Guide not working on my 721

caseyatbt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 29, 2003
Monument, CO
I can't get the guide to display on my 721. I push the guide button on both my remotes.....nothing. I try to access it from the menu.......nothing.
It looks like I can access everything else.
I rebooted the machine twice.

Still nothing.

JC

Time to speak to advanced technical support. They may have to replace the receiver. My 721 EPG is working as we speak.

I have noticed that if the machine is real busy (cleaning up just after a reboot for example) the guide may not come up when you ask for it. Waiting a while for things to settle down always clears it up for me.

I spoke too soon. My 721 would only do limited things. It would allow me to go to the EPG but not move around in it, and such things as that. Had to do a reboot.

caseyatbt said:
It started working correctly the next day after shutting down overnight.

Yep, that's the ticket. I had this happen several times a few months back. Seems that when the guide hasn't downloaded for a while, things start locking up. Hasn't happened since I've convinced the family to put our 721 in standby at night.

Dave

I've been in the habit of pushing the front panel button ever since I owned a 7200 so that explains why I've never seen this problem.

My guide is missing all of a sudden.

Everything else works perfect and had for months!

The adv. tech said its a known issue and even repalcing with a new recvr won't help. She also said (Susan was her name and she didn't sound too advanced as she didn't know of the problem and was going to replace the remote before I got stern with her about the issue) that there is no fix for this known issue.

She said to hold the power button down for 7 seconds and that may help.
My question is, if I do that, will it erase my recordings?

Thanks

rsebolt said:
She said to hold the power button down for 7 seconds and that may help.
My question is, if I do that, will it erase my recordings?
Thanks
Your recordings **SHOULD** be ok (I've done the 7 sec reboot, or it's cousin the power off/power on, a number of times, and have never lost my recordings).

HOWEVER, it's linux based, and if the fsck that runs at boot fixes a problem there is always the potential for data loss.

well, i held down the power button for 7 seconds.

It started up with the black dish network icon screen said testing and validating hard drive.
Then it said 703 attention starting recvr, then it appears to freeze the screen.

After a couple minutes, it reboots back to the black dish icon screen, and goes through the whole procedure again.
Except, this time it says attention 678 acquiring data from satellite.

I press GUIDE and my guide appears! YEA!! :)

AND my DVR items are STILL SAVED! WOOHOO!!

Thanks!

Interesting, I had this happen to my 721 last week. Press the guide button and nothing would happen. Tried a couple full restarts/reboots and it still didn't work. The next morning it was fine...and we always turn the 721 off at night. Not sure what was going on...but it is working now. The funny thing is that even though the guide would not display, it didn't miss any timers! I could also see what was on next on the channel I was watching by pressing the right cursor button - so it looks like the guide data was there but the main guide was not accessible. Could this be another problem with the latest update?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts