Had Trouble with Whole Home DVR Install, need info plz help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
On Wenesday we ordered the Whole Home DVR service for are house. They said it would cost $278 to hookup w/ a Interent Connection Kit. We currently have a HR24, HR20, and three R22's. Im not sure which Satelite I have but the system setup says 101, 99C, 99S, 103S, 103CA, & 103CB. We got DirecTV setup in May 2009.

They told us they could come on Friday between 8am-12pm. We said do we need anything new to setup the Whole Home. The lady said the installer would bring everything we need.

On Friday, We waited and waited at 1pm DirecTV called and said they would be their between the next 3 & 3 1/2 hours. We waited and waited at 4pm the installer called and said he is going to go get the stuff we need and he would be their in one hour. We waited and 1 hour & 45 minutes later the DirecTV van showed up at 5:45pm.

When he came in he said he was not going to be able to do it. Because he don't have the correct Dish or multiswitch to get Whole Home throughout the house. He said we need DirecTV's newest dish that came out last year called SWM 16. He said it would cost us $300 more to get it switched. He said if you get it through DirecTV it would cost us a arm & a leg. So he could get it for us for $100. We rather get it through DirecTV so we said we would ask them.

He told us we need to call DirecTV and cancel the appoitment for today. He called his boss and said that we can't get it because we don't have the correct Dish or multiswitch. He told us when DirecTV calls we have to tell them we don't want the Whole Home and for us to call DirecTV another day to say we want it and he would tell us exactly what we need. He said because we were with DirecTV for 2 years we would not have to pay for the new stuff.

He wrote on peice of paper that we need
"1 SWM6X16
1 SWM Dish
4 Receiver DECA
Broadband DECA"

Were going to call DirecTV today to order Whole Home DVR service again and tell them what we need.

Will it really cost us $300 more to get the equitment we need for the Whole Home? Will the R22's get HD after the Whole Home is setup? Anything else we have to say to DirecTV when we call? Plz help

It doesn't sound like a scam to me. He probably works for a local area store and they can install for their own prices, not going through Directv, and getting a portion of the install. I had an installer fish a line and add a faceplate for $60 or there abouts, and I made the check out to the local store's name.

Last edited:
No that installer is pulling some crap.

You will need the SWM16 switch with power supply and 2 SWM 8way splitters. The dish is going to be the same one you already have, there is no need to change it.

You will need a receiver DECA for every receiver besides the HR24. Then you will need your BB DECA to connect to the internet.

What I think really happen is that the installer was running really late. Directv did not have the SWM16 switch on the work order, and the installer did not have any. Getting you to call and cancel, keeps him from getting into trouble for not getting the job done.

It should only cost you the $199 for the MRV upgrade + the internet connection kit. There should be no other charge.

Please call us and file a complaint the SWM 16 is covered on the install for the mrv. It was probably on the work order and installer did not bring it or thought he would get some money out of you.

Ok called DirecTV today and told them. They are happy we did not pay the Tech extra and said they noted to the office who sends out the techs in our area what happened. We have a new appoitment for Tuesday and they said we won't get the same tech.

The agent we talked to today said that the R22's are unable to use the Whole Home DVR. I thought with the HR24 & HR20 they become HD able and are able to be used with the Whole Home DVR?

They can r22 work just fine for mrv just our system does not recongize that fact because in the system r22 are considered sd receivers. the whole hd with r22 bit is 100% unsupported if it works great if not we are not going ot go out of our way to make it work .

Please call us and file a complaint the SWM 16 is covered on the install for the mrv. It was probably on the work order and installer did not bring it or thought he would get some money out of you.

Stone,

Don't mean to say you are wrong or anything like that. The thing is every single time I have had an MRV upgrade that was going to need a SWM16, it was not on the work order. I have had them with 6x8 switches, and other crazy equipment configurations. Not saying they all are like that, but every one I have seen did not have the right stuff on it. Hate to say it, but I would say atleast 40% of the work orders I receiver are either wrong or missing needed equipment.

Had one Friday...an MRV/Cinema Plus upgrade swapping out an R15 for an HR24.....3 existing HR24s and that R15 on the account. SWM 16 necessary (as best we can figure) for 9th line/tuner. We as a group are assuming the BB deca is to be considered a tuner. DTV added SWM 16 to w/order no sweat, but it was not correct from the start. Did not have SWM 16 on truck as we get them on an as needed basis from Mastec warehouse.

Stone,

Don't mean to say you are wrong or anything like that. The thing is every single time I have had an MRV upgrade that was going to need a SWM16, it was not on the work order. I have had them with 6x8 switches, and other crazy equipment configurations. Not saying they all are like that, but every one I have seen did not have the right stuff on it. Hate to say it, but I would say atleast 40% of the work orders I receiver are either wrong or missing needed equipment.
I don't want to sound mean either , But why do you have Dish Network equipment in your signature, but obviously sound like you work for Directv?

Just wondering.

Called DirecTV again and this time got a guy who sounded like he was from Texas. He was awesome! He knew every thing right away he said of course the R22's work on the Whole Home DVR he put a note for the tech to bring the 4 DECAs. He said the R22 will be able to get HD after Whole Home is activated.

Can't wait! :)

Stone,

Maybe because I sat there dealt with escalations like these about once a month and there is a swm16 switch listed there on the list. And techs dont always have them or simply dont have enough so instead of being honest with the customer I seen techs auction it off to the highest bidder.

They tried it with me and for what ever reason mastec did not see that my account type on the work order was an employee account they regretted that day.

Bottom line is the tech did wrong , if for some reason the customer did not have the right type of switch then there always Order modification group. There always regualr support that can help out not tell the customer well we will charge him 300 and that he can get one for him for 100 he knows what should be there if it not.

Techs get crapped on plain and simple truth I am not blind to there plight but when they cross the line like that, it is then I take offense to them and frankly they deserve what ever punishment they get .

I don't want to sound mean either , But why do you have Dish Network equipment in your signature, but obviously sound like you work for Directv?

Just wondering.

I install both systems. I have had Dish for years, and have no plans of changing. Plus I don't have a LOS for Directv.

Maybe because I sat there dealt with escalations like these about once a month and there is a swm16 switch listed there on the list. And techs dont always have them or simply dont have enough so instead of being honest with the customer I seen techs auction it off to the highest bidder.

They tried it with me and for what ever reason mastec did not see that my account type on the work order was an employee account they regretted that day.

Bottom line is the tech did wrong , if for some reason the customer did not have the right type of switch then there always Order modification group. There always regualr support that can help out not tell the customer well we will charge him 300 and that he can get one for him for 100 he knows what should be there if it not.

Techs get crapped on plain and simple truth I am not blind to there plight but when they cross the line like that, it is then I take offense to them and frankly they deserve what ever punishment they get .

Again...I did not want it to sound like I was saying you were wrong...far from it.

I was just saying that alot of the time the work orders are not built correctly.

I also was the first one to say that tech was pulling some crap.

All he had to do was call OMG tell them he did not have the needed equipment (if he did not have it) and they would have setup a new date. As we all know he was trying to get over on the customer.

Again...I did not want it to sound like I was saying you were wrong...far from it.

I was just saying that alot of the time the work orders are not built correctly.

I also was the first one to say that tech was pulling some crap.

All he had to do was call OMG tell them he did not have the needed equipment (if he did not have it) and they would have setup a new date. As we all know he was trying to get over on the customer.

Work order mistakes falls into two categories IRDs/accessories and System generated mistakes due to bad information

IRD/Accdssories These happen when the ordering agent make a mistake in the system and they offten are mitakes where it setup for swap replace verse swap relocate or for new installs just plain wrong equipment which I blame clearly on sales .

System mistakes these happen when the tech does not updates us when they make a change to the system configuration . Great example I was orginally setup for a Legacy SL5 install when I moved into my place . I tech impact drill died on him on ( as in released the magic smoke died) and could not drill through the brick. So He put an SL5 up as I had on my order 1 d11 2 hr22 and a UTV unit at the time that I had made sure they ad put odnw on the work order. So his solution was simple he put an swm8 switch. ran the utv and the 1 d11 off the 3 legacy ports as the room with the utv already had 2 lines in there. and use the swm side for the hr 22s. Now where this is all going is that he never called in and told his hsp or corporate that he put in a swm8 so the SWM check box on my account never got marked. ( it just a check mark in the system saying I have swm equipment installed ) So when I had an issue with my swm8 switch and they sent a tech out on a SC the tech had a 6x8 not a swm8 and wanted to charge me to run the two extra lines (extra 1 to each hr22) I told him no call in fine someone with a swm8 and I will reschedule. That did not go over well and I went to reschedule to find out that the tech had canceled my sc as issued resolved. Knowning that switches are something that the system autogenerates based on the equipment and account settings I knew exactly what happened. Got the swm box check and got swm8 listed on my equipment list on my account. That fix the problem, a problem that could of been easily resolved if Tech #1 had just notified dtv what he had done.

Had one Friday...an MRV/Cinema Plus upgrade swapping out an R15 for an HR24.....3 existing HR24s and that R15 on the account. SWM 16 necessary (as best we can figure) for 9th line/tuner. We as a group are assuming the BB deca is to be considered a tuner. DTV added SWM 16 to w/order no sweat, but it was not correct from the start. Did not have SWM 16 on truck as we get them on an as needed basis from Mastec warehouse.

Just FYI, the BB DECA does NOT count as a tuner. It needs a splitter port but that's all. So a four DVR installation plus a BB DECA only needs an SWM8 (or an SWM LNB).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts