Half of my HD channels now in the red including Sci-FI

reboot the DVR. worked for me.

If you can't see the SciFiHD channel, just flip over to the SD channel since it's mostly SD content anyway. Sure glad everyone was crying to get that channel. :rolleyes:

I recorded BSG in HD last night this morning though SciFi, USA, Hist, Disc, and ESPN2 all in the red.

Hub

Had this same thing happen to me the other night - I called dish tech support and they walkedme through some steps and I got them back - had to re set something I guess. It wasn't a big deal. Call Dish. or - try turning the power off and then on again to see if that works.:eureka

This seems to be happening occasionally, i personally have seen it twice on my dvr and once on another. Always seems to happen around the time of the uplinks, and a reboot fixes it.

This morning half of my hd channels including Sci-Fi are in the red. What is up with this?

Hub:mad:

I have only the HD versions of SCIFI and USA. I have both versions for CNN. (I have the HD Only package).

I called Dish last night and the CSR said I was not supposed to get both versions as I have the HD Only package. I told her that is not the way it works -- I need both versions because not all our receivers are HD. She said I was lucky I was getting both versions on the other channels. We had a heated discussion (mostly about her lack of knowledge on Dish packages and I finally got her to transfer me to tech (after 4 requests and finally 1 demand) and I was told it will probably be set up properly tomorrow (Saturday).

I still didn't have the SD versions this morning and I have just done a reboot and I still don't have the SD versions of SCIFI and USA...

By the way, I haven't seen any HD on SCIFI. Programs are in 16x9 format but have black borders on top, bottom and sides. What's up with that?

I called Dish last night and the CSR said I was not supposed to get both versions as I have the HD Only package. I told her that is not the way it works -- I need both versions because not all our receivers are HD. She said I was lucky I was getting both versions on the other channels. We had a heated discussion (mostly about her lack of knowledge on Dish packages and I finally got her to transfer me to tech (after 4 requests and finally 1 demand) and I was told it will probably be set up properly tomorrow (Saturday

I'm not an expert on this matter, but I'm pretty sure that the HD-Only package is not supposed to include any SD versions of channels (except locals due to must-carry rules).

If you have a 722 or 622 receiver, then both outputs on those receivers can show HD channels on SD TVs.

The whole point of HD-Only is that it is only HD...

By the way, I haven't seen any HD on SCIFI. Programs are in 16x9 format but have black borders on top, bottom and sides. What's up with that?

Programs from Europe (like Doctor Who) are filmed in 16x9 SD. If you press the " * " button on your remote, then you change the format to "Zoom" which will fill the screen. Remember to change it back afterwards ! ;)

I have only the HD versions of SCIFI and USA. I have both versions for CNN. (I have the HD Only package).

I called Dish last night and the CSR said I was not supposed to get both versions as I have the HD Only package. I told her that is not the way it works -- I need both versions because not all our receivers are HD. She said I was lucky I was getting both versions on the other channels. We had a heated discussion (mostly about her lack of knowledge on Dish packages and I finally got her to transfer me to tech (after 4 requests and finally 1 demand) and I was told it will probably be set up properly tomorrow (Saturday).

I still didn't have the SD versions this morning and I have just done a reboot and I still don't have the SD versions of SCIFI and USA...

I dont think you suppose to get the SD versions if you have the HD only pack.
If you look at this page it states "Over 40 Great HD Channels (contains HD channels only)"
DISH Network -- Dish HD

I'm not an expert on this matter, but I'm pretty sure that the HD-Only package is not supposed to include any SD versions of channels (except locals due to must-carry rules).

If you have a 722 or 622 receiver, then both outputs on those receivers can show HD channels on SD TVs.

The whole point of HD-Only is that it is only HD...

Programs from Europe (like Doctor Who) are filmed in 16x9 SD. If you press the " * " button on your remote, then you change the format to "Zoom" which will fill the screen. Remember to change it back afterwards ! ;)

I get both the SD and HD versions of every HD channel in the HD Only package (even CNN added Wednesday) EXCEPT the 2 latest additions (SCIFI and USA)...

Are these programs supposed to be HD? I hope not, because PQ in very good...

Yes they are SD 16:9. If SciFi HD had their act together they would upconvert them to 16:9 HD (i.e. ZOOM). It is not like they do not know the format of these shows well in advance. Perhaps in the future they will get it right. They should show all 16:9 content full 16:9 not 16:9 in a 4:3 box. I do not want true 4:3 content stretched, black bars is fine, just the 16:9 content displayed at 16:9 even if it is only SD, the studio's (SciFi's) zoom should be much better quality than the 622/722s. Right now you have a 16:9 image in a 4:3 480i picture converted to MPEG-2 16:9 HD with bars on side reconverted to 16:9 MPEG-4 HD by Dish then zoomed by your reciever.

I get both the SD and HD versions of every HD channel in the HD Only package (even CNN added Wednesday) EXCEPT the 2 latest additions (SCIFI and USA).....
Me too! And everyone who has posted about this issue, that actually has the dishHD only package, has reported that they have had the SD versions of ALL the HD channels since the very beginning of the package until the last two channels added yesterday. So if having the SD versions is a 'mistake', it has been going on since it's inception.

FWIW I find the speculation, offered as information, that has been posted about the dishHD (only) package by some folks, who don't actually have the package, to be very misleading. For example, there has been speculation that....
1- the dishHD package would not get any new National HD - WRONG
2- if the dishHD package did get new National HD, the price would go up - WRONG

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
Good golly uncle bob.... the literal interpretation of the HD Only package bites the dust again :)

Speculation #3- the dishHD (only) packages does/should not include the SD equivalents of HD channels - WRONG.

Now the SD versions of all 3 new Nation HD channels that were added last week are available to dishHD (only) subs :)

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts