H20 Firmware Update ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
Is D* ever going to issue another firmware update to fix the multitude of problems with the H20-600 ( various reboots, numbers and letters chopped off at the top, findby that doesn't work consistently )? The last update was more than 3 months ago and this unit STILL has major problems in several areas. I still can't even scroll down the channel list while editing favorites without it rebooting!

bgsmallwood said:
Is D* ever going to issue another firmware update to fix the multitude of problems with the H20-600 ( various reboots, numbers and letters chopped off at the top, findby that doesn't work consistently )? The last update was more than 3 months ago and this unit STILL has major problems in several areas. I still can't even scroll down the channel list while editing favorites without it rebooting!

The H-10 still reboot occasionally as well also more annoying is the "Service Temperaroly Unavailbe " thay the H-10 is still troubled with and the Find doesn;t work in most cases.

I haven't seen a Update for that since 8/05

Jimbo

bgsmallwood said:

Keep calling support, explain the problem, and tell them you'd prefer that they send a replacement. They dont ALL reboot like that... I've got 2 and don't have that problem.

Our H10 has been nearly flawless...

Jimbos said:
The H-10 still reboot occasionally as well also more annoying is the "Service Temperaroly Unavailbe " thay the H-10 is still troubled with and the Find doesn;t work in most cases.

I haven't seen a Update for that since 8/05

Jimbo

We got our H10 in May of 2005 and it's been nearly flawless! A month or so after we hooked it up there was a software update and it took me about 15 minutes to make the menu changes and make a call to customer tech for a hit to restore my locals. Other than that and approx. 6 self reboots in a year it's been great. Our H10 will be replaced with the new MPEG4 HD DVR when it comes out and I hope it works as good as my H10.

The only issue I have with my H20 is customizing my channel list. I used to be able to add and remove now it stops when it hits channel 10 and the list dissappears in edit mode. Weird.

I think every H20 has the problem of the 1-2 second delay when using the program guide. I don't understand why it does not respond with the same speed as normal menu functions. :confused:

Brewer4 said:
The only issue I have with my H20 is customizing my channel list...
Call D*, tell them your H20 receiver keeps rebooting and ask for a replacement receiver. The H20-100 (RCA mfg) and refurb H20-600 (LG mfg.) receivers do not have the "reboot when editing custom list" bug. They also run a lot cooler than the older H20-600 models.

Its actually not a reboot issue. Just customizing the guide. I actually use my Windows Media Center for guide and changing. If something is HD and I want to watch it in real HD, I flick one button on my Harmony remote and it bypasses the WMCE to view in true HD via DVI. I lose DVR features but I watch games live like this.

It does look like the 600 unit. If it gives me more issues I will take you up on that idea. Hmmm, methinks it might have a reboot issue. ;)

Brewer4 said:
The only issue I have with my H20 is customizing my channel list. I used to be able to add and remove now it stops when it hits channel 10 and the list dissappears in edit mode. Weird.

I had the same issue with editing my favorites list...wouldn't go past channel 10. If I scrolled one channel at a time, it would just stop when it got past 10. But if I did "page down" using the channel button, it would reset.

I forced a download, hoping to get the problem resolved, but there wasn't a new firmware update. So I called DirecTV, and the CSR said to reset the receiver. I explained that I had already done that, and she said to do a reset through the set up screen (I forgot exactly what screen it's on). I did that, and it resolved the problem. The only bad thing about doing it this way is that it resets absolutely everything.

MurphieNB said:
I had the same issue with editing my favorites list...wouldn't go past channel 10. If I scrolled one channel at a time, it would just stop when it got past 10. But if I did "page down" using the channel button, it would reset.

I forced a download, hoping to get the problem resolved, but there wasn't a new firmware update. So I called DirecTV, and the CSR said to reset the receiver. I explained that I had already done that, and she said to do a reset through the set up screen (I forgot exactly what screen it's on). I did that, and it resolved the problem. The only bad thing about doing it this way is that it resets absolutely everything.

You can manually go to the next channel that should be on the list just by entering it. Then the rest of the channels will be there, also.

This is a known issue with the H20-600. You can get around it by punching in a higher channel # when in the favorite channels list. Just start at a high #, like 624 or something and work your way down. It won't crash going down in channel #s when scrolling but will crash when you go from lower to higher channel #s, right around the local OTAs. Hope this helps.

MurphieNB said:

I have learned to not scroll through the favorites when editing but to key a number directly ( I have one local that only broadcasts about 16hrs per day so the H20 regularly drops it from the favorites list when it sees the channel not being on the air ) but there are many other problems with this receiver that I thought D* would have fixed by now with an update.

1. Incredibly slow GUI
2. Inconsistent "Find By"
3. Tops of fonts are chopped off
4. Intermittent problems with rebooting when viewing locals
OTA ( I know they are blaming it on bad PSIP data from the
local broadcasters but I also have a LG4200 STB and
it does NOT demonstrate this behavior when viewing the
very same channel at the same time period. )

It has been 4 months since we got the last firmware update and I just thought that D* would be a little bit more diligent about addressing these known problems with the H20-600, thats all.

ArtWIS said:
We got our H10 in May of 2005 and it's been nearly flawless! A month or so after we hooked it up there was a software update and it took me about 15 minutes to make the menu changes and make a call to customer tech for a hit to restore my locals. Other than that and approx. 6 self reboots in a year it's been great. Our H10 will be replaced with the new MPEG4 HD DVR when it comes out and I hope it works as good as my H10.

Hopefully D* will offer us with HD D* equipment (non DVR) a decent deal to upgrade.
That is what I am waiting to hear, of course, I don't expect to hear anything till they come out.

Jimbo

raoul5788 said:
You can manually go to the next channel that should be on the list just by entering it. Then the rest of the channels will be there, also.

Didn't realize you could key in a channel on that screen. It would have been nice if the CSR had told me that...it would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)