Had my dish moved, then the tech hauls in a Polk soundbar.

I offered my installer a tip, but he refused. He said it was against policy, and he didn't want to lose his job. Also, I think he felt bad about the whole $50 upgrade to H3 fee Dish tried to charge me when he tried to switch me to a Wireless Joey. What should have been $50 up-charge turned into a $100 charge that no one could explain. I would have bought three 40.0 Remotes from him if he had any on the truck, but alas, he did not.

One of the reasons I left was this one - of course one of many.
I wasn't a salesman..if I was I surely wouldn't have been doing dish installs and would be at some car dealership.
You can't force metrics on these things cause not everyone buys that over priced junk.
You wasted time trying to pitch it when you weren't paid by the hour you were paid by the job. Every minute counted to get to the next appointment so you could get home at a decent time.
They didn't care nor will they ever.
I've got a upgrade coming soon... I feel for the guy coming for that aspect but otherwise he should enjoy a nice clean upgrade with all new RG6 solid copper runs all labeled and ready to go just needing the LNB swapped, node and boxes swapped.
If only all mine were like that but then you finish early making a good days pay and they just dropped more on ya cause they kept leaving the "UPGRADE WINDOW" open on new calls..what a stupid stupid company.

Ohh I took a ton of tips.. even a few as high as $100 just to get a out of the norm job done that was WAYYY out side of code but otherwise they were turned down several times.
I never trusted the customer to stay quiet about it but didn't care either...hardly nobody was going around checking anything around here at the time.
I once ran cable off a telephone pole way up in a wooded right away from a dish mounted on a board in the air over the a guys house.. it was the ONLY way to work and the cable to get laid without damage.
Cable co does it all the time so who cares.

Reactions: 31cold
I once ran cable off a telephone pole way up in a wooded right away from a dish mounted on a board in the air over the a guys house.. it was the ONLY way to work and the cable to get laid without damage.
The difference is that the cable company is a member a the Joint Pole Association and has a legal right to attach because they have paid for it. You, and your customer, do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYDutch and HipKat
The difference is that the cable company is a member a the Joint Pole Association and has a legal right to attach because they have paid for it. You, and you customer, do not.

Cableco’s also get REALLY angry when Dish techs get into their MDU’s. I lived in an apartment complex once and had the Time Warner guy scheduled to install internet and the Dish guy scheduled to install TV on the same day. The cable guy threw an enormous hissy fit because Dish wanted to use “their wiring.”

He claimed that since TWC wired the building (which may or may not have been true), they “owned” the wiring and even though the MDU box was unlocked, the Dish guy could go to hell and on and on. It was awful.

I remember him writing “DISH IN MDU!!!!” in giant letters on the internet work order.

Yea I've had the sound bar pitch. The other day it was the power strip one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using the SatelliteGuys app!
The Surge protectors are actually pretty decent. Top of the line with backup power?? oh, heck no, but they're decent.

Here's the thing. No one else does this stuff. If more techs were just knowledgeable and up front with customers, sales come pretty easy. I mean, face it, TV speakers suck. Power strips are garbage. The remote covers are pretty nice. No one else does wall mounts and the mounts are quality. Is some of it over priced? Yep, but the convenience is right there in the tech's van. Personally, I don't try to sell every customer. I look for opportunities. Dog slobber and finger prints all over the screen? Screen cleaner. Half burnt out power strips or I need more outlets? Surge protector. New Samsung 4K TV but no AV equipment? Sound bar. I don't press, I just tell you what I have, the specs and ask once. If you say no, cool. If you say yes, cool. I avg about 40 bucks per job in sales.

And tips?? I call it lunch money :)

I wasn't a salesman..if I was I surely wouldn't have been doing dish installs and would be at some car dealership.
You can't force metrics on these things cause not everyone buys that over priced junk.
You wasted time trying to pitch it when you weren't paid by the hour you were paid by the job. Every minute counted to get to the next appointment so you could get home at a decent time.
I've got a upgrade coming soon... I feel for the guy coming for that aspect but otherwise he should enjoy a nice clean upgrade with all new RG6 solid copper runs all labeled and ready to go just needing the LNB swapped, node and boxes swapped.
If only all mine were like that but then you finish early making a good days pay and they just dropped more on ya cause they kept leaving the "UPGRADE WINDOW" open on new calls..what a stupid stupid company.

Ohh I took a ton of tips.. even a few as high as $100 just to get a out of the norm job done that was WAYYY out side of code but otherwise they were turned down several times.
I never trusted the customer to stay quiet about it but didn't care either...hardly nobody was going around checking anything around here at the time.
"I never trusted the customer to stay quiet about it but didn't care either."
How would anyone prove it?
Customer calls says your tech took a tip, and the tech says I don't know what you're talking about. Then what lol

Reactions: Pere845
Guess it depends upon what they think of the tech. i.e.- how much he brings in, how valuable he is.

Why would a custy ever volunteer tip info?

I remember getting things done also. Used to walk with some extra things like step bits, etc. If I could conceive a way to get it done, it got done.

Sent from my LG-H932 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Guess it depends upon what they think of the tech. i.e.- how much he brings in, how valuable he is.

Why would a custy ever volunteer tip info?
I know a story of a tech that did a shoddy cabling guy, but the customer never went out to look at the work he did until after the tech left. He called Dish to get a truck roll to redo the cabling, mentioned he even tipped the tech and boom! Ever heard the statement the customer is always right?

"I never trusted the customer to stay quiet about it but didn't care either."
How would anyone prove it?
Customer calls says your tech took a tip, and the tech says I don't know what you're talking about. Then what lol
One customer comment can slide.
Multiple different customer comments about the same tech reveals a pattern.
That's when they believe customers over tech.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)