H/D update per Swanni..

Status
Please reply by conversation.
His "insider" information looks to be culled from AVS, Satguys, and DBSTalk. Take it with a grain of salt.

this man is not a real journalist. do not waste your time reading his stuff. he steals all his info. and when he does appear to quote somone legit, the info is incorrect.

Are they on???

This is the response I got from Investor Relations as i'm a shareholder. at 1:52pm CT 9/19 from Martin Sheehan from IR at D*. I'm at the office so i can't check my system, but it sounds like "between 10 and 20 new" channels are on now.

Thanks for the email and I appreciate your frustration, I too am a huge HD fan. The issue we have is that we don’t know exactly when channels will be available for viewing – we have to “receive” the channel from the provider (and these dates have change from time to time), and then we have to test it over the satellite to ensure there aren’t any quality issues. So it is very difficult to say that on 9/19 “x” number of channels will be available ahead of time (to be honest I am surprised that our customer service reps are commenting on dates and I am going to look into this).

In fact, the CSRs were correct that 10 – 20 new HD channels were going to be launched today, but just yesterday, that was delayed due to technical issues. Fortunately it appears the technical issues were overcome and you should be able to access somewhere between 10 and 20 new channels (I haven’t counted them all) right now.

As the rest of the quarter rolls out, more and more channels will become available, not necessarily on a firm schedule unfortunately. In about a month, with the launch of a fair number of additional channels, we will begin a marketing push to our current customers and to potential new ones. A couple of points to make – if you tune to channel 247 (TBS) - or any other new HD channel - on your new HD box, it will automatically tune to the HD version – also the guide will display 2 channels – one for HD and one for SD. So, in the meantime before our marketing push, hopefully customers will quickly “discover” all these new channels. Finally, on the guide, if you select HD Channels – all will be listed.

Thanks for your patience on this – I think DIRECTV will make the wait worth your while with a significant rollout of HD channels over the coming months.

Martin Sheehan
Investor Relations

This is the response I got from Investor Relations as i'm a shareholder. at 1:52pm CT 9/19 from Martin Sheehan from IR at D*. I'm at the office so i can't check my system, but it sounds like "between 10 and 20 new" channels are on now.

Thanks for the email and I appreciate your frustration, I too am a huge HD fan. The issue we have is that we don’t know exactly when channels will be available for viewing – we have to “receive” the channel from the provider (and these dates have change from time to time), and then we have to test it over the satellite to ensure there aren’t any quality issues. So it is very difficult to say that on 9/19 “x” number of channels will be available ahead of time (to be honest I am surprised that our customer service reps are commenting on dates and I am going to look into this).

In fact, the CSRs were correct that 10 – 20 new HD channels were going to be launched today, but just yesterday, that was delayed due to technical issues. Fortunately it appears the technical issues were overcome and you should be able to access somewhere between 10 and 20 new channels (I haven’t counted them all) right now.

As the rest of the quarter rolls out, more and more channels will become available, not necessarily on a firm schedule unfortunately. In about a month, with the launch of a fair number of additional channels, we will begin a marketing push to our current customers and to potential new ones. A couple of points to make – if you tune to channel 247 (TBS) - or any other new HD channel - on your new HD box, it will automatically tune to the HD version – also the guide will display 2 channels – one for HD and one for SD. So, in the meantime before our marketing push, hopefully customers will quickly “discover” all these new channels. Finally, on the guide, if you select HD Channels – all will be listed.

Thanks for your patience on this – I think DIRECTV will make the wait worth your while with a significant rollout of HD channels over the coming months.

Martin Sheehan
Investor Relations

April Fools!!!! or more appropriately Sept fools!

That is a big fat NO. I have a slingbox connected to my HD box at home and no channels are up. Don't know where this guy got his info.

Martin Sheehan
Investor Relations

Based on the information that currently exists, I'm assuming that a script needs to be sent to each receiver to enable it to now receive the new stations. I would guess that not every receiver is going to receive this script at exactly the same time? Is it possible, that they are in the process of authorizing the appropriate receivers and that some will see the new content before others?

"Some people are reporting that CSR's are currently telling them to expect the new channels September 21".

Oh great... here we go again. Now it will spread all over the boards that this is the new launch date and everyone will get their hopes up. All because of some more here-say from "others who heard it from a CSR".

I hope you people learned your lesson today. :)

Since the channels have "probably" already been broadcasting in engineering mode, it should be a simple (relatively speaking) thing to switch the access from engineering only to registered subscribers...

Swanni reminds me of kind of like the "liberal media", "Fox News if fair and balanced", and the Microsoft groups. People bash both, but if you asked for what their experience is with them and why they don't like them, they usually can't come up with a reason. Somebody else said it so rather than judge for themselves, they'll borrow the party line.

Swanni does do some original stuff, but he also attributes his work to the proper source. He's the same as any other media source. If you watch CNN or FN, you will see that a lot of the news that they report does not have any attribution. It is pulled off the wire services. Rather than bash him (and the CSRs, installers, D*, and E* for that matter), let people make their own judgments.

For all the Swanni bashers who say he does a terrible job, please send us a link to your site so that we can get the latest news.

Last edited:
Since the channels have "probably" already been broadcasting in engineering mode, it should be a simple (relatively speaking) thing to switch the access from engineering only to registered subscribers...
Not just simple Mobandit,....but, Inevitable!! :D

Swanni reminds me of kind of like the "liberal media", "Fox News if fair and balanced", and the Microsoft groups. People bash both, but if you asked for what their experience is with them and why they don't like them, they usually can't come up with a reason. Somebody else said it so rather than judge for themselves, they'll borrow the party line.

Swanni does do some original stuff, but he also attributes his work to the proper source. He's the same as any other media source. If you watch CNN or FN, you will see that a lot of the news that they report does not have any attribution. It is pulled off the wire services. Rather than bash him (and the CSRs, installers, D*, and E* for that matter), let people make their own judgments.

For all the Swanni bashers who say he does a terrible job, please send us a link to your site so that we can get the latest news.

i was a real journalist for over 25 years. would you like me to flood your email with the over a thousand stories i wrote for the orlando sentinel? would you like me to email you, my resume?

would you like me to email you my references?

even swann's bio at his website says he's a tv guy and is not a journalist.

I will try and give this thing a positive spin.........wasn't there a couple of HD channels from D* that was supposed to be launched at 6:00am ....but didnt and then out of no where they popped on around 7:00pm that same evening!!

Maybe this is what they have planned!!! Wasn't it DiscoveryHD and the switch from Bravo HD to Universal HD???

Anyone have a clue ?

Wish someone had a real idea about the start time/date.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing since Monday.

:hungry:

Matt the installer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts