H20 - Detroit area HD sucks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

megachang

Original poster
May 12, 2006
I have called and called about hte pixelation/audio issues on locals and pay HD channels - DTV finally admitted to it being a problem on their end. What really pisses me off it that when I watch HD at the parent house on Comcast - the picture is awesome - then on DTV it is so hit and miss and never looks great. Is there anything being done about this? I also have my DVR (brand new) power down on it's own and (obviously) skip recording all the programmed items - TIVO is sooooo much better......arrrghhhh - I am close to doing the "ditch the dish" deal and getting HD cable service!

HD locals pretty much blow everywhere, its a sad state of affairs, but many directv customers don't know any better.

I have been having the same type of problems with the boston locals. Now we know why directv was not in a rush to come out with the mpeg 4 dvr.....who wants to record in this garbage quality anyway.

What is DTV's plan to remedy this crap? Is that why they dropped the price of the HD package? I can not believe that my OTA locals blow away my DTV locals and pay channels! My OTA HDPBS channel is friggin incredible. When will DTV get the bugs fixed?

That is why I will keep my 29 local HD and digital OTA channels, versus the 4 on satellite, they are going to give me.

Actually with the H20 you will get both; the DBS retrans of the big 4 (no extra cost) AND all the same OTA you get now. But I can see waiting just to see the next generation of receivers.

Ditto in Detroit here too.

Every week there is pixelization and/or audio sync issues on the MPEG4 locals (Fox/CBS/NBC/ABC).

And you hear the same story from pretty much every city that has the MPEG4 locals, especially from folks in Chicago, DC, Tampa, etc.

I've said it a few times in the past few weeks and will say it again, D* needs to fix this. Its annoying to say the least and what a problem it will mushroom into if its not fixed when all these supposed national HD channels come down the line next year.

megachang said:
What is DTV's plan to remedy this crap? Is that why they dropped the price of the HD package? I can not believe that my OTA locals blow away my DTV locals and pay channels! My OTA HDPBS channel is friggin incredible. When will DTV get the bugs fixed?

Your OTA local HD will always be better than say or cable, NO Compression ....

I've been telling people to use an OTA set up from the beginning.

That said, there is no excuse for the poor signal from D*

Jimbo

I am just hoping that this is not a technological problem that cannot be solved without major equipment changes. I am thinking in terms of the type of modulation used in transmission being so susceptible to interference that we cannot possibly expect to see continuous non-interrupted reception with the setups we have now.

Is delivery of the additional HD information made possible by the encryption method (MPEG4) only, or has there been a change in the modulation used in order to add additional symbols in the downlinked stream? Does anybody know what type of modulation is being used in the downlink signal?

The PHilly DMA is the same with the H20...the audio sync on a few of the channels make the HD unwatchable. I hope they get this corrected, i realy dont want to go back to cable or go with DISH. But, then again, look at all the HD that Dish has and they seem to be adding more. What was the point of D putting all those birds in the air??

theslag said:
The PHilly DMA is the same with the H20...the audio sync on a few of the channels make the HD unwatchable. I hope they get this corrected, i realy dont want to go back to cable or go with DISH. But, then again, look at all the HD that Dish has and they seem to be adding more. What was the point of D putting all those birds in the air??

Keep in mid that "ALL those Birds" are not in the air and in D* possession yet.

D* could have not told anyone about any of the new sats till they were already up and working, but then we would all be screaming that D* was doing nothing and falling behind every other TV service .... Oh wait they already are !!! :eek:

I still believe that once EVERYTHING (all Sats) are up and operational that D* will be doing just fine ....as they said in the beginning.

People don't forget HD is still NEW as is MPEG 4 technology

Patience, for those that can wait, they will be happy in the long run...

Jimbo

Had some issues early on, once the install for the New HD went through. But its been ok, so far (I live in Michigan) though as of late, I am noticing re-booting going on that I am going to pay some close attention to. (But within the past week, I have noticed the pixiling much more as of late!!!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts