Hadley, PA Antenna Question

solarvic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Hadley, pa.
Primestar 31 Is there any antenna that get vhf low? I looked at the ones you posted for vhf high. I want to get wqed channel 13 pbs in Pittsburgh pa. which is broadcast on vhf 4 now.

I understand that you need uhf antenna. I suppose I should start my own post. I do have a very large channel master antenna. My rotor is broke and I will lay the tower down after winter is over and then I will know if I can get the vhf low channel 4 I want to receive. I plan to have multiple antennas which I already am using the televise to receive erie Pa. It gets all the channels including 12 that is broadcast on vhf 12 frequency and a lot of them on the back side from Youngstown. I don,t even have it permantly installed. Just a couple bungee cords on my back porch about 4 ft high. And I get most of the Youngstown channels. Pittsburgh has some vhf channels and also stubenville ohio. some channels in Cleveland ohio. If you look on some of the channel charts there are some that says I can,t get any channels at all. Also have an antop 800sbsj which will blow your socks off. I loaned it to a friend and he ordered 1 and 2 other friends of his were so impressed they ordered them Also.

Pittsburgh is almost 70 miles from you. If you are on top of a ridge with maybe 1 edge sight to the station, it might be possible with a strong all channel antenna or with a signle channel (Ch. 4) antenna. If you are down in a valley - not much hope.

Pittsburgh is almost 70 miles from you. If you are on top of a ridge with maybe 1 edge sight to the station, it might be possible with a strong all channel antenna or with a signle channel (Ch. 4) antenna. If you are down in a valley - not much hope.

Though that might be true, if you are willing to spend the money for a good antenna and such, with the possibility it might not work, I'd say go ahead and try it. OTA tv reception has a voodoo aspect to it, and you never know.

Mike, I think my antenna is a channel master cm-5020 that I got while they were made in usa. The vhf is 54-216 MHz and uhf 470-700 mhz. 100 mile vhf, 60 mile uhf. rotor is broke and I will have to wait till I put a new rotor on the antenna. I could get vhf before but not as low as channel 4. Think it will work. I checked out the rca antenna site and they said no info for my zip code.

Solarvic, I'm curious about your real world experience pulling in Pittsburgh, Erie, and Youngstown locals from Hadley. I recently purchased a house on the east side of Greenville, and will be moving there from Pittsburgh in the future. You mentioned the Antop 800SBS in another thread, and that it worked pretty well. Is it Omni-directional, or does it favor one face or another? I want to still get my Pittsburgh locals but my Dish account will only get me Youngstown unless I fool with the address. Thanks for your input.

My location is about 1 mile north of hadley which is a lot higher elevation than village of Hadley which is in a valley along the little shenango river. At present my antenna rotator is broken and antenna not pointed to pittsburg. It is a large channel master antenna and I could get alot of pittsburg channels except wtae channel 4. I had it aimed at a spot where I also got stubenville ohio and sometimes wheeling West virginia. aand the youngstown ohio channels and acron channels. There is also a low power channel from Hermetage ctvn channel. I have a televese antenna model model DAT HD bBoss 790 lr that is good for 80 miles. ref. no.149881 No updatted to 149883. I got it bungy strapped on my porch railing about 6 feet off the ground and get the erie stations. I got a antop 800 SBS antenna to use on my daughters camper on a 10 foot piece of pipe and got erie and youngstown channels with my house blocking the signals from youngstown. I loaned the Antop to a buddy to try out because the took fox channel off of dish. He said that with it laying on the ground he was getting Erie stations and youngstown stations. HHe said when he was setting on his porch it picked up some Pittsburgh channels.
So for you i think it could make some difference how far east in Greenville you are. Greenville is in a valley too along the shenango river. When you go east the elevation keeps getting higher. Going west you go up a long steep hill and at the top of the hill is where the satelite antenna and ota is located for the cable company. The antop antenna is flat and about 3 inches thick and gets stations both on the front and back. I would still put up an outside antenna as there is a lot more channels available than what dish will give you.

WTAE is actually on channel 27 now but it is also 15-20 miles further south of Pittsburgh than the other stations there, about 82 miles south of you. With a UHF channel, 82 miles is asking for a minor miracle with 2 edge reception.
WOED, a PBS station is on RF channel 4 in Pittsburgh, about 69 miles south of you.

This info is from Rabbitears.info website.

Thanks. House is on east side, within eyesight of the high school. I lived in the house 30 years ago, when the Pittsburgh and Cleveland locals were all difficult to get except at night, so we were limited to Youngstown. Also thinking about that Stellar Labs 30-2370 up on the roof with a rotor as well. My TV Fool report shows Youngstown and Erie being exactly opposite, so the Antop would be good for that, with the proper elevation. That Televas unit looks interesting too.

Thanks. House is on east side, within eyesight of the high school. I lived in the house 30 years ago, when the Pittsburgh and Cleveland locals were all difficult to get except at night, so we were limited to Youngstown. Also thinking about that Stellar Labs 30-2370 up on the roof with a rotor as well. My TV Fool report shows Youngstown and Erie being exactly opposite, so the Antop would be good for that, with the proper elevation. That Televas unit looks interesting too.

I have two different UHF-VHF models of the Televes antennas. They have an incredible low noise preamp with two separate parallel outputs---which makes them shine on UHF. VHF High Band is a stretch, because you have little more than the equivalent of a dipole and a great preamp for channels 7-13.
Another weak area on these antennas is the placement and quality of the VHF elements supplied.
They bend very easily and it takes very little effort to break them off one side at a time, by accident or on purpose. I could not recommend these for Low Band 2-6, because they are not rated below VHF ch 7 (174-180 MHz). While they don't exist anymore, there was once a five element yagi made by Antennacraft for the low VHF band. Beer can quality materials, but still very good for gain while they were still new.
Cross your fingers and use your previous old school VHF-UHF all band antenna. If you need to replace, there are still monster sized Winegard antennas of this type for sale. And as advised before, this is a crapshoot depending upon the terrain between you and Pittsburgh, not to mention increased electrical interference issues on the low VHF band itself, which will notice every lightning strike in the area.

Mike! I was a customer of yours and listened to you when you were on satelite radio. I got one of the last big usa made channel master antenna. The cm rotors do not last long and I got a yausa 450 actuator for a replacement. The lowest broadcast frequency for erie is 12 but not reliable as I only have televese mounted about 6 feet off the ground. I think when I put it or the up either the televese or antop sbs 800 around 25 feet I will do ok with erie pa. When I am done I will either have 3 or 4 antenna,s.

Mike! I was a customer of yours and listened to you when you were on satelite radio. I got one of the last big usa made channel master antenna. The cm rotors do not last long and I got a yausa 450 actuator for a replacement. The lowest broadcast frequency for erie is 12 but not reliable as I only have televese mounted about 6 feet off the ground. I think when I put it or the up either the televese or antop sbs 800 around 25 feet I will do ok with erie pa. When I am done I will either have 3 or 4 antenna,s.
Mike helped me years ago too, setting up Shaw Direct in Fairbanks. Used two 4 foot dishes bought locally but used his numbers for sizing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)