheel by using red, green, and blue LEDs switched faster than the eye can detect to eliminate the "rainbow effect";
  3. "Instant" On: no waiting for a projector bulb to come up to temperature;
  4. "Instant Off": no harm in shutting the TV off before a thermal cycle completes;
  5. Less heat generated.

I'm willing to wait for these advantages. LED-backlit LCD sets are now here, so it shouldn't be too much longer for LEDs to power other display technologies, IMHO.

Foxbat said:
My reasons for waiting for LED illumination for DLP RPTVs:
  1. High-powered LEDs have lifetimes that vary from 20,000 - 200,000 hours;
  2. Ellimination of the color wheel by using red, green, and blue LEDs switched faster than the eye can detect to eliminate the "rainbow effect";
  3. "Instant" On: no waiting for a projector bulb to come up to temperature;
  4. "Instant Off": no harm in shutting the TV off before a thermal cycle completes;
  5. Less heat generated.
I'm willing to wait for these advantages. LED-backlit LCD sets are now here, so it shouldn't be too much longer for LEDs to power other display technologies, IMHO.

Foxbat: I understand the advantages of LED illumination, but by the time they become available I will have enjoyed my current DLP set for 5 years +. There is always some new whiz bang technology just over the horizon, but you have to pull the trigger at some point or you'll always be waiting for the next big thing.

Have a safe, enjoyable holiday season.

NightRyder

FAYRICH said:
Have seen replacement bulbs on ebay. Maybe could save a few bucks there. But try to be relatively sure that the seller is honest (feedbacks).

I just picked up my spare for $150 + $11 shipping and insurance. Not too bad...:)

NightRyder

Usually I spend my time eternally watching the next whiz bang thing over the horizon and never spending money on anything. Not this year however. It's been a good year for me. I picked up a Sony KD34XBR960 at the start of the year and I'm still loving it. And, in September, I picked up a new DELL computer with a 3.2Ghz dual-core extreme-edition EMM64 processor with 800Mhz FSB, 4Gb of RAM at 667Mhz, 2 nVidia 7800 GTX video cards with SLi configuration, a Terabyte in disk space and Windows XP Pro x64 edition. I also picked up two of the 24" DELL 2405FPW monitors. I couldn't be happier with any of it. It'll be a long time from now before I'll need to replace anything. ;)

The best part is that everything is already fully paid for.

So, if you have the extra money, take the leap and get what you want now. You'll be happier in the long run than having waited.

Somewhat back on topic, I would keep a spare bulb on hand just in case the bulb picked an inopertune time to die. Although, if it was more than $400, I might gamble on the service plan instead.

NightRyder, I agree that the new crop of DLP sets are nice, but when I was shopping 2 years ago, DLPs were "only" 1280x720 vs. the 1920x1080 sets that are now available, and the Samsung 56" HDTV cost almost $5K at that time. I spent less than half that on my Mitsubishi 55" CRT HDTV and figured I'd put the rest in the bank until the new technology was available and "affordable".

[Soapbox=On]I guess my issue with single-chip DLP sets comes down to the color wheel. It's like needing a hand crank to start the 1,001hp quad-turbo W16 in the $1,250,000 Bugatti Veyron. The only moving parts in a TV should be the speakers.[Soapbox=Off]

Thanks for the holiday greetings: have a pleasent holiday and enjoy your HDTV!

I really enjoy my Sammy DLP and don't have an issue with a color wheel, really. Sure, it's kind of a weird idea when you think about it, but when I first saw a DLP screen, I was impressed. I thought it was a plasma at first, then as I got closer and saw the depth of it, well, obviously it wasn't a plasma. I read the literature, went home and researched it. I'd spent a little over 2 years researching HDTVs before I decided what to buy. It ended up being a DLP.

In 21 months or thereabouts, I'll be in the market again for a new HD set. I've already begun my research. Again, everything (except old-tech RPTV) will be on the table for consideration.

The reason I went with DLP in the first place was because it was the lowest maintenance, fewest problem technology at the time I was ready to make a purchase.

Purogamer said:
You keep a spare tire in the trunk?

Have you checked the spare in your trunk? Most spare tires when needed are flat. Noone ever checks the spare tire and over time it loses air.

That is what people worry about when buying spare parts. What can happen over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts