H3 progress bar question

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I took this picture at 8:21. Explain this progress bar:

5970cc1d4f154.jpg

This is clearly a 1 hour show airing 7-8 and the timer is not set for an extra 30 minutes.
1) What is 8:14? It is not the current time or the time it would be at in the show. I do not see what 8:14 has to do with anything.
2) What is 8:30? Why is that even displayed on a show that is only set to record an extra 2 minutes or 8:02
3) What is 5m45s even if you add that to the 8:14 in the progress bar it is only 8:19 and 45 second. The clock in the hopper says it is 8:21

This progress bar stinks to me. What was wrong with the progress bar on the HWS it made complete sense. Talk about fixing something that was not broke,WOW!

I took this picture at 8:21. Explain this progress bar:

5970cc1d4f154.jpg

This is clearly a 1 hour show airing 7-8 and the timer is not set for an extra 30 minutes.
1) What is 8:14? It is not the current time or the time it would be at in the show. I do not see what 8:14 has to do with anything.
2) What is 8:30? Why is that even displayed on a show that is only set to record an extra 2 minutes or 8:02
3) What is 5m45s even if you add that to the 8:14 in the progress bar it is only 8:19 and 45 second. The clock in the hopper says it is 8:21

This progress bar stinks to me. What was wrong with the progress bar on the HWS it made complete sense. Talk about fixing something that was not broke,WOW!

If you look at the pause time it shows you are 5 min and 45 seconds behind live TV of 8:21 per your post. See my reply to #3 to see if it makes a little more sense with seconds involved.

I'm going to assume that since the Hopper's guide is set to a minimum of 30 minute chunks of time that if you had this timer set for 2 minutes past 8:00 that the time bar simply displays the next time chunk of 30 minutes that the timer tapped into as it can't display it in any less time increments?? Never really paid much attention to that, but a good question.

From my experience, you have to remember that the time bar shows hours:minutes, but there are seconds involved as well. I often forget that part. So, your pause at 8:14 is probably more like 08:14:15. There are maybe 15 seconds or so we don't see. If you add the 00:05:45 to that you get 08:20:00. Now, I can't explain why your time was 8:21 and not 8:20! Unless the Hopper did some rounding up somewhere. But at least it gets you closer to the 8:21 time.

Forgot that the new time bar when paused always shows 90 minutes. Still, the math seems off a little...unless they checked the time a short while after this and the time really was 8:20 when they took the screen capture. But if it's only a minute then it's not anything to worry over.