H24, HR24 signal loss issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tech27

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I installed a three room DTV system a few weeks ago and the customer is having some weird signal loss issues. The system consists of a SWM 5 slimline dish, HR24, H24, and a D12 (of which was not hooked up till yesterday due to it being a Christmas present). The customer contacted me about 3 or 4 days after her install to say that her H24 did not have programming and was telling her to contact DTV to purchase channels. I had her check the signal and when she went back to the channel she was on the programming came back up. Then a few more days go by and she's having the same problem. At first she says it's sfss and then it goes to channel not purchased. Because of scheduling issues with the holidays we set a service appt for Dec 27. I spoke with her again on the 26th and she said that now the HR24 is having the same problems at the same time and occasionally the receivers will pixilate as well. I went back out on the 27th and of course nothing was screwing up while I was there. I figured since the problem started with one rec and then eventually went to both ( that were hooked up at the time) it was probably a splitter. Just to be safe I went ahead and changed out the splitter, 21v pwr supply and the lnb. Today she called me back again with the same problem again just on the H24. Could this be a bad piece of cable between the splitter and lnb or a bad ground block? I did use an existing line from the ground block to the splitter. Anyone seen this type of issue before with a swm or mrv system? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going back out tomorrow afternoon to try to resolve this issue. The power supply is on the H24 and the lines split from that room to the other two rooms (if it helps). And also the splitter is a 4way swm with one port left empty.

I installed a three room DTV system a few weeks ago and the customer is having some weird signal loss issues. The system consists of a SWM 5 slimline dish, HR24, H24, and a D12 (of which was not hooked up till yesterday due to it being a Christmas present). The customer contacted me about 3 or 4 days after her install to say that her H24 did not have programming and was telling her to contact DTV to purchase channels. I had her check the signal and when she went back to the channel she was on the programming came back up. Then a few more days go by and she's having the same problem. At first she says it's sfss and then it goes to channel not purchased. Because of scheduling issues with the holidays we set a service appt for Dec 27. I spoke with her again on the 26th and she said that now the HR24 is having the same problems at the same time and occasionally the receivers will pixilate as well. I went back out on the 27th and of course nothing was screwing up while I was there. I figured since the problem started with one rec and then eventually went to both ( that were hooked up at the time) it was probably a splitter. Just to be safe I went ahead and changed out the splitter, 21v pwr supply and the lnb. Today she called me back again with the same problem again just on the H24. Could this be a bad piece of cable between the splitter and lnb or a bad ground block? I did use an existing line from the ground block to the splitter. Anyone seen this type of issue before with a swm or mrv system? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going back out tomorrow afternoon to try to resolve this issue. The power supply is on the H24 and the lines split from that room to the other two rooms (if it helps). And also the splitter is a 4way swm with one port left empty.

You've eliminated everything other than the coax/connectors .... it's likely NOT the recvrs as both are doing the same thing.
Unless by some chance, the item(s) you replaced already went bad.

This sounds intermittent, so it's the hardest ones to work with.
Keep us updated when you figure it out ....

Are there ANY splitters in the system that your not seeing (in walls or attic)

No unseen splitters. The cable run from swm splitter is exterior so I've gone through that scenario already. I guess when I go out today I'm going to replace everything between the splitter and lnb (cable, connectors, and ground block)

Terminator cap on the unused port of the splitter? Also try replacing that last line you mentioned and perhaps the ground block too. How long is the total cable run, dish to each receiver, you want to try and stay under 100'.

A fellow tech had a similar situation a while back. Several return trips replacing parts looking for the weak link. Was advised by an old timer to disconnect from house ground- he had seen a case where some kind of bleed was entering system from house common. When my bud disconnected from house ground (I know)the problem stopped. Pretty much can't afford to change just one thing per trip which would show the weak link...makes for too many trips and an unhappy customer. When you change several parts at a time you don't have the advantage of knowing which caused problem. One failing receiver can cause probs with others. Cable route from dish too close to house power, a bad ballast in a flourescent light fixture..weird things can cause interference...I had a bad length of coax out of the box running from dish to switch drive me crazy on a 4 room SWM install- receivers A & B would work/C and D would not...then that would reverse. I'm not going to confess how long it took me to figure that one out. Need to get lucky and be there when system failing so you could elimate one link at a time. Bypass gr. blk with a barrel-disconnect ground-remove from system receiver that 1st failed-move P. Ins to another room and rewire SWM splitter. If house is prewired with RG-59 it may not handle that 21 volt push from P.I. Use circuit tester to check outlets that receivers are plugged into. Electricians make mistakes. An outlet with polarity reversed can cause major probs. I learned early not to say "It can't be that" -because it can!! Good luck...been there.

Unfortunately, it could be any number of things since SWM and especially MRV is so fickle.
You have replaced the LNB, splitter, power supply, so we know it is not that.
If there is a ground block between the splitter and LNB, remove that and ground directly to the splitter as the current ones are approved for grounding.

Is it possible for the ground to cause this problem? Absolutely.
However, as far as clipping the ground completely, I would do that only as a last resort.
Personally, I feel grounding is a hoax and some markets no longer do it and rumor is others will follow.
Dunno if it is true, but we can only hope it is (some will disagree, I am sure) Until then however, you are required to do it and if you don't you can be held liable for loss of equipment due to surges. Grounding to code is the only way to protect yourself.

Had a service call with similiar prob that turned out to be the inserter was hooked up to the none power pass port. Even though I corrected the problem the receiver that was inline with the inserter was toast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)