Ham radio via geosyncronous satellite?

I wish we had a geosynchronous satellite repeater on 2 Meter/ 70 cm, that was over NA. Heck I would be fine with 1.2GHz. Would give me a reason to buy a 23cm radio.

2M is fairly busy in the evenings. Between repeaters and the Internet crossover connections I've talked with people from Spain and England in the east all the way to Guam in the west. I even connected with a guy aboard a tug boat going up the Hudson river once.

Same here as Mario said, 2M is dead here also. A few years ago, you could not hardly get a comment in edgewise over several repeaters. Sad thing too is, as repeaters die; they are taking longer to get fixed or not at all. :(

Reactions: raydio
There is a fair amount of 2m band activity in my area, many 70cm linked repeaters also. If I put my call out, someone somewhere usually responds. However, the 1.25cm band is under used. My club repeater gets little use locally which is a shame because it has great coverage and reasonably priced transceivers are available.

Reactions: KE4EST
Here in Albuquerque, is a mixed bag mostly on 2m, 1.2m and 70 cm.

But no luck on local 6m, 33m and 23cm because we don't have one for RPT on 3 bands in Albuquerque metro areas.:rolleyes:

And yes I wish we have our very own Geo ham sat over NA using uplink on 24.0 to 24.2 GHz and downlink on 10.0 to 10.2 GHz range. I know 10.0 to 10.5 is for full range on terrestrial modes.:)

Reason I think 24 GHz is much easier with more antenna uplink gain and smaller antenna to be had with!:bow

What you think of it?

I'm not going to post specific info and frequencies, but the Russians have a group of satellites that have inputs in an amateur band and downlinks elsewhere and they constantly pick up US amateur transmissions by accident and rebroadcast them all over the place. I have transmitted legally with my amateur callsign on an amateur frequency on the west coast and have been heard in the middle of the US with good copy and the receive station had a directional antenna pointed up at the satellite(s).

The reason I won't get too specific is we don't want everyone purposely taking over the Russian satellites for hobby use, but they are there and they do work.

Reactions: spongella
I'm not going to post specific info and frequencies, but the Russians have a group of satellites that have inputs in an amateur band and downlinks elsewhere and they constantly pick up US amateur transmissions by accident and rebroadcast them all over the place. I have transmitted legally with my amateur callsign on an amateur frequency on the west coast and have been heard in the middle of the US with good copy and the receive station had a directional antenna pointed up at the satellite(s).

The reason I won't get too specific is we don't want everyone purposely taking over the Russian satellites for hobby use, but they are there and they do work.
HI,
Please contact me off-line to discuss this.
This is very exciting, actually.
Huge Emcomm use implication.
kc9sgv AT gmail Dott com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)