Hagerstown NBC 25 to come to DC subs

"On Tuesday, DISH spokesman Mark Cicero said, "We are exploring the possibility of adding WHAG (NBC25) in the future ... but have no more comments to make at this time," in a message he left on a reporter's answering machine. "

Sounds too vague to me. I hope it will work out, but WHAG's best bet was to ask for "Must Carry" status and not retransmission consent this last election period. Only time will tell.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Sounds too vague to me. I hope it will work out, but WHAG's best bet was to ask for "Must Carry" status and not retransmission consent this last election period. Only time will tell.
See ya
Tony

If you will recall there were lawsuits last time when both providers refused to carry this station even though they had electred must carry. In the end the station won an emnpty victory in that D* was ordered to carry them IF the ststion could get a decent signal to the PoP.

DISH setled with them and apparently will carry the station after E 10 is operational. I am wondering what this says about wher the DC locals will be broadcast from but I know that I should not read too much into it all.

FWIW here is an update including a statement from E* http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=128131&format=html

DISH currently denies making the statement quoted in Tony's post. I can't say if they did or not. But here isa more complete quote from the article

"On Tuesday, DISH spokesman Mark Cicero said, "We are exploring the possibility of adding WHAG (NBC25) in the future ... but have no more comments to make at this time," in a message he left on a reporter's answering machine.

In a phone interview Wednesday afternoon, Cicero denied saying there was no agreement. He said that when a reporter asked him Tuesday, his response was that he could neither confirm nor deny that there's a deal."

But it will be nice to see Channel 25.

Last edited:
I get excellent OTA - but MPT not very well here in Burke, VA. If MPT were added to LiLs, esp HD LiLs, I might subscribe.

navychop said:
I get excellent OTA - but MPT not very well here in Burke, VA. If MPT were added to LiLs, esp HD LiLs, I might subscribe.

And there is an MPT station in the market----the one in Frederick. When LiL first came along I asked DISH about it. They insisted that tehy can only carry what the FCC allows trhem to. When I asked how D* can offer it in the DC market and they don't they repeated that they can only offer what the FCC allows them to offer. In other words they don't choose to offer it here.

In fairness they currently carry MPT in the Baltimore market from a different satellite position than the ones used for DC locals. My guess is that is the real explanation.

Last edited:
jlabsher said:
I just wish we could get Baltimore locals. The local cable already carries them (as well as MPT). A break from the DC fishbowl news would be refreshing.

I wish so too. Interestingly while DC locals are considered significantly viewed in many counties in the Baltimore DMA I don't think that the reverse is true.

I suspect that DTV gets away with providing MPT to DC because of the MPT station in Frederick. But both providers may well have a valid argument on not providing other Baltimore locals.

Last edited:
This is 4 months old. Has anyone heard anything more recent?

navychop said:

Navychop, what kind of OTA antenna do you use? I'm in Fairfax, near George Mason, and I get decent (70's) signal for the DC major's, nothing from Baltimore. Signals are significantly weaker in the fall. I currently have a decent size VHF/UHF in the attick. The OTA is diplex'ed with the satellite feed for about half of the cable length. Any tips? Thanks.

Now that Baltimore locals are on 110, it would take zero bandwidth to add MPT to the D.C. locals. Perhaps some agreement with PBS / WETA precludes adding another public station?

bbrukx:

I use the CM3010 StealthTenna with internal amp, roof mounted, 5 foot pole/tripod. I feed several TVs, etc, via a distro amp. One line is diplexed. No rotor. Analog channel 22 is viewable here.

I am about to move across from Geo Mason U. The elevation is about 200' higher, I believe, so that may help. That, and a CM3671 & pre-amp.

No one said that it was available for viewing. This has been an ongoing drama. Since the reported problem was one of getting it to the PoP and that has apparently been solved---and since there was an announcement of carriage soon---maybe it will happen after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)