H-20 DIGITAL SOUND OUTPUT in MONO for "ALL" non-HD channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jalegria11

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Centreville, VA
H-20 OPTICAL output in MONO for "ALL" non-HD channels?

I've just found out something very strange... about my H-20 D* receiver...

I have it connected to my Pioneer receiver through the optical connector, and I am definitely a conscious audioholic.

NOW... the WEIRDEST thing!
(And I hope it is not only my case...)

With my headphones for "stereo" troubleshooting, I switched channels, and to my surprise, ALL the channels with the exception of the HD ones... come out in AWFUL MONO sound !!!

I switched to VH-1 and MTV to make sure I heard the music videos in STEREO... and GUESS WHAT, ALSO MONO !!!! no separation whatsoever!

And it is very deceiving, since the amplifier will show the signal is in "STEREO" but once you hear it with your headphones, IT IS NOT!

Then changed to local HD channels, also, 74,76,78,79, and the Pioneer receiver picks up a perfect "Dolby Digital" STEREO/5.1 signal !

Now, I'll tell you how I got it to go from mono to STEREO... for the "STEREO" non-HD channels.

HERE IS WHERE MY TWILIGHT ZONE TROUBLESHOOTING STARTS..................

I just plugged one RCA cable (L+R) into one of the H-20's (L+R) stereo outputs, and MAGIC !!! the STEREO SOUND appeared right away! :music

And, as you will wonder, where is this RCA cable going to? Is it connected to anything on the other end? NO!

I have never seen/heard of anything like that!

Please, I hope someone test this situation.

And I just tested it, before posting... since I do not want to sound "NUTS"...

Very strange... :confused:

JA

Last edited:
I connected the analog L+R audio cables during setup, so I could switch between DD & DPLII with the receiver. DPLII often sounds better than DD2.0.

H-20 optical = MONO on non-HD and XM music channels...

Thanx! ArXaw:

Did you try unplugging the analog L+R wire from the H-20 though?
Just to find out if your optical signal becomes "mono"?

A better test can be done on the XM music channels (all in DD 2.0)

The H-20 optical still gave me "mono" audio but, once I connected the analog L+R wire, it became DD 2.0 right away.

Remember... this L+R wire is still not plugged at one end... :confused:

I am pretty sure I did not have this problem with my H-10...
Maybe is a firmware bug...

That is so odd. I definitely plan on checking this out tonight. Let me get this straight, though. You just connected one regular RCA cable to the left or right audio out on the H20 - but did not connect the other end to the Pioneer receiver???? And doing that corrected the Optical out signal???

Last edited:
YES! kentuck1163 :D

RCA L+R cable is connected to both L+R outs on the H-20.
The loose end is not connected to the receiver... (definitely odd...)
but just resting behind the H-20.

Just to still be baffled by this situation... I now unplug one (L) channel from the H-20,
and (the XM music channel or MTV) goes to "mono" right away.
Plug it back, goes to DD 2.0.

And it DOES CORRECT the Optical OUT signal" !!! :up :)

Please DO TEST IT, and let me know!

Is your h20 audio output set to dolby digital or pcm (or whatevever the second option is)?

Dolby Digital, since I do get the HD channels in full DD 5.1 (when available...)

Try it out! It still doesn't make sense to me, but it is happening with my H-20.
I would like to find out if somebody else test this, specially with the XM music channels where you will hear the difference right away!

Sorry, but I'm not moving all my equipment so I can get to and FIND the right cables to unplug! :)

It is interesting, though.

As beakor said, make sure your audio setting in the H20 setup menu is on DD, not PCM, etc.

arxaw said:
Sorry, but I'm not moving all my equipment so I can get to and FIND the right cables to unplug! :)

It is interesting, though.

As beakor said, make sure your audio setting in the H20 setup menu is on DD, not PCM, etc.

I know the feeling arXaw... :)
That's why I am keeping the "loose end" disconnected.
There is no way, I am moving the receiver, but it WORKS!

It is set to DD.

I am glad you are also using both, the optical connector and the analog L+R configuration for the sake of it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have my h20 connected to my amp using the optical connector, the h20 is set on dolby digital. I went to the xm stations and plugged the rca cables only into the back of the h20 audio out, and it was night and day. As crazy as it seems it works.

I called d* many times telling them that the xm stations sounded like they were in mono and it was I was like talking to a doorknob.

SO IT IS TRUE !!!

Thanks BEAKOR !!! for trying it out!

As you said it:

IT MAKES a NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE !!!

I guess I should get some credit for the discovery!

:) :up :eek: :up

Its freaky and just plain not right that this should work - but I tried it and, sure enough, as soon as I plugged in the RCA cables, the left-right separation was immediately there. Sound quality is drammatically better.

Why the heck does this work?? Something is DEFINITELY not right with the H20 for this to work. And if three of us so far have all replicated the same thing, then I would bet this would be true for all H20 users.

Let me get this straight. For me to get the correct stereo effect on the H20 using the optical cable I STILL need to use the RCA cables plugged to the back but they don't need to be hooked up to anything?

scotsmanron said:
Let me get this straight. For me to get the correct stereo effect on the H20 using the optical cable I STILL need to use the RCA cables plugged to the back but they don't need to be hooked up to anything?

Yup. Thats exactly it.

I have my H20 hooked to my TV using the HDMI cable, but I use the optical audio out straight to my AV receiver. I had noticed that the sound on non-HD channels really didn't sound good, but would never have thought to try this. I was sceptical - believe me - but I opened up the RCA cables that came with the H20 and as soon as I plugged the second one in, the sound through the optical to my receiver sounded great. I mean, its VERY noticeable. Just like switching your receiver from mono to stereo.

Be sure to try this on a non-DD 5.1 channel - because there is no problem with those channels. Just with the regular stereo channels.

That's what everyone is saying.

D* needs to know about this. Someone should call a bug report in to D* tech support about this "mono-only on non-DD 5.1 channels like XM, if no analog cables are connected" bug.
800 263-0038
Ask for Level 2 tech support to get someone who does more than read from a script.

If you leave the analog cables "dangling" you might want to insulate the ends with black tape, etc. If they shorted out, it may (or may not) mess up the H20. Better safe than sorry.

I never had the problem because I always connect the analog cables to the stereo as a backup. Sometimes analog Dolby Pro Logic or DPLII actually sounds better than DD or DD5.1. I also switch to DPL when DD5.1 gets out of sync occasionally.

Yet another H20 bug....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any GREAT HD DVR SUPER-DEALS? (Maybe for returning a HD reciever for refund?)

D* Lease model - Did they think about this???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)