guide sorted "backwards"

aliaga61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
This isn't a big deal, but when you hit the guide button the channels are listed with the lowest channel on the buttom, making you page up to go through the list. I'm so use to paging down to get the higher channels that it's a bit annoying. Is this something with just the 522 or is that the way Dish displays its channel guide? Is there a way to change the order? Again, this is more so just an annoyance and if it can't be changed, I suppose I'll be able to survive (not sure though).

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
I cant remember off hand but I believe the 522 and 811 will sort ascending the 510 311 and 301 i think can be toggled... i cant remember off hand though but ive gotten used to it.

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
That is the order Dish uses, some receivers allow you to change it. I have not looked to see if the 522 order can be changed. (its more natural to me to page up for higher numbered channels). It would be a menu option some where if it can be changed.

aliaga61

Sep 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
yeah, i tried searching around for it, but couldn't find anything...just wanting to see if anyone had any luck finding something. i'm just so use to my old cable (sorry, i had to say it)

Ned Dorsey

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 30, 2004
Reno
I'm also used to the higher channel numbers lower on the screen like my TiVo - but the 522 doesn't have an option to change the order like I've seen on the 510.

genglish

Nov 14, 2004
My 811 has the menu option to change ascending/descending, but so far I have not found this (seemingly obvious) option on my 522. It's a bit annoying when I move from one TV to another.

Why in the world would this be the default anyway? I have never seen any other electronic (DirecTV, digital cable, online internet) or printed program guides sorted this way. Guess I'm not fully initiated into the E* way yet ;) .

Gary

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
all of my receivers (3000, 4000, 5000, 301, 508) have had this option. I dont see why the 522 wouldn't

Is it under options/preferences or system install? Channel listing ascending/descending?

Wishbone

SatelliteGuys Guru
May 27, 2004
Newberg, OR
genglish said:
Why in the world would this be the default anyway? I have never seen any other electronic (DirecTV, digital cable, online internet) or printed program guides sorted this way. Guess I'm not fully initiated into the E* way yet ;) .

Gary
I just pretend I'm in an elevator when going through the guide.. Higher floors on top. ;)

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I have to admit I sure liked my Time Warner Cable guide through the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 series much more than the E* guide through the 522. It was quicker to navigate, looked quite a bit better, sorted the channels right, and contained more useful information. Nothing bugs me more than seeing everything on HBO or Showtime listed as "Program type: Movie." No $h!t sherlock. TWC categorizes movies, series, and specials by genre totalling several dozen categories. The E* guide contents do have a few redeeming qualities though. For series it tells you what year that particular episode was aired, and it shows who starred in it. Also the two week guide is nice, when the SciAtl could only hold a few days at a time, meaning if you jump 3 days ahead it will have to wait to download that guide data, losing some other day it had stored. And the guide data only went out about 7 days.

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
I had to get used to it. but strangely enough our digital cable around here (my parents house currently) sorts ascending like the 522 as well. So When i got E* i changed them all to that way anyway. once you get used to it it starts to make some sense.

maximum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 1, 2004
Phoenix
I used to have Qwest Choice TV and their guide was also better. You could list shows for a single channel and the search only listed programs on channels you subscribed to. The themes were also broken down into sub categories.

I hardly ever use the Themes feature on my 522 because I subscribe to AT60 and I don't need to see a long list of programs I don't get. Too bad you can't restrict results to one of your favorites lists. I guess they want us to see all the stuff we're not subscribing to, hoping it will entice us to subscribe to a higher tier and/or add add premium channels. But it just makes the search and themes features suck.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
The 522 doesn't have an option for sorting the channels in either ascending or descending order.

Look at it this way: You push channel "up" and go to a higher channel number. It DOES make more sense than pushing "up" and going to a lower number.

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
I am not sure if pressing down to go up feels natural to me or if I was just used to Direct's way of doing it. I recall thinking Direct's was backwards when I got that years ago, and I am starting to get used to Dish's way of up, up and up.

What I do not like is having to move my eyes over to see the name of a show that is running the entire time period. I would like them to be left justified instead of centered so all show titles start in the same spot.

I hope this comment didn't hijack this thread. If there is a better place for the second paragraph, I'll edit it out and move it.

aliaga61

Sep 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
no you're fine...i started it, so i'll allow it :) it's related anyway.

when you think about it, it does make sense to press up and get the higher channels, but i think when you're accustomed to it being the opposite, it's hard to adjust to dish's way of doing things.

if i had grown up on dish, i know this wouldn't even be an issue with me. but since i didn't....change it NOW!! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)