Had BUD and just got Dish Network, but would like to use BUD,too

farmwife1962

Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Hi,

First off, I know very little about how all this stuff works, but here goes my question. We've had a big dish for many years but since we couldn't get ESPN anymore, decided to get a Dish Network system (son is diehard football fan). I was not here at first when the installer came and by the time I got here, he pretty much had the system installed and tried to get it so we could use our old dish, too. In the end, he said we'd need a $70.00 "modulater" plus labor to install, since our old TV did not have enough video inputs. My question, (remember I'm pretty illiterate about this stuff), is this the only way to go? Couldn't we set it up for DishNetwork to use channel 3 and my dish to use channel 4? Either way, how difficult would this be for a total novice to: 1) set it up for my dish to come in on channel 4 OR 2) hook up a modulater? What are your recommendations for choice of a modulater, if that's what I really need to do? Thank you for any help at all... if worse comes to worse, I guess I'm done watching anything on the BUD.

farmwife1962:confused:

Last edited:
What kind of inputs does the tv have? The Dishnet boxes used to have audio/video cables + the rf (ch3 or 4) cable outputs, don't know what they got these days. If your tv doesn't have a spare set of input jacks, you could use the rf input if its available. BUD rec should have an rf output jack. Get a vcr cable and hook the BUD up that way. IF the tv only has one rf input and no video jacks at all,
get a 4dollar tv/game switch (cheap modulator switch) at wallyworld or radio shack and run Dish output and Bud output to the switch, then the line from the switch output to the tv input.
Nothing too complicated.

Thank you for trying to help me... I'll check out these options. :)

What kind of inputs does the tv have? The Dishnet boxes used to have audio/video cables + the rf (ch3 or 4) cable outputs, don't know what they got these days. If your tv doesn't have a spare set of input jacks, you could use the rf input if its available. BUD rec should have an rf output jack. Get a vcr cable and hook the BUD up that way. IF the tv only has one rf input and no video jacks at all,
get a 4dollar tv/game switch (cheap modulator switch) at wallyworld or radio shack and run Dish output and Bud output to the switch, then the line from the switch output to the tv input.
Nothing too complicated.

On the back of the dish network receiver there is a cable/antenna input, take the cable output from the bud receiver and run it to this port on the dish receiver.

When you want to watch the older system turn on that receiver and take the dish network remote and hit the button upper left wich should say something like video/input, its the same thing as the tv/vcr button on your vcr's remote, what it does is change the source that your watching on the dish network receiver from it to the other source wich is your older bud system. You might be able to just turn off the dish receiver and watch the bud through it as well, for the first method just reverse it and you will get back to dish. Another method thats way more cheaper than what the installer offered is to go to radio shack or walmart and get an A/B coax splitter and a 6ft rg-6 coax jumper, hook the coax leads from both receivers to the switch and the new one from the switch to the tv and all you have to do is press the A or B for the receiver you want to watch.

Not a splitter, an A/B switch. I know that's what you meant, but just clarifying as it's not what you said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)