Had my dish moved, then the tech hauls in a Polk soundbar.

Right! There's no WAY I'd try to sell a sound bar/system to someone that has a nice Onkyo, Denon, et al receiver and is already all setup. Now if you have some old Analogue iLive or something, we'll talk lol

Fortunately for me, I used to sell Home Improvements back in the day so I'm comfortable talking to people anyway, creating rapport as soon as they open the door and I try to have as much product knowledge as I can, but you are correct, many techs are not salesmen, aren't even socially adept but are under immense pressure to sell. SO my point is don't take it out on the tech, like you said, he probably isn't comfortable offering things and doesn't even want to do it anyway
I am a tech and you are COMPLETELY right! When I signed up for this I didn’t know trying to sell people soundbars was going to be a major focus of my job and I only like doing it when I think they’ll be interested.

Reactions: charlesrshell
IMG_0276.jpeg

.....how's about dis koiby vac-a-cuum cleana' while we's at it for a really good deal?
Anyone remember that episode of "Taxi" where Jim was selling vacuum cleaners door to door? Doing a demo he completely destroys the customers living room-dumping ash trays and trash cans on the floor.He goes to get the vacuum cleaner and remembers"Oh yeah-I switched to selling encyclopedias!" Cue audience laughing and credits roll.

I had one try to sell me a soundbar, after I pointed out my Klipsch 7.1 setup. He hadn’t a clue that it was far superior to his stuff.
I had a Dish installer in a while back. He took a look at my sound system, smiled, and said something like I guess you have no need of a sound bar. I have my 75" TV standing on side by side cabinets and he mentioned that they could hang it on my wall. I smiled and said it's fine just like it is. :)

I am a tech and you are COMPLETELY right! When I signed up for this I didn’t know trying to sell people soundbars was going to be a major focus of my job and I only like doing it when I think they’ll be interested.
That's not right either. You should Demo a soundbar/system for anyone that's using TV speakers because you never know if they'll buy it. Many won't but you'll never sell if you don't offer and you know sales is where it's at. And I contradicted myself above because I did bring it up even if they had other soundbars, but not if they had good AVR's. I sold a Cinema system to a guy that had a Sonos system. Just because I brought it up. The Sonos is in my living room now, actually.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Spoken like a true supervisor. :shh
With a constant demand for meting numbers coming down from the top, but really. I was VERY successful with Polk AUdio and the secret is demo it and let the customer decide.
Older people who have their TV's on 99 - it's a must for the OTHER person who has good hearing and is ready for a divorce and the neighbors that are sick of listening to Fox News

That's not right either. You should Demo a soundbar/system for anyone that's using TV speakers because you never know if they'll buy it. Many won't but you'll never sell if you don't offer and you know sales is where it's at. And I contradicted myself above because I did bring it up even if they had other soundbars, but not if they had good AVR's. I sold a Cinema system to a guy that had a Sonos system. Just because I brought it up. The Sonos is in my living room now, actually.
I had a guy a few years ago with massive full range klipsch speakers and nice av receiver. Sounded good and even better than our polk system but his wife hated how much space it took up. Sold him full polk system and he gave me his entire sound system for free and I currently still use it at my house

I had a guy a few years ago with massive full range klipsch speakers and nice av receiver. Sounded good and even better than our polk system but his wife hated how much space it took up. Sold him full polk system and he gave me his entire sound system for free and I currently still use it at my house
It's crazy, I tell my team all the time, do NOT be afraid to talk about it, even if they have something now. I've replaced or moved to a different room a lot of LG's, Vizios, Samsungs, etc just because of one line: "Too bad you have that Soundbar, I would have shown you what we have." Which typically gets a reply like "What do you have?"

It's crazy. Lot's don't know and many don't care. My neighbors have a ~65 incher on the wall and sit over 10 feet away in the recliners.
I notice it's always blasting just to hear it. I dug out an old set of Logitech pc speakers and a sub and ran it over, plugged it in to the 1/8" jack. They love it. They're not complicated. But the difference in sound is phenomenal compared to the built in's. How much? Nothing. But I got dinner and maybe a few too many beers on the back porch.

A lot of people want better sound, but just dont have the room for it, or heaven forbid, something comes loose and they have to figure out WHICH wire is loose and where it goes, and....etc. Sometimes, simpler is better for those who aren't wanting to "mess with it".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts