H3 volume variations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jasonh1965

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
Salem, IN
Has anyone else noticed crazy volume variations lately on the H3? I have my H3 running as a passthrough my Xbox One, so I'm trying to narrow down the issue to my TV, H3, or XB1.
It's been just lately that the volume will seem to go up and down on it's own a lot. I just disabled the volume leveling option in the settings so I'm hoping that might be the cause of it.

IF you disabled the level volume option then yes, the sound will fluctuate depending on what channels you are on. Sd will be louder than HD , etc.

With "Audio Leveling" on, with my HwS, commercials, especially DISH commercials which are blaring, are louder still.

That's funny, HD is louder than SD on mine...
My hd channels from ota and even DISH are in dolby digital 5.1 on most of them. HBO is one of the lowest and I have to turn it way up to hear it. My SD channels from ota and even DISH sd are always pcm and louder. I don't keep the audio leveled so I can hear movies and explosions loud like they were intended.

I turned on the leveling just so the damn commercials will be the same level with the shows. I thought that the commercials couldn't be louder than the programs guess I was wrong.............

My hd channels from ota and even DISH are in dolby digital 5.1 on most of them. HBO is one of the lowest and I have to turn it way up to hear it. My SD channels from ota and even DISH sd are always pcm and louder. I don't keep the audio leveled so I can hear movies and explosions loud like they were intended.

I'm talking about satellite HD/SD. My sound is based on the TV's stereo RCA out to Bose Cinemate. It's pure Dish Network Hopper3 to the TV.

I'm talking about satellite HD/SD. My sound is based on the TV's stereo RCA out to Bose Cinemate. It's pure Dish Network Hopper3 to the TV.
Well that is a different set up than I have ,so maybe it would reverse the effect of whether the hd is lounder than the sd on your setup. My set up is the Hopper to my Yamaha A/V receiver via hdmi only. I quit using a separate cable for sound , so I only use hdmi . This also corrects any lip sync issues too. I guess as usual your mileage will vary.

IF you disabled the level volume option then yes, the sound will fluctuate depending on what channels you are on. Sd will be louder than HD , etc.
I actually disabled the leveling because of the fluctuations. My thought was maybe something in it was overcorrecting.

I actually disabled the leveling because of the fluctuations. My thought was maybe something in it was overcorrecting.
Maybe the level audio feature has never worked like it should to begin with. I only used it for a short while, till I realized that it muted my back ground sounds and other 5.1 sounds I needed for movies to sound great. The commercials still sounded loud to me as well , and that was why I turned on the feature in the first place.

I am sorry for going in another direction, i have an xboxone using passthrough,...have you had any issues with lost tv signal issue? it happens when i turn on first thing after being off over night.
so far i have not ad any issues with sound variations...thanks for your input

SD louder than HD Is across all dish boxes. I had it with ViP and Hopper and HWS. Of course DD 5.1 will have greater dynamic range and and quieter dialogue and then big boom for the SFX. SD has a more compressed audio. However I agree the dynamic range of the audio between SD and HD is significant. What is the experience of those on DirecTV or cable regarding audio between SD and HD? And I agree the audio leveling feature just creates more audio problems than it solves. And I will say the commercials that dish drops in are by far the loudest and most disturbing of any content. It drives me crazy. I can't stand it. I often have to mute it or just skip through it as quickly as possible to avoid damaging my ears.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
SD louder than HD Is across all dish boxes. I had it with ViP and Hopper and HWS...

Not so to the TV stereo out. HD is louder than SD and lately Dish has been delivering commercials at lower volume than programming. As I mentioned before, I'm using mini-RCA stereo out to Bose Cinemate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts