H20 103 a/b a royal pain after power loss?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Is it really this much of a pain in the back side to get the H20 to see the 103 bird after a power outage or moving the receiver to a diferent part of the room? We lost power for a moment and I have since been through 6 resets by way of the front panel reset button, pulling the smart card, the power cord, the coax line, doing an internal reset, redoing the initial setup 8 times now and with the last two tries the receiver see's the missing bird but it wont show up when I try to go to the channel.

Is it really this much of a pain in the back side to get the H20 to see the 103 bird after a power outage or moving the receiver to a diferent part of the room? We lost power for a moment and I have since been through 6 resets by way of the front panel reset button, pulling the smart card, the power cord, the coax line, doing an internal reset, redoing the initial setup 8 times now and with the last two tries the receiver see's the missing bird but it wont show up when I try to go to the channel.

Van I have a H20-600 running the latest CE 0x4104 connected via SWM8. I haven't seen this in the past so I went up and pulled the power for a minute, powered it back up and no problem seeing any of the sats. There was a recall for some H20's, maybe yours is one that needs to get replaced?

h20-100

the h 20-100 had a recall contact dtv about this issue, If there is not and ECO-2 tag on receiver and it is an h20-100 it will need replaced.

H20-100 model and I still have no 103a/b even though the setup see's the bird so I have no idea whats going on. Now I have to keep a year of the protection plan so that I wont have to pay $50 for a service call and another couple hundred to replace my second hd box.

H20-100 model and I still have no 103a/b even though the setup see's the bird so I have no idea whats going on. Now I have to keep a year of the protection plan so that I wont have to pay $50 for a service call and another couple hundred to replace my second hd box.

I'm guessing that when you went back into the main set up menu, you DID remember select the 5 lnb set up, right :)

Protection plan is what $6 x 12 ... $ 72, well worth it for just this type of thing.
fwiw, I would not want to have to go out and screw with my dish in this weather .... of course I would, before I would call D* out.

Jimbo

Yea I've set it up each time to know that its a 5lnbf dish so Im thinking that its either the Bband converter or the receiver. The overall test has signal levels averaging %95 and as of this morning theres still no hd channels.

Yea I've set it up each time to know that its a 5lnbf dish so Im thinking that its either the Bband converter or the receiver. The overall test has signal levels averaging %95 and as of this morning theres still no hd channels.

Do you have another rec. that you can swap out a BBC to check ?

Without the BBC's you should still get the HD channels in the 70's, do they come in ?
At this point, I might call D* and ask them if they may have inadvertantly turned your HD signal off ... just trying to cover things before you go that route.
You probably need to call them about a service call anyways.

You have good signals on the 99 and 103 and still no picture ?
That would be really odd, thats why I thought about the HD service being shut off some how.

Jimbo

I have no signal showing for either 99 or 103 and no hd channels at all what so ever and no extra bbc. When I run the new install setup the receiver see's all the sats but theres no signal on the signal screen for those birds.

12 - 4 apointment and the installer isnt here yet, he called from a town 30 miles away and said he was on a nightmare job but would get here no matter what, this usually translates into " Im not coming but let me blow smoke up your shorts".

12 - 4 apointment and the installer isnt here yet, he called from a town 30 miles away and said he was on a nightmare job but would get here no matter what, this usually translates into " Im not coming but let me blow smoke up your shorts".

If they don't make the appointment call D* and usually they will give you a $100 bill credit for a missed appointment.

No it doesnt, it means he is on a nightmare job and had courtesy enough to call you and let you know he would be late. Geeze techs even get slammed for keeping people informed, no wonder so many long timers are quitting.. first pay drops and now customers with no empathy.

What does Channels 480 and 481 come back with?

If they don't make the appointment call D* and usually they will give you a $100 bill credit for a missed appointment.

Careful with that.. the tech had enough courtesy to say he was running behind. D* is trying to get that $100 out of the techs pockets now (or will soon) oO Which translates to.. If I'm running late, I will just cancel or reschedule you now verses showing up an hour late.

No it doesnt, it means he is on a nightmare job and had courtesy enough to call you and let you know he would be late. Geeze techs even get slammed for keeping people informed, no wonder so many long timers are quitting.. first pay drops and now customers with no empathy.

What does Channels 480 and 481 come back with?
Oh please give me a break, I know the game because I used to work as an installer and the calling the customer and saying " Im sorry but Im going to be late because Im on a nightmare of a job but I'll be there no matter what the time is " is the oldest fluffer excuse any tech uses on a customer when he doesnt want to go to a job specialy if its a warrantied service call that he isnt going to make any money on.

both channels come back with 13v and 18v,

The receiver see's all birds during the new setup but shows no signal strength in the signal screen, so its either at the dish or the receiver or bbc.

Careful with that.. the tech had enough courtesy to say he was running behind. D* is trying to get that $100 out of the techs pockets now (or will soon) oO Which translates to.. If I'm running late, I will just cancel or reschedule you now verses showing up an hour late.

If he calls and says he's behind and has a new time, and it works for you fine. But if he calls and says he running late with no estimate I'm calling and asking for the missed appointment credit. Sorry but I may have things to do also and sitting around all day for something that may not happen anyway justifies the credit.

Last call I had was a 8 to noon, tech finally showed up at 8PM. Durning that time all I was every told was they should be there shortly.

Oh please give me a break, I know the game because I used to work as an installer and the calling the customer and saying " Im sorry but Im going to be late because Im on a nightmare of a job but I'll be there no matter what the time is " is the oldest fluffer excuse any tech uses on a customer when he doesnt want to go to a job specialy if its a warrantied service call that he isnt going to make any money on.

both channels come back with 13v and 18v,

The receiver see's all birds during the new setup but shows no signal strength in the signal screen, so its either at the dish or the receiver or bbc.

Actually Van,
In my line of work, if I call and tell a sub that I'm running late, it means just that, and that I will be there.
I am required to call all my subs ahead of time regardless .... I'm suppose to call a "Can Be Reached Number" even if it's NOT the sub's place, which if you ask me is stupid, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Jimbo

Last call I had was a 8 to noon, tech finally showed up at 8PM. Durning that time all I was every told was they should be there shortly.

Now THAT, I would not put up with, actually, I've been there too, had one installer call and couldn't make it but they wanted to send another guy out, (first guy was by 4, probably went home, I know how that goes) next guy was going to be out by 7, he was, but didn't have the right equipment, said he would be back the next day .... I stayed home the next day, got to know the dispatcher that day. guy didn't show, but did the next day.
So I wasted a half a day I took off work on the Friday and didn't get installed till Sunday around 4.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)