H20 for OTA

rdel

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 26, 2005
Is anyone using a direct tv model H20 for their OTA digital? I'm looking at getting the unit from a local store and using it to pickup OTA digital signals. Do I have to have the unit activated? Or can I use it straight out of the box for my OTA locals?
Thanks Guys
rdel:)

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Feb 11, 2006
Not sure about the activation part but it does have a MUCH better HD OTA tuner than any of the other 5 I have. It gets stations clear the others cant even tune in to.

squirrelguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 7, 2006
got mine through Direct T.V. They do not sell them out right anymore. They lease them to you. To answer your question on performance. I'm extremely satisfied with mine. Only experienced Picture break up once or twice since I've had it, on locals that are 35 to 40 miles away from me, and that was in extreme weather conditions.

code4code5

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 15, 2005
Aurora, CO
The H20 does need service activation from D* to function at all. The H10 does not. If you have no interest in MPEG4, see if you can get your hands on one of those. I have one sitting in my entertainment center, dark, just in case for the future.

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Feb 11, 2006
The H10 has a HORRIBLE OTA tuner, mine gets 1/2 the channels the H20 gets. MY TVs tuner does better than the H10. It is crap, dont waste your money!!!

bamakid

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 3, 2006
rdel said:
Is anyone using a direct tv model H20 for their OTA digital? I'm looking at getting the unit from a local store and using it to pickup OTA digital signals. Do I have to have the unit activated? Or can I use it straight out of the box for my OTA locals?
Thanks Guys
rdel:)

I have a H20 for several months now and the OTA for my local channels produces better quality pix to my Mits* 55" HD TV than direct from the antenna. I'm very pleased with its functions and quality.

:hatsoff:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)