H21-100 Dolby Digital issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Logic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Norwalk, CA
This originally started out as an issue with my Playstation 3's audio output. It can only output Dolby Digital/DTS thru its HDMI or Optical Outs, and not both at the same time. So everytime i wanted to watch something at night, and not disturb others in the house, i'd have to change the output settings every time.

I then learned by experimentation that I could use my TV's optical out as a passthru for my PS3's digital out and obtain the same DTS & Dolby Digital signals on my home theater receiver.

A short time later, I wanted to watch a movie with my home theater on and realized that i wasn't obtaining the DD feed from my H21-100. the receiver displayed "PCM" and output Pro Logic IIx instead of "Dolby Digital". I then ran a line straight to the receiver and was able to get it again.

So, my question is... is there a flaw that the HDMI output doesn't output DD and that the optical out is only way to get DD? I've checked just about every system menu and my settings seem to be correct.

this is the way it was setup:
H21-100 & PS3 -> TV by HDMI -> Stereo thru optical

If I understand the receivers correctly Pro-logic is outputted on everything but the Digital Out (orange) and Optical which are 5.1, I could be wrong though, but that is what happens with my setup between my Xbox360 and HDDVD, I have to have D* on Optical with my surround and HDMI with other components.

I can get DD via Toslink or HDMI, maybe we need a bit more detail about what the OP is trying to do and the units involved.

simply put i've connected my PS3 & H21 to my TV thru HDMI. From my TV i've used the optical out to my receiver and the only DD signal i get is from my PS3 but not the H21. If i were to connect my H21 directly to my receiver, i get DD but not when i try to pass thru my TV with HDMI.

Sounds really odd & confusing to me what you are trying to do. Maybe only 1 port is true pass-through. What is the make and models of the TV and A/V units? Why not connect all sources to the A/V receiver and use the TV as a video display only? I guess I don't understand how a TV at an acceptable set listening volume is that much "quieter" that an A/V unit set to the same.

simply put i've connected my PS3 & H21 to my TV thru HDMI. From my TV i've used the optical out to my receiver and the only DD signal i get is from my PS3 but not the H21. If i were to connect my H21 directly to my receiver, i get DD but not when i try to pass thru my TV with HDMI.

Not sure what TV you have but my Panny won't pass anything HDMI to it's optical out except for 2 channel PCM.

Originally I thought there was a problem, then realized it's designed that way.

That's one reason why I let the receiver handle all the audio via optical from all my devices.

Sounds really odd & confusing to me what you are trying to do. Maybe only 1 port is true pass-through. What is the make and models of the TV and A/V units? Why not connect all sources to the A/V receiver and use the TV as a video display only? I guess I don't understand how a TV at an acceptable set listening volume is that much "quieter" that an A/V unit set to the same.

Well sometimes i dont want the surround on at night because my subwoofer's pretty noticable thru-out the house. But i think you could be right with the port. I think that HDMI port has 2 RCA connectors on it, which could be holding it back.

Almost all TVs don't pass DD from the optical out when the signal is coming to the TV via HDMI - you will only get PCM stereo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nfl sunday ticket

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)