Grundig AN-200 Loop for BCB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Been using the Grundig AN-200 loop antenna (bought from Universal Radio) placed atop a Lazy Susan (for easy rotation). The AN-200 is a loop antenna with a variable capacitor for BCB radios. You can place it near the radio if the radio has a ferrite loopstick or if not the AN-200 comes with a 1/8 inch jack to connect to the receiver's antenna jack.

Have used it indoors with a Sierra 303B selective levelmeter and a Yaesu FRG-100, works great. Nice thing is that you rotate towards the station for best results while nulling out other interference.

Attachments

• SUNP0024.JPG
    SUNP0024.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 187
The AN-200 (sold under Eton, Grundig, Kaito and Tecsun brand names) is designed uniquely for AM broadcast (540-1600KHz) reception. It is a more stylized (and a little more tipsy) version of the AN-100 and offers identical performance.

It probably would have been better to stick with the more common MW band designation rather than using an obscure (if not made-up) Three Letter Acronym.

When I bought my AN-100, they came with a 3.5mm jack on one end and tinned leads on the other so that's a nice improvement for receivers that have the appropriate jack. Mine is connected to spring terminals so it worked out better to have the tinned leads.

BCB = Broadcast Band, commonly known as the AM broadcast band to most hobbyists.
Many multi-band radios designate it as MW band.

None of the major search engines nor Wikipedia find BCB in the context of amateur radio.

If you search Google for BCB radio, the first few pages of hits are for Bradford Community Broadcasting.

If you search for BCB band, you get a bunch of Facebook links to the Barry Cook Band.

MW, on the other hand, makes an appearance under Science and Technology on Wikipedia.

Eton (Grundig) describes their very popular multi-band Executive Satellit thusly:
www.eton.com said:
The Executive Satellit receives every radio wavelength—AM(MW), FM with RDS, LW, and Shortwave (SW)—at home or abroad.

The ARRL doesn't list BCB among their list of acronyms (although they do reference BC for broadcast).

The Acronym finder is the one place that I did find a proper reference and they gave it three stars out of five for being a likely candidate. The reference (The Free Dictionary) assigns the designation to all of the commonly used bands including AM, FM, shortwave and TV. Oddly, they use the alternate MF rather than MW in reference to AM.

I offered my suggestion because I couldn't easily find any relevant reference to the term you used. Modern tech discussions can be confusing enough without introducing poser TLAs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)