H20 Warranty Question - What D* is offering

Status
Please reply by conversation.

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
My parents have an H20, purchased last Christmas, that is acting up. The symptom is occasional (daily) freeze-up, followed by rebooting, and a complete resetting of their custom (Family) channel listings. Something is obviously wrong, and D* agrees.

Though the unit is only 7 months old, and the user's manual states it has a 1 yr warranty, D* is only offering to substitute a leased unit. They want my parents to pay $20 S/H for it, but they will not incur any additional monthly "lease" fee.

Help! Should they pursue the warranty terms? With whom? What's the deal with leasing from D*? Are they being offered a decent deal? (I'm a long term E* customer, so plead ignorance!)

Last edited:
theres 2 things here

1 if they purchased the unit from a retailer, then D* will send them a new unit and they will have to commit to a 2 year contract (new contract)

2 if the unit came from D* as part of an upgrade, then they will send out a refurb and the 2 year contract will no longer exist.

On service calls for H20's i have experienced both scenarios.

as far as the warranty info and pursuing, no one knows and no one ever persues it because D* will do whatever so they don't have to, it probably states something to the ffect in the contract or warranty information that if the unit fails within 90 days D* can "at it's discretion" choose to replace the unit with one of like value or performance. i was also gonna say the last time i heard it was 90 warranty, thats why you purchase to Protection plan, covers everything.

Last edited:
Mine is doing the same thing, it did it the last 2 nights. I think DTV is doing some sort of upgrade to software.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)